Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Live and Let Diet

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #1060 on: February 12, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »
So it sounds like you're already working out at beast mode level.  Why do you feel the need to "trick" your muscles?

I'm really looking to lean up I suppose, more than bulk up more...should have been more specific in my question.  I want to see the hammer brothers, instead of a lump in the middle of a fat pocket.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #1061 on: February 12, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
You need to swim more. Bulk is almost useless. Endurance and cardio is what you need more than anything else. I have rotator cuff issues and a sternoclavicular dislocation, so weights are out for me.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:11:04 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #1062 on: February 12, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
I'm really looking to lean up I suppose, more than bulk up more...should have been more specific in my question.  I want to see the hammer brothers, instead of a lump in the middle of a fat pocket.

So you need to do a cut. 

I'd go on the Keto diet myself if I were you.  At least cut out all alcohol, sugar, and most processed carbohydrates like pasta, bread, and crackers. 

You can use something like MyFitnessPal.com to track calories and nutrients.  For me, I lose weight when I dip down to 1800 calories/day. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #1063 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »
You need to swim more. Bulk is almost useless. Endurance and cardio is what you need more than anything else. I have rotator cuff issues and a sternoclavicular dislocation, so weights are out for me.

I guess you do make sense sometimes.

I made the transition from weight room to strictly cardio 3 years ago. I'm in much better shape and have a Ton of fun with road racing and triathlon. My annual checkup numbers are always perfect as well. They weren't always when I was in the gym and sitting around 205-218. I stay around 165 now and never want to go back to what I was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #1064 on: February 12, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #1065 on: February 12, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »
So you need to do a cut. 

I'd go on the Keto diet myself if I were you.  At least cut out all alcohol, sugar, and most processed carbohydrates like pasta, bread, and crackers. 

You can use something like MyFitnessPal.com to track calories and nutrients.  For me, I lose weight when I dip down to 1800 calories/day.

I am using MyFitnessPal and it has me down to 1600 calories a day.  Last year, when I did lose a good bit, I was trying to stick with the Atkins plan as much as possible.  This year, it's not working so well.  I just need something to shock my system and get me kickstarted again...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1066 on: February 12, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
Buzz, I don't have any tricks to kick your progress up an Emeril notch or two....other than HGH.  A few bits of advice from an old dude who's been there, done that.

First, forget worrying about bench and squat max.  Straight bench press is not a good, pure muscle building movement and squats are hell on your knees and spine in the long run.  And when's the last time you were walking down the beach and anyone asked you about your max bench press? 

Second, if you read Muscle & Fitness or anything similar, enjoy the ads and  :haha: at the "Want to blast those biceps into oblivion" articles.  Hey, this may be what I'm looking for to get those guns I've been trying for.  Let's see:

3 sets of 10 reps/seated dumbell curls
3 sets of 10 reps/preacher curls
3 sets of 10 reps/standing barbell curls

WTF?  I've been doing that for years.  Wait, what's this fine print here? Hmmm.."3 cycles of Dianobol per month and 3 cycles of oil based Testosterone per month".  Oooohhhh....now I see.

Bottom line.  Without the assistance of PED's, the real keys to muscle growth or definition are diet and consistent change.  You're right about "tricking" or shocking the muscles.  But in order to do that, you need drastic, consistent changes.  Adding a little something here or there will make very little noticeable difference.  If you can get out of the mindset of worrying about how much...as opposed to how you look, change will come much easier.  If you never have, go look at the "300" workout.  (Just as one of many examples)  It's an overall body workout using 25-50 reps on each exercise. You do far less sets but it's total exhaustion on each one and can be done in 30 minutes or less. 

Virtually the entire cast was doing it in preparation for the movie.  Go look at the promo pics and ask yourself if you want to look like that or if you want to increase your squat max by 20 pounds?  Not saying you have to go to the 300 workout from here on. But for 4-6 weeks?  Oh yeah.  Then move on to something else to "shock" the muscles again.  You were/are doing Insanity?  Fantastic change of pace.  Keep looking for overall routines to take it in another direction, but just as importantly, regardless of what you do, the results will be half of what they should be if you don't adjust the diet accordingly.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #1067 on: February 12, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
Teh Insanity was just too insane...
My Achilles would not let me go through the full 60 days.  I made a week and a couple of days before I decided it hurt too damn much to finish.  I seriously considered trying the 300 workout, but I don't have any tractor trailer tires in the basement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #1068 on: February 12, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
Out of basic training I was 5'9" at 175lbs of pure fucking muscle. They said I had like 4% body fat. That was 1982 and is no longer the case.

I was the small skinny little fuck (also no longer the case) in basic that they alway pushed to the front of the mess hall line so I could gain some weight. I gained 25 lbs in basic and had to go to CIF halfway through to get a re-issue of clothes that fit.

I came out of basic a mean,nasty motherfucker.  Now I am just the mf.   :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #1069 on: February 12, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »
I was the small skinny little fuck (also no longer the case) in basic that they alway pushed to the front of the mess hall line so I could gain some weight. I gained 25 lbs in basic and had to go to CIF halfway through to get a re-issue of clothes that fit.

I came out of basic a mean,nasty motherfucker.  Now I am just the mf.   :haha:

I remember poking fun at my old man when he started getting some age on him b/c he was the poster boy for being fit.  He was a DS in the Army and took pride in being able to run and exercise until he hit about 40 then he started letting himself go a little bit.  Some of that was natural, the hair loss, eyesight and hearing. Of course being at the ball fields or gym every night and watching your kids play ball and eating junk food can do that to you.  Funny, I regret ever saying anything to him about that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1070 on: February 12, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »
Teh Insanity was just too insane...
My Achilles would not let me go through the full 60 days.  I made a week and a couple of days before I decided it hurt too damn much to finish.  I seriously considered trying the 300 workout, but I don't have any tractor trailer tires in the basement.

I understand that.  I got the Tapout XT about 2 months ago and after a few times, realized I'd better drop about 20 before I tackle that. A mild shoulder "twinge" quickly turned into a "Damn, that hurts my shoulder". On the 300 workout, I had never looked at it when someone told me about it a while back.  I took the basic principals and worked up my own routine.  The results were immediate.  And 25+ reps with even super light weight made me beg for mercy the first few times I did it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #1071 on: February 12, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
A slug.  That's what I've been.  So far my best weight was a touch under 200, but I am now between 203 and 206 and holding.  I haven't ran.  I haven't been eating good.  I haven't been working out (unless you consider a complete remodel of my home working out) and I honestly am starting to feel like shit. 

Disgustville.  That's where I am.  Of course, on the bright side, I great with drinking only water and can barely stand the taste of a coke zero at this point.  So, no sugar drinks is probably the only reason I'm not gaining. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #1072 on: February 12, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
A slug.  That's what I've been.  So far my best weight was a touch under 200, but I am now between 203 and 206 and holding.  I haven't ran.  I haven't been eating good.  I haven't been working out (unless you consider a complete remodel of my home working out) and I honestly am starting to feel like shit. 

Disgustville.  That's where I am.  Of course, on the bright side, I great with drinking only water and can barely stand the taste of a coke zero at this point.  So, no sugar drinks is probably the only reason I'm not gaining.

Military definition of slug:

Slow leaner under guidance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #1073 on: February 25, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
Sauteed grouper with Crawfish Oscar at Felix's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #1074 on: February 25, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #1075 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »
Monthly Progress:

Weight: 168

Longest run in February: 45 minutes on a Saturday
Averaging 30 minutes per run during the week after my weight lifting

Bench press: 185 3 rep max
Overhead press: 95 5x6
Leg press: Two 45s and a 25 on each side, 4x8
Deadlifts: 185, 5x5
Pull ups: 4x6

I've incorporated an ab routine.  Leg raises, planks, and side planks each side.  This week, I also started a more intense three day split that looks like this:

Monday:
Bench Press 1x8, 1x6, 1x5
Incline Press 3x6
Dips 3x10
Curls 25 pound DB curls
Ab routine
30 minute run

Wednesday:
Leg press 4x6
Deadlift 4x6
Shoulder press 4x6
Lat raises 4x8
Ab routine
30 minute run

Friday:
Pull ups 4x7
Lat pull downs 4x8
Rows 4x8
Abs
HIIT runs (5 60 second sprints with 5 60 second jogs)

Saturday:
Long run

I'm still eating pretty much whatever I want.  Trying to gain strength.  I think April 1st, I'll start cutting depending on how much weight I've gained. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #1076 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »
That sounds like a very good routine.  If I could incorporate the running in with my workouts, I'd probably be shedding the extra baby fat like crazy...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #1077 on: March 01, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »
I remember when I weighed 168 lbs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #1078 on: March 01, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
I remember when I weighed 168 lbs.

Same here...the 5th grade was so much fun.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #1079 on: March 01, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
Same here...the 5th grade was so much fun.

Yeah, back when I was practicing wrasslin moves in the elementary gym.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions