Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Monster Cable

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Monster Cable
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
This is an older article but still a goodie just in case you've ever hopped on the Monster Cable hype train or been curious about the gold plated wonder..

We've always believed that the perceived quality boost that comes from using high-end cables is really just a trick of the mind (read: justifying the ridiculous cost of premium cables to yourself) -- if you've dropped enough cash, you can probably hear anything you want. Still, our belief is one thing -- cold hard proof is another, and it looks like a group of 12 self-professed "audiophiles" recently couldn't tell the difference between Monster 1000 speaker cables and plain old coat hangers. Yeah, coat hangers. The group was A-Bing different cables, and unbeknownst to them, the engineer running the test swapped out a set of cables for coat hangers with soldered-on speaker connections. Not a single one was then able to tell the difference between the Monster Cable and the hangers, and all agreed that the hangers sounded excellent. No wonder Monster has to rig HD displays. Still, we bet people still fall for the hype -- oh hey, if you're looking for the ultimate in sound, we've got half a meter of oxygen-free, triple-wrapped double-insulated Sonically Shielded AmpliSized Egyptian Llama cable here that we'll part ways with for just a couple grand.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Monster Cable
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Monoprice (Everyone who doesn't know about it...you are very welcome)

http://www.monoprice.com

Monstercable is only better if you are doing over a 25' run with HDMI, and then still not worth the price.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
Monoprice (Everyone who doesn't know about it...you are very welcome)

http://www.monoprice.com

Monstercable is only better if you are doing over a 25' run with HDMI, and then still not worth the price.

I'm not really sure why that would even matter. The HDMI signal is digital not analog.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
I'm not really sure why that would even matter. The HDMI signal is digital not analog.
I tried to find the link but it is pretty old, I think it was Gizmodo or someone did a test of the cables between monoprice and monster, and the only signal degradation was above 25'.  I really don't remember what they were using to test though and frankly like I said i doesn't matter when you consider price.   

Monoprice is awesome for everything.  I have bought several things outside of cables (aluminum laptop stand, phone chargers) and have been buying from them for at least 7-8 years.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:55:56 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
I gotchya monster cable right here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
I gotchya monster cable right here.

Lay off the fiber.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
Lay off the fiber.

It aint shit if you don't flush twice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
I tried to find the link but it is pretty old, I think it was Gizmodo or someone did a test of the cables between monoprice and monster, and the only signal degradation was above 25'.  I really don't remember what they were using to test though and frankly like I said i doesn't matter when you consider price.   

Monoprice is awesome for everything.  I have bought several things outside of cables (aluminum laptop stand, phone chargers) and have been buying from them for at least 7-8 years.

I purchased a 20' HDMI cable, 4 flush mount surround speakers, a TV wall mount, and a spool of speaker wire from Monoprice for about the same price of a 20' monster cable when I was finishing out my man room.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.