Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Live and Let Diet

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #960 on: January 14, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
Just got back from the Cardiologist for a follow up.  About 2 months ago, I was in a doc's office for some therapy on my back.  They took my BP and it was through the roof.  Seriously through the roof.  Like 179/109.  About a year prior, I had a complete physical and the only issue was that my BP was a little elevated.  Not bad but they suggested I get on some medication just to be safe.  I didn't.  Stupid.  Anyway, glad it was discovered at my doc appointment.  Wound up at the Cardilogist and went through all the tests, including blood work.  Started on BP meds and today was my follow up.

BP was 136/84 when I got there and 122/82 when I left.  Cool.  The meds are working. But, in going over my blood work, he said if I was drinking every night and/or taking Tylenol PM's, I need to back off.  I was doing both up until a few weeks ago.  The blood work was taken in early December.  Whatever the measurement was that says you're trying to kill your liver was elevated.  As I've said several times in this thread, my diet and training are spot on.  Always has been.  But, my one weakness has been too much alcohol.  I had been a nightly drinker for some time. Recently, I made the commitment to change that and have been doing some better, but not near what I should be doing.  My goal is nothing on Sunday through Thursday and reserve the drinkie for Friday and Saturday.  I haven't been reaching my goals but suddenly, I have a good bit more motivation. 

When a doctor shows you your bloodwork results and says if you're doing "A"...you need to start doing "B"...you tend to listen.  It wasn't at alarming or even bad levels, but for the first time in my life, there it was in front of me.  Time to take that change seriously.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #961 on: January 14, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
Grilled Vegetable Tostadas

3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates

3 medium zucchini (1 1/2 pounds total), cut into 1/2-inch-wide slices on the diagonal

4 portobello mushrooms (1 pound total), stemmed

1 1/2 bunches scallions, root ends trimmed

Coarse salt and ground pepper

4 flour tortillas, (10-inch or burrito-size)

3 cups store-bought fresh salsa

4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup)

1 lime, cut lengthwise into 4 wedges (optional), for serving

Directions

Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. In separate piles, arrange zucchini, mushrooms, and scallions on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, remove each pile of vegetables from baking sheet. Grill, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 2 minutes for scallions, 6 minutes for mushrooms, and 8 minutes for zucchini. Return all vegetables to baking sheet. Slice mushrooms into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Set aside.
    Brush tortillas with remaining tablespoon oil; grill, turning frequently, until browned and very crispy, about 2 minutes. Place 1 tortilla on each serving plate; cover evenly with mushrooms and zucchini. Using kitchen shears, snip scallions over vegetables. Top with salsa, and sprinkle with feta; serve with lime wedges, if desired.

http://blog.e-signaturehomes.com/summer-signature-grilling-recipes/

That looks excellent. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #962 on: January 14, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
That looks excellent.

It is, you should try it sometime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #963 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
Grilled Vegetable Tostadas

3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates

3 medium zucchini (1 1/2 pounds total), cut into 1/2-inch-wide slices on the diagonal

4 portobello mushrooms (1 pound total), stemmed

1 1/2 bunches scallions, root ends trimmed

Coarse salt and ground pepper

4 flour tortillas, (10-inch or burrito-size)

3 cups store-bought fresh salsa

4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup)

1 lime, cut lengthwise into 4 wedges (optional), for serving

Directions

Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. In separate piles, arrange zucchini, mushrooms, and scallions on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, remove each pile of vegetables from baking sheet. Grill, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 2 minutes for scallions, 6 minutes for mushrooms, and 8 minutes for zucchini. Return all vegetables to baking sheet. Slice mushrooms into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Set aside.
    Brush tortillas with remaining tablespoon oil; grill, turning frequently, until browned and very crispy, about 2 minutes. Place 1 tortilla on each serving plate; cover evenly with mushrooms and zucchini. Using kitchen shears, snip scallions over vegetables. Top with salsa, and sprinkle with feta; serve with lime wedges, if desired.

http://blog.e-signaturehomes.com/summer-signature-grilling-recipes/
Damn that makes me hungry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Jumbo

« Reply #964 on: January 14, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
Just got back from the Cardiologist for a follow up.  About 2 months ago, I was in a doc's office for some therapy on my back.  They took my BP and it was through the roof.  Seriously through the roof.  Like 179/109.  About a year prior, I had a complete physical and the only issue was that my BP was a little elevated.  Not bad but they suggested I get on some medication just to be safe.  I didn't.  Stupid.  Anyway, glad it was discovered at my doc appointment.  Wound up at the Cardilogist and went through all the tests, including blood work.  Started on BP meds and today was my follow up.

BP was 136/84 when I got there and 122/82 when I left.  Cool.  The meds are working. But, in going over my blood work, he said if I was drinking every night and/or taking Tylenol PM's, I need to back off.  I was doing both up until a few weeks ago.  The blood work was taken in early December.  Whatever the measurement was that says you're trying to kill your liver was elevated.  As I've said several times in this thread, my diet and training are spot on.  Always has been.  But, my one weakness has been too much alcohol.  I had been a nightly drinker for some time. Recently, I made the commitment to change that and have been doing some better, but not near what I should be doing.  My goal is nothing on Sunday through Thursday and reserve the drinkie for Friday and Saturday.  I haven't been reaching my goals but suddenly, I have a good bit more motivation. 

When a doctor shows you your bloodwork results and says if you're doing "A"...you need to start doing "B"...you tend to listen.  It wasn't at alarming or even bad levels, but for the first time in my life, there it was in front of me.  Time to take that change seriously.
I went from drinking 7 nights a week to 2 times a week last year and I've felt much better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #965 on: January 14, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »

Alcohol is the main reason I got in the shape I was/am in.  It's a lot more fun to come home, have dinner and then start in on a bottle of bourbon and catch a buzz than going to the gym.  After, and while you are catching a buzz it's a lot of fun to munch on chips and such.  It will catch up to you quickly.

I used to be a gym rat and did my fair share of jogging in the evenings on days I wasn't at the gym.  Had a little set back when I was 26 with a back and elbow injury and was out of commission for about 6 weeks and started the habit of a couple of tumblers every night and here in the past year or two it has been a tumbler or four or a six pack.  I also don't like waking up in a fog.  Last year I quit for almost 3 months while I started a diet and exercise routine.  I lost 30lbs and felt great.  BP and blood sugar levels were normal, it was awesome.  Hoping that cutting out almost all of it now and doing the same thing will get me to where I need to be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #966 on: January 14, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »
Alcohol is the main reason I got in the shape I was/am in.  It's a lot more fun to come home, have dinner and then start in on a bottle of bourbon and catch a buzz than going to the gym.  After, and while you are catching a buzz it's a lot of fun to munch on chips and such.  It will catch up to you quickly.

I used to be a gym rat and did my fair share of jogging in the evenings on days I wasn't at the gym.  Had a little set back when I was 26 with a back and elbow injury and was out of commission for about 6 weeks and started the habit of a couple of tumblers every night and here in the past year or two it has been a tumbler or four or a six pack.  I also don't like waking up in a fog.  Last year I quit for almost 3 months while I started a diet and exercise routine.  I lost 30lbs and felt great.  BP and blood sugar levels were normal, it was awesome.  Hoping that cutting out almost all of it now and doing the same thing will get me to where I need to be.

Fo realz.  I feel lucky in one sense that the BP issue was discovered when it was.  I hadn't had the first sign or symptom and bang, your BP is at critical levels.  As a result, they were also able to slap me in the face with the liver/drinking thing before I went too far.  And trust me, I more than likely would have gone too far. Instead of handling things in my own mind and in my own way (Not handling things) I now have doctor's orders to put it in check and keep it all in moderation.  220 here I come. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #967 on: January 14, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
I went from drinking 7 nights a week to 2 times a week last year and I've felt much better.

I tend to drink more in the winter than during umpin season. (Which league starts in about a month) I too try and cut out during the week and save my up my credits for the weekends.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #968 on: January 14, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
You guys should take up swimming. It's much better than any other exercise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #969 on: January 14, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »

True, and its not as hard on the body. Problem is finding a place that convenient. Don't want to pay gym or aquatic centers  membership for only 3 months, and most places that have a lap pools are crowded with non-swimmers in the lanes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #970 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
True, and its not as hard on the body. Problem is finding a place that convenient. Don't want to pay gym or aquatic centers  membership for only 3 months, and most places that have a lap pools are crowded with non-swimmers in the lanes.

Back when I started to train for a triathlon, I went to one of our rec centers here that has an Olympic size indoor pool and there are two times a day it's reserved for lap swimming.  I had swam all my life and considered myself a decent swimmer.  Had never trained for anything.  Came out of the locker room the first day and told myself, "I'll swim 4-5 laps and see how I feel from there."  Jumped in and took off.  By the time I reached the other end....I thought I was going to die.  My lungs were about to explode and every muscle in my body was burning.  I grabbed the wall and literally looked around to see if anyone happened to see me flailing away the last 10 yards. 

It took several training sessions before I could actually do 4-5 laps without stopping.  Michael Phelps...I ain't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #971 on: January 14, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
Back when I started to train for a triathlon, I went to one of our rec centers here that has an Olympic size indoor pool and there are two times a day it's reserved for lap swimming.  I had swam all my life and considered myself a decent swimmer.  Had never trained for anything.  Came out of the locker room the first day and told myself, "I'll swim 4-5 laps and see how I feel from there."  Jumped in and took off.  By the time I reached the other end....I thought I was going to die.  My lungs were about to explode and every muscle in my body was burning.  I grabbed the wall and literally looked around to see if anyone happened to see me flailing away the last 10 yards. 

It took several training sessions before I could actually do 4-5 laps without stopping. Michael Phelps...I ain't.

Don't sell yourself short:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #972 on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »

Any advice on breathing?  Because I can't fucking breathe in the water. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #973 on: January 14, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
How can I breathe with no air?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #974 on: January 14, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »
How can I breathe with no air?

You put me out here in the water so deep
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #975 on: January 14, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »

It took several training sessions before I could actually do 4-5 laps without stopping.  Michael Phelps...I ain't.

:rofl: You can't do it all at once you know. Now, sex that's different story all together.

I'm having chuck eye steaks tonight.

http://www.figurethingsout.com/blog/2011/07/07/poor-mans-rib-eye-the-chuck-eye-steak/

Here's a marinade that works.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=36233
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:42:00 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #976 on: January 15, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »
Cardio, oh cardio.....I actually look forward to cardio and kenpo more than the others.  I don't mind shoulder and arms either.  Core and legs/back are the two I dread the most.  Core is hard as hell and legs/back hurt me.  I am glad it is my next to last workout of the week.  It gives me kenpo to loosen my legs and back out and then it's rest day so it can get better before Core day.

Last night's dinner was a bust.  Baked spaghetti.  At least it was made with ground sirloin.....dammit.  Last night's workout was intense, felt good about it, but my knees are a little pissed at me right now. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #977 on: January 15, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »

Good for you yes. Less taxing on joints yes. But if weight loss and burning fat is the goal and I think it is for a lot of these guys, running and cycling burn more cals per hour all things equal. Especially cycling. I do all 3 most of the time. With tri season ramping up I've been back in the pool and on the bike more the last couple of weeks. I was able to do ironman distance (2.4 miles or 84 laps) last week one day and it felt great. Swimming up to long distances does take mucho time. I remember like snags said, when a lap was a pain in the ass. What helped me was getting some coaching and getting the breathing cadence down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #978 on: January 15, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »
Either get a coach or watch some videos on how to get your breathing down on freestyle. It's very rhythmic and takes a ton of practice. It flows with the stroke of the arms in a particular cadence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #979 on: January 15, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
Either get a coach or watch some videos on how to get your breathing down on freestyle. It's very rhythmic and takes a ton of practice. It flows with the stroke of the arms in a particular cadence.

I think my biggest issues are 1. getting enough practice and 2. breathing out of my nose completely before taking a breath.  I keep compacting air in my lungs until I choke. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions