Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
A Little RB Love
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
Auburn has plenty of help at tailback
Former Opelika star Grant among those at crowded area

By: Ryan Wood | rwood@oanow.com
Published: August 02, 2012 Updated: August 02, 2012 - 10:46 PM

AUBURN -- With arguably the deepest group of tailbacks he’s had in four seasons at Auburn, running backs coach Curtis Luper has gotten creative.

Under new offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler, Luper said the Tigers will have two running backs on the field “a lot of times.” Throughout the season, Luper said several running backs will get time in the backfield.

But the position is a bottleneck of talent — with more quality running backs than available carries — and creativity will only do so much. To maximize the luxury of having several good football players at one position, Auburn will use an old-school, pay-your-dues approach.

“We’ve got numbers,” Luper said. “If we need to help this team on special teams, you’ll see some these young guys out there helping us on special teams before you see them with the ball.”
Opelikanative Corey Grant could fall in that category.

Grant carried momentum from a strong spring into the summer. He worked out almost every day, even by himself sometimes on the weekends.

Grant said he weighed 203 pounds when he reported to fall camp, gaining 10 pounds over the offseason. He expects his hard work to pay off with time on the field, though Grant still has work to do before he can become Auburn’s featured tailback.

“Right now I see myself as a big contributor on special teams, and just wherever I can help on offense as running back because we have different things that we do,” Grant said. “So wherever I fit in, but I think I’ll be a big contributor on special teams.

“Hopefully all this hard work comes out to playing time.”

Perhaps most players wouldn’t sound so content having a big role on special teams, especially this early in fall camp. But when asked if he would accept that position on the team, Grant only needed two words.

“Yes, sir,” he said.

It’s the kind of attitude that has won him favor at Auburn, especially with head coach Gene Chizik

“We love how Corey works,” Chizik said. “He’s a very reliable young man. He loves football. He’s one of those tough guys on your team that we’re trying to find exactly where he’ll fit and what his roles will be — whether it be offense or special teams. What special teams will he be effective on?

“He’s very fast. He’s very strong. Then at the running back slot — what his best attribute is carrying the football. Corey is still developing. He’s a young guy who has three years of football left.”

Hard working with a good attitude. That’s Chizik’s type of guy.

But it doesn’t make it easy to figure out where Grant fits on the field. As fall camp continues, the answer will become clearer.

“We’ll find out when we pad it up,” Luper said. “And we’ll have some healthy competition for the first time since we’ve been here. We’ve never had more than three tailbacks. I’m kind of excited about that.

“A lot of times you’ll see Tre (Mason) and Onterio (McCalebb) and Corey and whoever, you’ll see us with multiple running backs on the field. ... I’m pretty certain that Tre and Onterio can help us win in this league, but we need that third guy to help us.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: A Little RB Love
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
Hell Yeah, we bringing back the Wishbone, the Box and the Maryland I...WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »
From that pic of Tre yesterday, he looks to be beefed up some.  He was listed at 196 on the spring roster and Blakely was listed at 206.  It'd be nice to get our backs bigger since it looks like we'll be running between the tackles a good bit more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »
With all the ? at QB maybe it's time to go with this on offense.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
With all the ? at QB maybe it's time to go with this on offense.

That'll never work, the SS and the T are unblocked.

That play is called ”Punt Team Get Ready!!”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
That'll never work, the SS and the T are unblocked.

That play is called ”Punt Team Get Ready!!”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »

Those are illegal formations (not enough men on the LOS) and Illegal man downfield (Tackles can't go downfield unless the ball is thrown behind the LOS).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »
Those are illegal formations (not enough men on the LOS) and Illegal man downfield (Tackles can't go downfield unless the ball is thrown behind the LOS).
Penn Wagers is all over it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
Who stole Tony Franklin's playbook?

I'm pretty sure that is the playbook Les Miles used in the BCSCG.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is the playbook Les Miles used in the BCSCG.

It's the playbook he used all last season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions