Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Big Green Egg

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Big Green Egg
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
The hubby hits a milestone birthday this year, and I am trying to find him a suitable birthday present.

The corndog is an excellent cook, and he is a master with the BBQ.  He loves to use our smoker, but we have a big one, and that's too much work for that random night when he and I are wanting something for just us.  You have to have pounds and pounds of meat to cook to justify the effort.   He was talking about the Big Green Egg this weekend and I thought I remembered that one or more of you on here have one.

Thoughts?  Worth the dough?  Suggestions?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: Big Green Egg
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
The hubby hits a milestone birthday this year, and I am trying to find him a suitable birthday present.

The corndog is an excellent cook, and he is a master with the BBQ.  He loves to use our smoker, but we have a big one, and that's too much work for that random night when he and I are wanting something for just us.  You have to have pounds and pounds of meat to cook to justify the effort.   He was talking about the Big Green Egg this weekend and I thought I remembered that one or more of you on here have one.

Thoughts?  Worth the dough?  Suggestions?

Their owners rave about them.  If y'all have a smoker it may be somewhat redundant, but they say they grill well too.  If you're only getting for the grilling, I wouldn't spend that kind of money, but then I'm not rich like you.  The ex's hubby bought one of those Komodo Joe things which is similar I hear, and he loves it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
Their owners rave about them.  If y'all have a smoker it may be somewhat redundant, but they say they grill well too.  If you're only getting for the grilling, I wouldn't spend that kind of money, but then I'm not rich like you.  The ex's hubby bought one of those Komodo Joe things which is similar I hear, and he loves it.

No, not just for grilling - he wants to be able to smoke some too, but just enough for us, not enough for the whole neighborhood and then some, which is what the other smoker is for.  His smoked ribs and pork loin are to die for, and I hate not being able to have them more often.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:50:24 PM »
I don't have one, but everyone that owns one swears they're manna from heaven. 

It's almost cultish. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
I've got a friend who grills like a madman and loves his Green Egg.  He says it burns less charcoal than a grill of similar size.  Also, you can leave usable/unburned charcoal in there after using it; you just close up the vents to prevent it from continuing to burn and then it's in there and ready for the next use.  It's more efficient and less of a hassle to fire up than a traditional charcoal grill.

There are a ton of other positives, such as being able to keep it at a certain temperature consistently while cooking or the fact that the ceramic never heats up on the outside of the egg, but long story short, I haven't heard any negatives about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Yoda

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »
I have one and I love it. You can grill and smoke on it. I also have a gas grill for convenience, but the egg can be ready in 20-30 minutes.  There are like 4 sizes, I have the large.  Would suggest either the large or medium since you are only wanting it for smaller meals.  One of the best things about it is that you can kill the fire when done cooking and reuse the charcoal that dies out.  The disadvantages are that it is expensive.  Not only is the egg expensive but you also have to get the "eggcesseries".  Will need a stand, rib rack, and indirect heating plate.

Definitely worth it to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:24:36 PM »
No, not just for grilling - he wants to be able to smoke some too, but just enough for us, not enough for the whole neighborhood and then some, which is what the other smoker is for.  His smoked ribs and pork loin are to die for, and I hate not being able to have them more often.

Then go for it.  Might want to check the Kamodo Joes things too.  The Green Egg is the original.  I don't know what differences there if any in the 2.  As I said, and THS said, the following is almost cult like.   Must be something to them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »
I didn't realize it was based out of/created in Tucker, GA.

I also heard it is based off of the Space Shuttle technology letting it hit high temps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »
Put one in man-pit back in January.   :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
I have seen the egg in action and actually think it's a good grill/smoker.  A Primo wouldn't be a bad one to look at either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

chinook

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
another option to consider are the pellet feed bbq/grills made by traeger and green mountain. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
another option to consider are the pellet feed bbq/grills made by traeger and green mountain.

Actually saw a traeger a couple of weeks ago. Nice grill, looked well built - but as the guys were showing me how it worked, it seemed gimmicky and a lot of trouble.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
Werd to the wise.  See if whoever you get it from will put it together for you.  Frick puttin' a grill together and the Egg is one heavy sumbitch. 

With regard to the Egg, I really do love that thing.  I've cooked on a Weber Bowl almost exclusively the last 5-6 years and that's one solid grill.  But the Egg takes it to that next level.  Temp control is the key.  I find it takes longer to cook on the Egg but I always use a grilling session as me time.  Me and the dog hit the back patio, turn on the tube or some music...he likes Pit Bull's lyrics...and grab a glass of my favorite adult beverage.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »
and grab a glass of my favorite adult beverage.

Who are you kidding Snag? We all know this is code for delicious coke product and the bourbon of the day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
Who are you kidding Snag? We all know this is code for delicious coke product and the bourbon of the day.

And your point is?  I did check out a new one last week called Blanton's.  Have no idea how you straight up guys would like it but it socializes well with delicious coke products.  Coolest bottle evah!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »
And your point is?  I did check out a new one last week called Blanton's.  Have no idea how you straight up guys would like it but it socializes well with delicious coke products.  Coolest bottle evah!!!

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
Werd to the wise.  See if whoever you get it from will put it together for you.  Frick puttin' a grill together and the Egg is one heavy sumbitch. 

With regard to the Egg, I really do love that thing.  I've cooked on a Weber Bowl almost exclusively the last 5-6 years and that's one solid grill.  But the Egg takes it to that next level.  Temp control is the key.  I find it takes longer to cook on the Egg but I always use a grilling session as me time.  Me and the dog hit the back patio, turn on the tube or some music...he likes Pit Bull's lyrics...and grab a glass of my favorite adult beverage.

For straight up grilling some dead cow, how hot will it get?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 10:43:31 PM »
For straight up grilling some dead cow, how hot will it get?

600-800 degrees
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
600-800 degrees

That's good enough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
:facepalm:

I'm not a big bourbon guy, but Blanton's is one of the better ones IMHO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE