Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Live and Let Diet

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #500 on: July 17, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »
I'm going to start something tonight, dammit.  It's either going to be Insanity or more ice cream. 
Still not sure which.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #501 on: July 17, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »
I'm going to start something tonight, dammit.  It's either going to be Insanity or more ice cream. 
Still not sure which.

Jump on the elliptical for a while!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #502 on: July 17, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
Jump on the elliptical for a while!

That is a definite either way.  I think I still have a shirt or two hanging there that I may need next week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #503 on: July 17, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
That is a definite either way.  I think I still have a shirt or two hanging there that I may need next week.

I have decided that I hate that machine, but then again I love it.  Honestly it's the only machine in the gym that doesn't punish my ankles and knees.  I have grown used to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #504 on: July 17, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
Yeah, but the thing about a lot of these are that they are more fun for a lot of people than just going out and running.  I like the idea of CrossFit in that you are doing it with a group and have a coach.  Maybe can even turn it into a competition.  I know that dragging my ass out to run or bike sucks, but a buddy of mine calls me to go play some pickup ball and I'll be there in a sec, it's not as good of a workout but I'll be a lot more interested.

I guess it all depends on perspective and objective. I've always looked at those kinds of sports as an opportunity to push yourself to the brink and test the limits of the human heart. Too bad they aren't competitive like CrossFit. Maybe one day the Olympics will add running, swimming and biking.

And on the group things, biking and running both have group training runs/rides for beginners and advanced. In fact, a bike store and running store here in town both do them everyday - for free, morning and evening. And it gets pretty damn competitive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #505 on: July 17, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
I have decided that I hate that machine, but then again I love it.  Honestly it's the only machine in the gym that doesn't punish my ankles and knees.  I have grown used to it.

^^^This^^^  After a complete Achilles tear and repair, I have a really hard time running on concrete.  Even the treadmill hurts after a while, but the elliptical just punishes my ass in general...it doesn't discriminate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #506 on: July 17, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
^^^This^^^  After a complete Achilles tear and repair, I have a really hard time running on concrete.  Even the treadmill hurts after a while, but the elliptical just punishes my ass in general...it doesn't discriminate.

Concrete teh suxxors - for any level of runner. Hard as shit with no give.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #507 on: July 17, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
I just ate a protein bar.  Mmmm.... protein bar

That’s what I tell my wife to eat on occasion too with a creamy surprize at teh end.

But you call it what you want. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Token

« Reply #508 on: July 17, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »
Honestly? Crossfit is another in a long line of fads. Crossfit, Insanity, p90X, Jane Fonda's Dance Workout complete with Leg Warmers, Soloflex, Vibrating Belt Treadmill thingee, Buns of Steel, Thingmaster, Ab Master 9000 XL, Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies , etc etc fucking etc. Seriously, when all these were "sold", they all have one thing in common: its the BEST thing yet and you can't live without it. They'll proceed to tell you how it's so different and so much better than conventional methods right? The main objective from the inventors of these "systems" is to sell it. And I admit they do market them well, including the token (no pun intended) before and after pics of "REAL PEOPLE!!" If they truly only cared about your health and well being, it would be free or at least cost a lot less. And if they just wanted to cover the cost to get it out to market, it wouldn't be 100's of dollars a pop.

They prey on people who need or are really looking for a change or who exercise very little currently. People do the "system" and they do feel better, but in reality anything you subject your body to that is "different" is gonna make you sore and eventually feel better physically. Going all out in swimming or running is still going to burn more calories and keep you at anaerobic level better than anything, and they stand the test of time. CrossFit is just the World's Strongest Man with cardio mixed in and the people are leaner.

I've never been to the point of blowing chunks with the vibrator belt, but to each his own.  I got more out of one hour with those guys than I have since I've been going to the gym.  Maybe that's my fault for not pushing myself hard enough.  But either way.  I couldn't hardly move after an hour. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #509 on: July 18, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
I've never been to the point of blowing chunks with the vibrator belt, but to each his own.  I got more out of one hour with those guys than I have since I've been going to the gym.  Maybe that's my fault for not pushing myself hard enough.  But either way.  I couldn't hardly move after an hour.

It shocked your body. Plus CF has a shit ton more cardio than anything you are going to do in the gym not called Spinning. Sadly, gyms are only as good as you make them. Something like a group exercise (CF, Insanity, Spinning, Couch to 5K) makes you do certain things whether you like them or not. If it works for you, that's good.

I just hate to see people blow tons of money on these things. Mark my word though, in 4, 6 or 8 years, there will be a newer thing out. It will tell you that it is better than that old way (CrossFit and P90X). This cycle has been going on since the 70's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #510 on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
Couch to 5K?  Which one of you fat fuckers have done this?  I haven't ran a 5K since my HS cross country days (18 years ago) and I really want to run one in 2013.  Is it worth looking into and does it follow some kind of routine to ease myself back into it?

My problem with anything I do is that I go at it full blast and either burn out to quick or wind up injuring myself and quit and get teh fats again.

EDIT:  I also have bad knees and ankles, which is why I do the elliptical.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:35:07 AM by AUTiger1 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #511 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
I'm in.  Refresh my memory; a K is like 100 feet, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #512 on: July 18, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
I've never been to the point of blowing chunks with the vibrator belt, but to each his own.

Who's Chunks and how would you blow him with a strap-on vibrator?  I'm intrigued...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #513 on: July 18, 2012, 01:39:22 PM »
Couch to 5K?  Which one of you fat fuckers have done this?  I haven't ran a 5K since my HS cross country days (18 years ago) and I really want to run one in 2013.  Is it worth looking into and does it follow some kind of routine to ease myself back into it?

My problem with anything I do is that I go at it full blast and either burn out to quick or wind up injuring myself and quit and get teh fats again.

I did it last summer. 

It's a great program.  I'm someone who hates running long distance.  Always have.  Always will.  But within 10 weeks, I was running 30 minutes and over 3 miles just fine. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

« Reply #514 on: July 18, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »

First of all, the knees and ankles (and other joints) will get alleviated a lot by losing weight. I dunno what you weigh now but if you get down to an ideal weight for doing lots of cardio, a lot of that inflammation will go away. A lot of issue is heavier people try to do too much cardio too quick and the impact of that weight just kills the joints. Also pick softer surfaces if possible. Concrete and Asphalt will eat you alive.

Ok, so I would say go for the couch to 5K. I see the groups out doing where I normally run. They look like they have a good time. And there is also a program the leader of the group usually follows and they direct the others to do things - run for certain distance, stop, etc..  I'd say go for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #515 on: July 18, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »
First of all, the knees and ankles (and other joints) will get alleviated a lot by losing weight. I dunno what you weigh now but if you get down to an ideal weight for doing lots of cardio, a lot of that inflammation will go away. A lot of issue is heavier people try to do too much cardio too quick and the impact of that weight just kills the joints. Also pick softer surfaces if possible. Concrete and Asphalt will eat you alive.

Ok, so I would say go for the couch to 5K. I see the groups out doing where I normally run. They look like they have a good time. And there is also a program the leader of the group usually follows and they direct the others to do things - run for certain distance, stop, etc..  I'd say go for it.

I have bad knees and ankles from years of abuse on the body.  I weigh 210-213 range and I should be weighing in at 185 to 190.  I figure the weight loss will help but the knees and ankles are always going to be a problem.  Always have and always will.  I have seen the program and what you are supposed to do every week, but I am a loner so I doubt I would be doing that with anyone else around.  I am thinking this might be the ticket to getting back in shape and being able to keep up with the little ones and not be so out of breath.

THS:   You were asking about P90X the other day.  Do it!  I was on week #9 and had lost 30lbs.  Hurt my shoulder and stopped then got fat again.  Point is, I was droping weight, had plenty of energy and I was also able to run a mile without stopping and that was the first time I have done that in 15+ years.  It will get you in shape if you eat right and keep with it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #516 on: July 18, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »
I did a 5k last weekend and realized that I needed to keep working on my long distance runs.  I had fun doing it, but didn't like the time I ended up with.  GH, how did yours go?

AUT1, fleet feet in Huntsville does the couch to 5k program, and they provide you with a running coach like GH was talking about.  Fleet feet also has insoles that can help with your knee and ankle pain.  You are welcome to come run the snake infested cross country trail with me anytime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #517 on: July 19, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »
I did a 5k last weekend and realized that I needed to keep working on my long distance runs.  I had fun doing it, but didn't like the time I ended up with.  GH, how did yours go?

AUT1, fleet feet in Huntsville does the couch to 5k program, and they provide you with a running coach like GH was talking about.  Fleet feet also has insoles that can help with your knee and ankle pain.  You are welcome to come run the snake infested cross country trail with me anytime.

I usually go in the 18:30-19:15 range during Spring/Summer races. Just depends on the course and if its hot/humid. I ran 18:51 Saturday and got first in my age group. I am really aiming to trim about 10 more lbs and shoot for 17:59 by end of August in a big night race in Columbus (3,000 runners).

Fleet Feet is a good store. They are a chain so they are also in most major cities as well. Ive been to 3 of them now: San Antonio, Birmingham (on 280 near Summit) and Savannah. Excellent stores and they offer great support.

AUT1, try the insoles that ssg speaks of. Also try taking some Condritin + Glucosamine + MSM/Osteo Bi Flex. Combine that with some weight loss and some insoles, that will at least make exercise manageable for you. The supplement I mentioned above will actually help rebuild and repair your joints. I take it religiously. When you get your base back, it's also worth it to get a gait analysis at somewhere like Fleet Feet. They can hook you up with some shoes that will help your mechanics and get you in a more natural running form (zero drop shoe, mid foot strike).

Here is what I run in and I stay pretty injury free in them. They are designed to get you more in a natural running form without injury. Fleet Feet should have them:

http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoes
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #518 on: July 19, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »

Uh.....no.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #519 on: July 19, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions