Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Live and Let Diet

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #920 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »
For you BHM people:  My friend that is a cop in Hoover swears by this place called Combat Fitness. It's CrossFit on steroids. Run by former Special Forces guy.  My friend is nearly 50 and is in better shape than he was at Auburn, and back then I was very aware of the shape he was in.  The folks at this gym also typically shred the CrossFit folks at CrossFit competitions.

I could not get on their website but they are on Facebook.

There's no doubt that CrossFit in general is one hell of a workout and you can get in incredible overall shape doing it.  Went to a regional competition here in Dothan this past summer to watch a few friends compete.  My problem with CrossFit, and I had this discussion with GH a while back, is that the entire premise of the workout just begs for major, needless injuries. A friend of mine opened the first Crossfit gym here and early last year, he fractured his skull in a competition.  Made a miraculous full recovery but for a while, they thought he either might not make it or could possibly have brain damage. 

When you immediately go from one all-out movement to another without rest or preparation, you're opening yourself up to bad injury.  You'll see them running the perimeter of a football field, then immediately picking up a 135 pound barbell and doing 15 presses then jumping down and pushing a heavy sled 25 yards, then doing 10 hand-stand push ups.  In my buddy's case, one of the exercises was on the rings (Like gymnastics rings).  His hands were sweaty and he slipped off and landed on his dome, cracking his skull open. 

Don't get me wrong, I envy those folks and love watching the competitions.  Some incredibly in shape people.  I just don't think it's a very smart way to train or compete.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #921 on: January 04, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
For you BHM people:  My friend that is a cop in Hoover swears by this place called Combat Fitness. It's CrossFit on steroids. Run by former Special Forces guy.  My friend is nearly 50 and is in better shape than he was at Auburn, and back then I was very aware of the shape he was in.  The folks at this gym also typically shred the CrossFit folks at CrossFit competitions.

I could not get on their website but they are on Facebook.

Crossfit and all of their offshoots are "invented" workouts, meaning the activity people are competing in is a serious of random shit ONLY they do.

Snags described it pretty accurate in the previous post above yours. Lets jump rope for 45 seconds while yelling out "WHOOHOO" every other jump skip, then pick up a rubber hammer and bang a steel beam til it moves 12 feet, then climb a rope and grab a flag then kick your legs together 5 times, come back down the rope and use the flag to pick up a spoon with an egg on it and run 100 yards up a hill while hopping on a one leg winking your left eye. After that you go right into headbutting a medicine ball against a brick wall soccer style 20 times....As soon as thats over, you run over to the water sport finale - you have to get all of the water out of a kiddie pool with just a drinking straw while bindfolded. Who or where in the fuck would anyone ever do this shit? Most of the CF people around here couldnt hack it in the other endurance sports. They give it a shot but they just cant.

Its ridiculous and frankly, most of them are just fancy MLM's like Primerica. Look it up.

And then there is the injury factor. Thats a whole other post in itself which Snags also elaborated on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:59:52 PM by ND2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #922 on: January 04, 2013, 03:02:01 PM »
And it's a cult.

Ever talk to someone really into Crossfit? 

You probably won't talk to them, actually.  They'll talk to you until you drink the purple drink that makes you love Crossfit.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

« Reply #923 on: January 04, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
And it's a cult.

Ever talk to someone really into Crossfit? 

You probably won't talk to them, actually.  They'll talk to you until you drink the purple drink that makes you love Crossfit.

Poor saps, pissing away a cheap car payment every month to an MLM to do ridiculous workouts in the middle of the street at 5 am.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #924 on: January 10, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
How're you doing so far this year?

I'm doing great.

Eating about 1800 calories a day.  Mostly protein with healthy fats and fruits and veggies to supplement. 

Here's what I've settled on for the next few weeks:

Sunday - Bench press, back hypers, dips, deadlifts 20 minute swim or run (the swimming sucks now as I'm trying to learn to breathe and swim at the same time)

Monday - 1.5 mile run (moving up to 30 minute runs and hopefully longer)

Tuesday - Off

Wednesday - Leg press, pull downs, rows, leg curls

Thursday - Off

Friday - Shoulders, pull ups, abs, 1.5 mile run

Saturday - 1.5 mile run or off day depending on how I feel

EDIT - AFter typing it out, I decided to switch my leg days to Wednesday since I'll have the off day on Thursday and no running on Wednesday.  Gives my legs time to regroup. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:51:49 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #925 on: January 10, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »
I have lost 8lbs in three weeks which is amazing since I have skipped a couple of days and have ate like shit.  This week has been spot on since I went back to work.  Cheerios for breakfast or Shakeology, turkey breast, ham, chicken breast or roast beef on whole wheat with no cheese or mayo.  My morning snack is a granola and yogurt.  My afternoon snack is usually almonds and fruit.  Dinner has been 500 ways to grill a chicken breast, small sirloins or lean ground turkey with good complex carbs (new potatoes, long grain wild rice, sweet potatoes), green beans and salads.  Somehow a small miracle has occurred and I have had only had two glasses of wine, one shot of whiskey and two beers since mid Dec.  No six pack or tall glass of bourbon every night has helped tremendously. 

The holidays killed the first two weeks and I missed a couple of nights each week.  After this week I get to let Tony surprise me and BRING IT with all new workouts and shit my body isn't used to so I can bitch and moan about being content with being fat.  Seriously, even the back and knees aren't hurting as much and my BP was down at the doctor this morning.  Sugar is still running high but as more weight comes off the more in check it is getting as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Token

« Reply #926 on: January 10, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Not eating great, not exercising a lot, but still managing to maintain between 202 and 205.  I would really like to drop 15 more and get to 190, but damn I can't get motivated.  Of course, I have the task of hanging about 100 pieces of sheetrock over the next month, so I'm hoping that will burn a few extra calories. 

And I'm still playing basketball for 2 hours once a week, so I am getting some exercise.  That's probably the only reason I'm able to maintain. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #927 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
Not eating great, not exercising a lot, but still managing to maintain between 202 and 205.  I would really like to drop 15 more and get to 190, but damn I can't get motivated.  Of course, I have the task of hanging about 100 pieces of sheetrock over the next month, so I'm hoping that will burn a few extra calories. 

And I'm still playing basketball for 2 hours once a week, so I am getting some exercise.  That's probably the only reason I'm able to maintain.

I would love to see 205 again.  190 is the ultimate goal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #928 on: January 11, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
Kicking into high gear.  Going good.  Won't weigh until Saturday as I stopped doing the daily weighing thing a long time ago.  Last night was a prime example of how sometimes, people just won't let you do right.  Coming home from work, I call Mrs. Snags to see what she wants to do for dinner.  Mini Snags has a basketball game at 6:00 so cooking is out. I'm informed that we're going to her parents for a fish fry.  Oh goody.  Just what I need for my diet.  Fried fish, fries, hushpuppies. cole slaw....

No bigee.  Not going to kill me to eat a small plate of it.  I get a little fish, a few fries and a spoon of cole slaw.  The 7 other people around the table start in...

What's wrong?  You're not eating much.
Well, I'm trying to...

You don't like the fish?

No, the fish are great, I just...

Oh, he's dieting again.  Can't even enjoy a good fish fry like everyone else

Well, I'm eating some, I'm just trying to eat smaller po...

Everytime he starts dieting, we have to eat this bland food nobody likes.

Hey, I've never said you have to eat the same things I...

It's chicken, chicken and more chicken.  Blech..

I felt like I was suddenly cast in the middle of a Klump's family dinner.

And that's another thing.  Why Oprah went and lose all that weight?  Lookin' all ashey and shit.  Oprah was a fox.

I saw her on Hard Copy with a tall, young strong gentleman named Steadman.

Why you wanna go and eat all healthy and shit?  I know what healthy is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #929 on: January 11, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
Kicking into high gear.  Going good.  Won't weigh until Saturday as I stopped doing the daily weighing thing a long time ago.  Last night was a prime example of how sometimes, people just won't let you do right.  Coming home from work, I call Mrs. Snags to see what she wants to do for dinner.  Mini Snags has a basketball game at 6:00 so cooking is out. I'm informed that we're going to her parents for a fish fry.  Oh goody.  Just what I need for my diet.  Fried fish, fries, hushpuppies. cole slaw....

No bigee.  Not going to kill me to eat a small plate of it.  I get a little fish, a few fries and a spoon of cole slaw.  The 7 other people around the table start in...

What's wrong?  You're not eating much.
Well, I'm trying to...

You don't like the fish?

No, the fish are great, I just...

Oh, he's dieting again.  Can't even enjoy a good fish fry like everyone else

Well, I'm eating some, I'm just trying to eat smaller po...

Everytime he starts dieting, we have to eat this bland food nobody likes.

Hey, I've never said you have to eat the same things I...

It's chicken, chicken and more chicken.  Blech..

I felt like I was suddenly cast in the middle of a Klump's family dinner.

And that's another thing.  Why Oprah went and lose all that weight?  Lookin' all ashey and shit.  Oprah was a fox.

I saw her on Hard Copy with a tall, young strong gentleman named Steadman.

Why you wanna go and eat all healthy and shit?  I know what healthy is.

That is when you should have stood up and told every one to have a glass of "shut the fuck up" and then told the all to suck as you got up to leave to get something healthy to eat. 

Kenpo kicked some major ass last night.  I was soaked and tired.  Problem was that the ground turkey patty with grilled onions, mashed new potatoes and green beans I had for dinner wore off and I was hungry as hell.  Had to kill a glass of milk and a cup of decaf coffee to help keep me from eating.  Got up and drank a couple of tall glasses of water at one point.   I didn't realize that I was going to burn that much up.  I love that workout!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #930 on: January 11, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
That is when you should have stood up and told every one to have a glass of "shut the fuck up" and then told the all to suck as you got up to leave to get something healthy to eat. 

Kenpo kicked some major ass last night.  I was soaked and tired.  Problem was that the ground turkey patty with grilled onions, mashed new potatoes and green beans I had for dinner wore off and I was hungry as hell.  Had to kill a glass of milk and a cup of decaf coffee to help keep me from eating.  Got up and drank a couple of tall glasses of water at one point.   I didn't realize that I was going to burn that much up.  I love that workout!

Isn't Kenpo the one where you end up by throwing about 100 speed punches?  Whichever workout it was, I love that one.  I'd come out of the room like Apollo Creed.  That's right.  You don't want none of this. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #931 on: January 11, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
Isn't Kenpo the one where you end up by throwing about 100 speed punches?  Whichever workout it was, I love that one.  I'd come out of the room like Apollo Creed.  That's right.  You don't want none of this.

I get teh same workout after about 10 beers.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #932 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
Yeah, it's the boxing/kickboxing thing.  My favorite by far.  Today is legs and back.  Yippee!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #933 on: January 11, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
Yeah, it's the boxing/kickboxing thing.  My favorite by far.  Today is legs and back.  Yippee!

The first chest and back, with 3 straight hours of alternating push ups and pull ups isn't enough?  Holy shiflit, I now remember another reason I hate that sadistic bastard so much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #934 on: January 11, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

I....(I).....live in A-merr-rrica.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #935 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
I....(I).....live in A-merr-rrica.

You might not be looking for the promise land, but you might find it anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #936 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
You might not be looking for the promise land, but you might find it anyway.

I must break you
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #937 on: January 11, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
I must break you

If he dies....he dies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #938 on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:23 PM »
If he dies....he dies.

Get up Rocky ( From I II III IV or V)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #939 on: January 11, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »
The first chest and back, with 3 straight hours of alternating push ups and pull ups isn't enough?  Holy shiflit, I now remember another reason I hate that sadistic bastard so much.

Yeah, that one sucks and that will be in the next phase coming up.  This first phase you do Core, Cardio, Yoga (I do something else), Shoulders and Arms, Legs and Back and then Kenpo.  The next phase is two weeks and you do, Yoga, Core, Cardio, Chest and Back, Kenpo, Yoga.  Last time I substituted Plyo and Cardio for the Yoga.  I understand the importance of Yoga for balance, flexibility and a strong core, but dammit man!  Apparently Tony has never seen me try yoga or he would immediately say..."yeah, you may want to do Plyo today".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions