Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Batman Movie Massacre

Re: Batman Movie Massacre
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »

One armed person could have taken out that son of a Hillary.

Is it illegal to own a gun in Aurora, Colorado?

Do we have any documented incidents where a deranged lunatic looking to kill a lot of people has been thwarted by a gun carrying citizen that took him or her out?

I'm not against carrying guns in any way, but I do get tired of these kind of comments.  How would a person carrying a gun stopped this guy?  He hit a crowded room of people with tear gas and it was pitch black for a movie.  A Navy SEAL wouldn't be able to stop that asshole. 

Guns give you the chance to protect yourself. They do not give you the chance to stop psychos from shooting up a bunch of other people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »

Do we have any documented incidents where a deranged lunatic looking to kill a lot of people has been thwarted by a gun carrying citizen that took him or her out?

I'm not against carrying guns in any way, but I do get tired of these kind of comments.  How would a person carrying a gun stopped this guy?  He hit a crowded room of people with tear gas and it was pitch black for a movie.  A Navy SEAL wouldn't be able to stop that asshole. 

Guns give you the chance to protect yourself. They do not give you the chance to stop psychos from shooting up a bunch of other people.

After Va Tech shooting some guys did a study that was on the news that said if a student was armed he only had something like a 5% chance of surviving a shooter busting into the room.  But still that is 5% better than you had before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Token

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »

But there is the thought.  The shooter clearly wasn't looking to die or he would have given the cops a chance....or took his own life.  Do you think he would have hesitated at all if he knew 50% of the people in the audience also had guns?

It's an "if" argument, I know, but it's something to consider.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
But there is the thought.  The shooter clearly wasn't looking to die or he would have given the cops a chance....or took his own life.  Do you think he would have hesitated at all if he knew 50% of the people in the audience also had guns?

It's an "if" argument, I know, but it's something to consider.

Posted below is information regarding Colorado carrying laws. 

There is no law against carrying a firearm in Colorado and there is no law against carrying a concealed one into the movie theater. 

Why didn't the shooter think about that before firing?

Colorado Concealed Carry Permit Information

Click here to view Colorado’s Concealed Carry Permit Map at the bottom of the page.

If you would like to contribute to this page, please post the information in the Colorado State Forums.

Concealed Permit:

Shall Issue to Residents only.

Example Resident Permit:

Issuing Authority:
You can apply to the sheriff of your home county, the sheriff of the county in which you own or rent real property to operate a business, or the sheriff of the county in which you currently hold a permit.

NICS/Background Check:
Yes

Permit Valid For:
Permits are valid for five years.

Processing Time:

Cost:
Initial Applications: TOTAL $52.50
CCIC Fingerprint check $17.50
InstaCheck $13.00
FBI Fingerprint check $22.00

Temporary Emergency Permits: TOTAL $30.50
InstaCheck $13.00

Renewals: (Fingerprints previously sent to CBI) TOTAL $13.00
InstaCheck $13.00

Renewals: (Fingerprints NOT previously sent to CBI) TOTAL $52.50
InstaCheck $13.00
FBI Fingerprint check $22.00

Requirements:
1. Colorado resident
2. Age 21 or older
3. Not precluded by state or federal law from owning or possessing a firearm (e.g. felony conviction, mentally incompetent)
4. Does not chronically or habitually abuse alcohol
5. Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to controlled substances
6. Is not the subject of a civil or criminal restraining order
7. Complete background check, including fingerprint verification by FBI/CBI
8. Demonstrates competence with a handgun by one of the following means:
a. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service
b. certified firearms instructor
c. honorable discharge from the Armed Forces within past three yearss
d. proof of pistol qualification in Armed Forces within past ten years, if discharged
e. retired law enforcement with pistol qualification within past ten years
f. proof of completion of a handgun training class within the past ten years

Required Documents:
1. Completed application
2. Copy of your training certificate
3. Cop0y of your driver’s license
4. State ID Card or Passport photo
5. Application Fee

Renewal Information:
Permit may be renewed as early as 120 days before expiration or as late as six months after expiration. Renewal fee is $25; an additional late fee of $15 must be paid if the permit has expired.

Change of Name or Address:
You need to notify the issuing sheriff of your change of address within thirty days after you move.

Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Permits:

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:

Automobile carry:
You may carry concealed in an automobile for protection while traveling or for any other lawful purpose while lawfully engaged in hunting.

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Any place prohibited by federal law (e.g. federal offices or courthouse)
2. Any property of public school grades kindergarten through 12, unless the firearm remains inside a container in a locked vehicle
3. Any public building that prohibits ALL weapons which posts guards and permanent metal detectors at all entrances and requires all entrants to surrender handguns to security personnel before entry

Alcohol and Drugs:
It is unlawful to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Colorado is a Castle Doctrine state and does have a stand-your-ground law.

Open Carry:
Unrestricted under state law; localities may regulate this aspect independently.

http://www.usacarry.com/colorado_concealed_carry_permit_information.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »
Posted below is information regarding Colorado carrying laws. 

There is no law against carrying a firearm in Colorado and there is no law against carrying a concealed one into the movie theater. 

Why didn't the shooter think about that before firing?

http://www.usacarry.com/colorado_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

People don't know about the open carry law.  Hell, some police officers don't know about open carry laws.  My point is (as is most 2nd amendment thumpers) IF more people knew the law, and IF more people decided to carry most of the time, things would change. 

If you were carrying a gun, and witnessed an armed robbery taking place in a convenience store, would you shoot the suspect?  Maybe you wouldn't.  But you'd have a choice.  I'd say less than 5% of our country carries at all times.  Criminals know that.  But what if 50% carried?  What about 80%?  What if every day, an armed robber was shot and killed in the act of a felony by a citizen who was carrying?  What if everyday, a burglar was shot and killed breaking into someone's house by the homeowner or neighbor?   You don't think that would deter some of the crime? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
A Navy SEAL wouldn't be able to stop that asshole.
I'd put $500 down on the SEAL.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
My wife gets on my case when I carry my pistol somewhere. She doesn't like guns. For example, if I carry in a restaurant, her theory is if it is so unsafe that I need to carry my pistol in there then we shouldn't be there. But my point is, it is unsafe EVERYWHERE. Shit like this can happen anywhere. If somebody was carrying in there, who knows. Maybe they could have got a lucky shot off and hit the shooter. Maybe not. But at least there would have been some sort of chance. Even if it saved only one person from being injured, or killed, then the purpose of carrying would have been served.

Of course, gun control nuts will have a field day with this. Guns are no different than knives, baseball bats, alcohol, gasoline, matches, etc. In the hands of the right people who are responsible, there isn't a problem. In the hands of those who want to do harm, they are dangerous. Guns don't cause violence anymore than forks cause people to be fat. It all falls on the person using it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
People don't know about the open carry law.  Hell, some police officers don't know about open carry laws.  My point is (as is most 2nd amendment thumpers) IF more people knew the law, and IF more people decided to carry most of the time, things would change. 

If you were carrying a gun, and witnessed an armed robbery taking place in a convenience store, would you shoot the suspect?  Maybe you wouldn't.  But you'd have a choice.  I'd say less than 5% of our country carries at all times.  Criminals know that.  But what if 50% carried?  What about 80%?  What if every day, an armed robber was shot and killed in the act of a felony by a citizen who was carrying?  What if everyday, a burglar was shot and killed breaking into someone's house by the homeowner or neighbor?   You don't think that would deter some of the crime?

I'm sure it would.  But people don't want to live their life ready to shoot others.  That's a utopian fairy tale. 

We can't stop criminal acts.  Unfortunately, if a person wants to ruin a bunch of people's lives, they can do it with ease.  Issuing justice is a different matter. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
I'm sure it would.  But people don't want to live their life ready to shoot others.  That's a utopian fairy tale. 

We can't stop criminal acts.  Unfortunately, if a person wants to ruin a bunch of people's lives, they can do it with ease.  Issuing justice is a different matter.
Deterrence is a great thing. It's why we still keep nuclear weapons. It's why people buy alarm systems. It's why people lock their cars and homes. It's why Wal Mart has cameras. You might not catch every one, but you're going to make people think twice.

If some guy walked into a gas station with every intention of robbing it, and saw 2-3 customers in there carrying guns, do you think he is going to still rob it? I doubt that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »
This sick fuck also booby trapped his apartment.

The news stations are covering it live.  Police are trying to set off trip wires so they can enter his apartment. 

I also saw on CNN that he had died his hair red and was referring to himself as the Joker. 

Cue Moms Against Fun. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
Why?
If a guy can score a shot between the eyes of a Somali pirate in a dinghy at 150 yards from a ship that is bobbing up and down on the high seas, a little smoke in a theater isn't going to be much of a challenge to him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
Shit like this happens in the hippy dippy states. It does not happen in Texas (maybe Austin). 

I guarantee you that there were at LEAST five legal handguns and probably one or two illegal ones at the last movie I saw.

These fuckers want to kill sheep. They don't pull stunts like this in places where there may be a wolf in sheep's clothing.  That should speak volumes to the pinkos who think gun control is a good idea.

But it won't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 09:17:36 AM »
It does not happen in Texas (maybe Austin). 

Only illegals there commit random acts of violence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
This sick fudge also booby trapped his apartment.

The news stations are covering it live.  Police are trying to set off trip wires so they can enter his apartment. 

I also saw on CNN that he had died his hair red and was referring to himself as the Joker. 

Cue Moms Against Fun.

Wait a second! Bombs are illegal to have!!! How dare he!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
Wait a second! Bombs are illegal to have!!! How dare he!!

The hustle was strong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
If a guy can score a shot between the eyes of a Somali pirate in a dinghy at 150 yards from a ship that is bobbing up and down on the high seas, a little smoke in a theater isn't going to be much of a challenge to him.

This^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
I just watched the feed from the court room.  The guy looked heavily sedated or completely out of his mind. 

This is such a strange story.  Two days before the shooting, he's having beers with a friend shooting the shit about the Denver Broncos.  Then he shoots 70 people and a few days later looks like he's been stuffed in a Jack in the Box for the majority of his life. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
I just watched the feed from the court room.  The guy looked heavily sedated or completely out of his mind. 

This is such a strange story.  Two days before the shooting, he's having beers with a friend shooting the shit about the Denver Broncos.  Then he shoots 70 people and a few days later looks like he's been stuffed in a Jack in the Box for the majority of his life.
Sometimes, people just fucking snap.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

GH2001

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
Sometimes, people just fucking snap.

High him high. I bet the next fuckstick may think twice before pulling a stunt like that with innocent people. Maybe not, but it's a deterrent more times than not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE