Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Liked this pic

Liked this pic
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:40:59 PM »
I watched the "Tear Down This Wall" speech the other day.  He had his problems (like being senile) but he was really good.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Liked this pic
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
too bad all the youth have been brainwashed into thinking Reagan was a war mongering, super duper spending, scandal ridden, senile, commie hating (which used to be a good thing), old crusty white man that hated poor people and blacks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »
One can only hope our current President will take a cue from Reagan and forget "to duck."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
One can only hope our current President will take a cue from Reagan and forget "to duck."

is it wrong that I snickered?

It's like right when I think I've lost you - you remind me of why I heart you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »
Reagan probably didn't blame Carter as much as Obama has blamed Bush, but there was blame given to Carter for current events as late as 1984.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
Reagan probably didn't blame Carter as much as Obama has blamed Bush, but there was blame given to Carter for current events as late as 1984.

Difference was Reagan improved conditions for the most part while blaming Carter (rightfully so with 20% interest rates on Homes). Obama has blamed it all on Bush (some of it warranted) and made things worse for the most part.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »

Good lord do you know the problems that would cause. It would make the LA riots looks small time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Vandy Vol

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Difference was Reagan improved conditions for the most part while blaming Carter (rightfully so with 20% interest rates on Homes). Obama has blamed it all on Bush (some of it warranted) and made things worse for the most part.

Economically, Reagan could blame the previous administration and get away with it, because Carter did fuck a lot of things up.  And yes, the general state of the economy improved under Reagan's watch...but the poverty rate increased, his federal tax receipts as a percentage of GDP were almost identical to Carter's, etc.

And for all of those who are self-employed and love complaining about the amount in taxes they pay?  Reagan was the one who, in 1983, signed the law which required self-employed individuals to pay both the employee and employer's share of withholding.

With all of that being said, I don't dislike Reagan, nor do I think that he blamed Carter as much as Obama blames Bush.  But when 243 marines died in Beirut due to an intelligence snafu three years into his first term?  He blamed it on Carter's administration.

The man was not as holy and blameless as he is often held out to be, and that's all I was pointing out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
But when 243 marines died in Beirut due to an intelligence snafu three years into his first term?  He blamed it on Carter's administration.

I have really felt like this had a lot more to do with the United States and the Corps not realizing that was a part of the world where shit worked very differently and thus were lax in the implementation of security.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
I have really felt like this had a lot more to do with the United States and the Corps not realizing that was a part of the world where shit worked very differently and thus were lax in the implementation of security.

Sure, and I think that would have been an appropriate response.  However, there were a lot of other justifications thrown out by Reagan's administration, including blame being directed at the "previous administration" for weakening our nation's intelligence.  It was clear that they didn't want the egg on their faces, so they passed the blame along to a previous administration that hadn't been in charge for three years.

Not cool, even if you are the almighty Reagan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
Economically, Reagan could blame the previous administration and get away with it, because Carter did fuck a lot of things up.  And yes, the general state of the economy improved under Reagan's watch...but the poverty rate increased, his federal tax receipts as a percentage of GDP were almost identical to Carter's, etc.

And for all of those who are self-employed and love complaining about the amount in taxes they pay?  Reagan was the one who, in 1983, signed the law which required self-employed individuals to pay both the employee and employer's share of withholding.

With all of that being said, I don't dislike Reagan, nor do I think that he blamed Carter as much as Obama blames Bush.  But when 243 marines died in Beirut due to an intelligence snafu three years into his first term?  He blamed it on Carter's administration.

The man was not as holy and blameless as he is often held out to be, and that's all I was pointing out.

Keep in mind that Congress was on avg 61% democrat during his 8 years. Filibuster and veto proof for the most part some years. There wasn't much he could as far as signing legislation he opposed. He also conceded some liberal legislation to get other things done. I always like to use the phrase "he did what he could with what he had to work with".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
Keep in mind that Congress was on avg 61% democrat during his 8 years. Filibuster and veto proof for the most part some years. There wasn't much he could as far as signing legislation he opposed. He also conceded some liberal legislation to get other things done. I always like to use the phrase "he did what he could with what he had to work with".

He could veto it and require Congress to override his veto.  If he wasn't in support of the legislation, then you've got to at least try it, right?  Especially considering that it takes 2/3 of Congress to override a presidential veto.

But, in reality, his tax cuts (which at least partially resulted in federal tax receipts being as low as Carter's), budgets (which arguably did more harm than good by increasing the debt), and many other decisions were championed by him; they weren't forced on him by a majority Congress.  In fact, Reagan basically got the budgets he requested without much, if any, Congressional alteration.

Again, Reagan did a lot of good, including closing tax loopholes.  I'm not saying he didn't.  But in regard to my original point regarding blaming Carter, the makeup of Congress doesn't have any bearing on that, and even regard to political decisions that were made during his presidency, most of them were agreed to (if not championed by) Reagan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
He could veto it and require Congress to override his veto.  If he wasn't in support of the legislation, then you've got to at least try it, right?  Especially considering that it takes 2/3 of Congress to override a presidential veto.

But, in reality, his tax cuts (which at least partially resulted in federal tax receipts being as low as Carter's), budgets (which arguably did more harm than good by increasing the debt), and many other decisions were championed by him; they weren't forced on him by a majority Congress.  In fact, Reagan basically got the budgets he requested without much, if any, Congressional alteration.

Again, Reagan did a lot of good, including closing tax loopholes.  I'm not saying he didn't.  But in regard to my original point regarding blaming Carter, the makeup of Congress doesn't have any bearing on that, and even regard to political decisions that were made during his presidency, most of them were agreed to (if not championed by) Reagan.

Fair enough. And with Reagan a lot of things were tit for tat. He gave the libs some of the spending they wanted on social things in return for things he wanted in regards to DoD and bankrupting the Soviet Union because he knew he was outnumbered in the legislative branch. Just saying....he had to work with a majority opposition. He did pretty well considering. So did Clinton. What the hell has Obama done?

81-83 57% Democrat
83-85 63% Democrat
85-87 59% Democrat
87-89 59% Democrat
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
too bad all the youth have been brainwashed into thinking Reagan was a war mongering, super duper spending, scandal ridden, senile, commie hating (which used to be a good thing), old crusty white man that hated poor people and blacks.

My lack of facebook desire led me to miss this. Funny how people that leave the South for Oregon have issue with the "War on Drugs".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
My lack of facebook desire led me to miss this. Funny how people that leave the South for Oregon have issue with the "War on Drugs".

Yeah I saw that. Dude is an idiot.

"That dayum Reagun done put people in jail for life for smoking the pot!"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
What the hell has Obama done?

He paid my mortg-...wait...nevermind...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
He is about to double our student loan rates...or maybe that's Congress.  Fuck both of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
He is about to double our student loan rates...or maybe that's Congress.  Fuck both of them.

THIS!! ^^^^

I think we need a cleaning on both levels. Yes, even Boehner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE