Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Olympics

Olympics
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
I love the Olympics.  Winter or summer, it doesn't really matter to me.  I think part of that is that other than college football I get bored with the big three sports in the US.  I'll even watch some of the World Cup when it rolls around.  But I think what I really love are some of the stories that always come about (and I'm not talking about the schmaltzy crap that the networks show about how some gymnast is competing for her dead great grandmother).  I mean the real feuding country stuff.  Israel vs Iran in wrestling, USA vs USSR in basketball, East Germany vs USSR in who can mule the most drugs.  Also the underdog stories of kids who went out with nothing but a pair of homemade running shoes and ended up with Olympic gold.

An example of what I'm talking about is in this great story from 1936 about the rowing competition.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/fivering_circus/2012/07/_1936_olympics_rowing_the_greatest_underdog_nazi_defeating_american_olympic_victory_you_ve_never_heard_of_.html

I'll just post some excerpts, cause it is pretty long.

Sportswriter Grantland Rice called it the "high spot" of the 1936 Olympics. Bill Henry, who called the race for CBS, said it was "the outstanding victory of the Olympic Games." The event they’re describing wasn’t staged in Berlin’s Olympic Stadium, and it had nothing to do with Jesse Owens. It took place in the suburb of Grunau, when a group of college kids from the United States took on Germany and Italy in front of Hitler and 75,000 fans screaming for the Third Reich.

On the morning of Aug. 14, many people in Seattle woke up excited to catch the regatta’s final event live on CBS. Those listeners had a vested interest in the race. The United States team, a crew from the University of Washington, came very close to missing the trip to Berlin. Immediately following the Huskies’ victory in the Olympic trials, the team was informed by the U.S. Olympic Committee that it needed to come up with $5,000 to pay its way to Berlin. Seeing an opening, Henry Penn Burke—chairman of the Olympic Rowing Committee and a University of Pennsylvania alum—offered to send his beloved Quakers in place of the Huskies. The sports editors of Seattle's top two newspapers, outraged on behalf of the local heroes, enlisted newsboys to solicit donations while hawking papers. With American Legion posts and Chambers of Commerce throughout the state chipping in, enough money was collected in three days to send the team to Berlin. As a consequence of the funding drive, remembered Gordon Adam, who rowed in the three-seat, "people in the city felt that they were stockholders in the operation."

Unlike its competition from the Ivy League, the Washington crew was composed of kids from working- and middle-class families. Rowing, then as now, was considered an elite sport. The 1924 Yale crew that won the gold medal in Paris, for instance, featured both a Rockefeller and Benjamin Spock (yes, Dr. Spock). But the Husky rowers could barely afford lunch, much less a trip to Berlin. Several paid their college tuition and living expenses from money earned through the National Youth Administration, a New Deal organization. "We used to sweep out the pavilion that was used for basketball and other events, we did the football field, we sold tickets, we ushered," McMillin remembered. His teammate Gordon Adam worked as a janitor’s assistant, washing windows and scrubbing floors for $15 a month.

Despite third-class accommodations, the crew enjoyed themselves on the passage to Europe. But Don Hume and John White caught colds on the boat, and others felt seasick. When the Manhattan arrived in Hamburg, the team was relieved to be back on land. But gray fog encased Berlin throughout the Olympics, with rain and an unseasonable cold spell chilling and dampening the massive Köpenick police barracks where the team was bunking. A particularly brutal qualifying race, in which the Huskies set the Olympic record while narrowly edging out a strong British eight, only exacerbated Hume's illness. He passed out at the finish line, only to revive when Moch splashed cold water on him. The victory, however, allowed the Huskies to rest while other boats fought through additional qualifying races.

As the German crew powered toward the finish line, the crowd chanted “Deutsch-land! Deutsch-land!” in time with each stroke. The noise swelled, and the rowers sensed the finish line closing in. The Americans had to make their move. Moch, the coxswain, stared at Hume's face. With about 800 meters remaining his eyes opened and he began rowing with authority. Responding to Hume's emerging strength, the boat's stroke rating rose.

High above the grandstand at the finish line, CBS' Bill Henry watched the final sprint unfold:

It looks as though the United States [is] beginning to pour it on now! The Washington crew is driving hard on the outside of the course, they are coming very close now to getting into the lead! They have about 500 meters to go, perhaps a little less than 500 meters, and there is no question in the world that Washington has made up a tremendous amount of distance. … They have moved up definitely into third place. Italy is still leading, Germany is second, and Washington—the United States—has come up very rapidly on the outside. They are crowding up to the finish now with less than a quarter of a mile to go!

Click on the player below to listen to Henry’s call:

The resolve built from countless hours of practice kicked in. Within 300 meters, the Huskies pulled even with the tiring Germans and Italians. A supposed transcript of the German radio call, as published in a post-Olympic program, captures the excitement: “Still Italy! Then Germany! Now England! Ah, the Americans—their powerful spurts are irresistible! Their oars rip massively through the water!”

The crowd's roar became deafening as the three boats matched each other stroke for stroke. As they crossed the line together, the rowers couldn’t tell who had won. The men in all three boats recoiled or collapsed in exhaustion as the crowd quieted down to await the results. “Nobody said a word," Moch remembered.

After an interminable wait, the announcement came over the loudspeaker: USA 6:25.4, Italy 6:26.0, Germany 6:26.4. After almost six-and-a-half minutes of racing, just one second separated the three boats.

Anybody else gonna be watching?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:20:26 PM »
Ready to see Lebron and Team USA tear up some ass.

Ready to see Lochte and Phelps embarass the rest of the world while battling for first.

Usain Bolt - no further explanation needed. He is fun to watch.

Galen Rupp - do we finally have a kid that can beat the Kenyans in long distance running? We'll see.

Damn right Im ready for the summer games!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »
I'll be watching.  Something special about Olympic games and the coverage.  How cool would it be to be an athlete on the U.S. Olympic team in any sport? 

And 2000, I'm the same way with World Cup.  I don't follow soccer and couldn't name 3 current players in the world today.  But it's hard not to get caught up in something like that with fans that passionate about it.  Going to a World Cup match is on my bucket list of sporting events. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
I'll be watching.  Something special about Olympic games and the coverage.  How cool would it be to be an athlete on the U.S. Olympic team in any sport? 

And 2000, I'm the same way with World Cup.  I don't follow soccer and couldn't name 3 current players in the world today.  But it's hard not to get caught up in something like that with fans that passionate about it.  Going to a World Cup match is on my bucket list of sporting events.

I understand the int'l appeal of the World Cup and won't argue that it's a big deal but there is nothing in the same league as the Olympics. What's it like, 2 weeks of coverage all day every day? Geez. I'm ready. Opening ceremonies tonight!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
I understand the int'l appeal of the World Cup and won't argue that it's a big deal but there is nothing in the same league as the Olympics. What's it like, 2 weeks of coverage all day every day? Geez. I'm ready. Opening ceremonies tonight!

Agreed.  I don't watch a ton of it by any means.  Sometimes, if I'm flipping channels, I may watch a few minutes of soccer because what those guys do is pretty amazing if you've ever tried to play a little of the sport.  But World Cup, I'll actually watch a match or two and keep up with the standings. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »

Figure you to use this.   :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »
Figure you to use this.   :haha:

Everyone's a winner. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
Everyone's a winner.

Old school:  Good job   :thumsup:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Are there more than the normal hot womenz in this years Olympics or is it just me?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
Agreed.  I don't watch a ton of it by any means.  Sometimes, if I'm flipping channels, I may watch a few minutes of soccer because what those guys do is pretty amazing if you've ever tried to play a little of the sport.  But World Cup, I'll actually watch a match or two and keep up with the standings.

I got hooked on World Cup in '02.  The games would be coming on (Live from Japan) while I'm getting dressed in the morning with ESPN on as background noise.  Next thing I know I'm sitting on the couch half dressed an hour late for work because I'm waiting for the injury time to run out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »
So thoughts on the opening ceremony?

Parts of it were good.  Some parts I couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity. 

I mean, since when does Mary Poppins have the power to defeat the darkest wizard of our era?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:38 AM »

I mean, since when does Mary Poppins have the power to defeat the darkest wizard of our era?

It actually scared my kids, no shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »

I enjoyed the parts out national health care.

I did like the bond part thought that was funny.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
It actually scared my kids, no shit.

The gigantic baby was extremely creepy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
I wonder who will win this event:

What Goes On Behind Closed Doors After the Events Are Over

by Henry Krempels Jul 20, 2012 4:45 AM EDT

10,000 athletes, 150,000 condoms … Henry Krempels does the math so you don’t have to.

On Monday, London’s Olympic Village opened its 2,818 apartments to the best  athletes on the planet. For the next four weeks, the village will house an array of personalities, ages, and cultures—all in peak condition and many focusing on a very precise and demanding form of physical activity: sex.

“It’s the most testosterone-fuelled place on earth,” said Russell Mark, a gold-medal–winning Australian target shooter, speaking from his shared room in the village. “People are releasing their frustrations at the end of their event, and so generally that’s when a lot of this takes place. Once your event’s over, you let your hair down.”

Mark, a six-time Olympian and no stranger to village life, admitted that inter-athlete relationships—however fleeting—are an ever-increasing occurrence. Olympic officials seem to agree, in actions if not in words. At the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, the Australian organizing committee distributed 45,000 free condoms in the village. Eight years later in Beijing, 70,000 condoms—labeled with the phrase ‘Faster, Higher, Stronger’—were exhausted and 20,000 more were ordered. This year in London, the Olympic organizing committee is providing 150,000, using special dispensers which contain a message promoting sexual health. Averaged among 10,490 athletes, that’s enough condoms for every athlete to have sex 15 times over the Olympics’ three weeks—double that if, as some claim, they’re all having sex with each other.

“Sex is obviously getting more popular there, or more people are practicing safe sex. One or the other,” Mark said.

Conditions would seem to be ideal for sex in London: The village is smaller than Beijing’s, which itself was smaller than that in Athens in 2004. There are 16,000 single beds, and each apartment accommodates four, six, or eight athletes. There is a gym, an arcade, beer halls and a 24-hour McDonald’s. In short, opportunities to connect will be rife.

But not everyone is having an easy time of it. Mark himself would like to have sex with one of his teammates—skeet shooter Lauren Mark, who is also his wife. But the two have not been allowed to share a bed on the grounds that it would be “putting other athletes out,” as Mark said he was told by Australian Olympic officials.

“I wanted to do something that is not considered normal and my argument is, why isn’t it considered normal? People have sex every day of their lives. Why am I now forced to wait until my wife’s teammates leave the room?”

The Marks aren’t the only ones whose sex lives are a bit complicated: In May, U.S. hurdler Lolo Jones admitted that maintaining her virginity was even harder than training for the Olympics. By July, her U.S. teammate Hope Solo, the soccer team’s goalie, had taken to the press about her life as a professional athlete, recalling rambunctious all-night partying with the actor Vince Vaughn and sneaking back to her room with another celebrity she declined to name. Solo estimated “70 percent to 75 percent of Olympians are having sex during the Games.

Not everyone is playing along, however. Geena Gall, an American 800-meter runner making her Olympic debut this year, is being sequestered by her coach at her training base in Teddington, in southwest London. “I’m going to the Opening Ceremony but I’m not going to stay in the village until three days before my event begins, just to get away from all that. It’s a distraction, and from what I’ve heard from other athletes who’ve been there before it’s a lot to handle.”

‘Sex is obviously getting more popular there, or more people are practicing safe sex. One or the other.’
While the British Olympic Association has “made it clear that this is a shared accommodation space and athletes need to be mindful and respectful,” they will not be enforcing a curfew. BOA spokesperson Darryl Seibel acknowledged to The Daily Beast that sex in the village “happens,” but he said “it is a highly personal matter and none of our business.”       

The International Olympic Committee took the same line, releasing a statement saying that they “leave it up to the discretion of each athlete, as it is a private matter."

Of course, it’s not just sex that the athletes indulge in during their three-week “summer camp,” as the Village was described by Nick Symmonds, the top U.S. 800-meter athlete. Many of the sportsmen and sportswomen can be found in the dining hall after their events—a time which has come to be known as “Days of Glory,” Symmonds said.

“Athletes keep a very rigorous diet going into something like this, and there are the ones who, as soon as their event’s over, you see with their tray piled high with McDonald’s and chocolate cake. The big one for me is alcohol.”

Indeed, in The Secret Olympics, published in May, an anonymous British athlete describes how liquor is hidden using water bottles and other athletes relax with some smuggled marijuana. (All post-event, of course.)           

It’s logical then, that the swimmers—whose events are finished by the end of the first week—have the biggest reputation for indulging in the vices.

“In Beijing we had a beautiful 50-meter pool where everybody was always lounging around, hanging out. It feels like the first day at college when you walk in and you’re looking around. The body types at this level are so well defined,” Symmonds said. “You certainly hear about things happening, but there was really no time for me to explore those sides of the Olympics. It’s nice that the men’s 800 is a little bit earlier this year so I’ll get to see what that’s all about. I guess fingers crossed, right?”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/20/what-goes-on-behind-closed-doors-after-the-events-are-over.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
@MichaelPhelps Congrats to @ryanlochte ... Way to keep that title in the country where it belongs!!

America. 

We need a patriotic emoticon. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »
Care nothing about the Olympics.  Colossal waste of time.  Annoyed by the constant hype.  Won't watch a minute of it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »
Woman sets US record by medaling in an individual event for 5 consecutive Olympics.  You won't hear much about it because it was a shooting sport, but still.

When Kim Rhode, then 17, stood on the podium at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta with her first gold medal hanging from her neck, she never dreamed 16 years later she would make history in London at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, but that's exactly what happened this morning.

Rhode, 33, set a new Olympic record in qualifying for Women's Skeet with 74 hits out of 75. She went on to match her own world record with a perfect 25 in the final for a total of 99 out of 100, winning the gold.

She is the first U.S. athlete in history to medal in an individual sport at five consecutive Olympic Games.

Before today, Rhode had collected two gold medals in the Double Trap event in 1996 and 2004, a bronze in 2000 and a silver in the Skeet at the Beijing 2008 games, cementing herself as one of the best competitive shotgun shooters in the world. And she's not done yet.

"I do not see myself quitting any time soon," Rhode says on the official Olympics website. "I'm looking forward to 2016 and a few more after that. The oldest Olympic medalist was a shooter and he was 72, so I still have a few more in me."

That means continuing her intense training schedule. Rhode shoots as many as 500 to 1,000 shells a day and has continued a dedicated practice routine for 23 years. She estimates she has fired as many as 2 million shotshells in her life.

China's Ning Wir took the silver in Women's Skeet and Slovakia's Danka Bartekova won bronze after a shoot-off with Russia's Martina Belikova.

Some of ya'll might have shot some clay targets in the backyard before, or even some real skeet or trap if you're lucky enough to live close to a range, but International Skeet is a whole other ball game.  Unlike American Skeet you must start with the gun at your hip rather than mounted on your shoulder, the targets are 10mph faster, and there is a delay between calling "pull" and the target releasing.  99 out of 100 is an amazing score.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »
Jordyn Wieber got 2004 Auburn'ed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions