She left us though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
She's gonna be devastated.

She shouldn't have been so fickle.   :p
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
I keep an Auburn insulated cup on my desk at work, and my secretary brings lemons.  She cuts them up, and periodically brings me a wedge to remind me to refill my water and drink it. 

Bottom line is: A. Make it a lifestyle, B. Be honest with yourself C. Establish better habits.  D. When you have a bad day, don't say "fuck it I blew my diet" simply continue on with your newly established good habits.   

I will lie to myself if I don't hold myself accountable with the app and keeping up.

You forgot E. Have a secretary that brings you things. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
If one of those is causing weight gain I don't think you're eating it right.

It's the one you drink and not eat that is causing the weight gain.    :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »
As gay as it sounds to most men, counting calories appears to work, at least for me.  And I'd daresay that it should work for everyone, so long as you do it right.  Afterall, it is the calories contained within an item that, if not burned off, will result in fat cells being deposited into your body...not sodium, carbohydrates, etc.  Obviously a truly healthy diet will include limitations on those other ingredients, but when talking strictly about weight loss, it appears to be calories with which you should be most concerned.

It's a pain in the ass at first, but eventually you've got an idea of the calorie count on most food items that you eat without having to look at labels or search on the internet.  This is especially the case if you keep track of it with Excel, as you'll have documented the total calories in food items and/or meals that you've previously eaten.

As with any diet that restricts the amount and/or types of foods that you eat, you do have to worry about the plateau.  Your body will adjust its metabolism accordingly as you begin to consistently take in less calories per day, and thus will attempt to slow your metabolism in order to burn fewer calories if you are consistently taking in fewer calories.

What I've found helpful in avoiding that plateau while calorie counting is not to shoot for the exact same calorie count each day.  What I've found works best is setting up an Excel spreadsheet that takes into account your overall average of calories consumed since beginning your diet, as well as an average for the past five days.  This insures that you are, on average, ingesting fewer calories than you burn.  This allows you to fluctuate from day to day in regard to how many calories you eat, thereby preventing your body from adjusting to a consistent caloric intake of X, yet at the same time maintain an overall average caloric intake which will result in a calorie deficit.

I've been doing this for three months so far and have lost 17 pounds.  As JR has also experienced, I've done this with no exercise thus far.  I hit a plateau about halfway through, which probably slowed down my loss until I figured out how to overcome the plateau via the daily fluctuations in caloric intake.  I've dropped about three pounds in the last week since recently figuring out how to get out of that plateau that lasted for a month.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »
You forgot E. Have a secretary that brings you things.

Don't some of those little fuckers you teach need a task?  Wait, you're married aren't you?  You have a live in secretary. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
Funny, mine too.  I call it bourbon and pussy.

:jaw: I don't blush very often but that one caught me off guard from you. I got the giggles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »
Speaking of counting calories -

My breakfast had 500 calories, and my lunch had about 500 as well.

1000 ain't too bad for almost being done with eating for the day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »
For those who ARE going to work out, let me hear your exercise routine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »
As gay as it sounds to most men, counting calories appears to work, at least for me.  And I'd daresay that it should work for everyone, so long as you do it right.  Afterall, it is the calories contained within an item that, if not burned off, will result in fat cells being deposited into your body...not sodium, carbohydrates, etc.  Obviously a truly healthy diet will include limitations on those other ingredients, but when talking strictly about weight loss, it appears to be calories with which you should be most concerned.

It's a pain in the ass at first, but eventually you've got an idea of the calorie count on most food items that you eat without having to look at labels or search on the internet.  This is especially the case if you keep track of it with Excel, as you'll have documented the total calories in food items and/or meals that you've previously eaten.

As with any diet that restricts the amount and/or types of foods that you eat, you do have to worry about the plateau.  Your body will adjust its metabolism accordingly as you begin to consistently take in less calories per day, and thus will attempt to slow your metabolism in order to burn fewer calories if you are consistently taking in fewer calories.

What I've found helpful in avoiding that plateau while calorie counting is not to shoot for the exact same calorie count each day.  What I've found works best is setting up an Excel spreadsheet that takes into account your overall average of calories consumed since beginning your diet, as well as an average for the past five days.  This insures that you are, on average, ingesting fewer calories than you burn.  This allows you to fluctuate from day to day in regard to how many calories you eat, thereby preventing your body from adjusting to a consistent caloric intake of X, yet at the same time maintain an overall average caloric intake which will result in a calorie deficit.

I've been doing this for three months so far and have lost 17 pounds.  As JR has also experienced, I've done this with no exercise thus far.  I hit a plateau about halfway through, which probably slowed down my loss until I figured out how to overcome the plateau via the daily fluctuations in caloric intake.  I've dropped about three pounds in the last week since recently figuring out how to get out of that plateau that lasted for a month.

The way I've discovered to break the plateau, is to eat a little more for a day.  Use that plateau to give in to a craving or 2, and jumpstart your metabolism. 

Here is the site I use, that has a compatable smart phone app: http://fatsecret.com/

This one is probably a little better, but I'd already gotten used to the one above when I found this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Both are free, there's no trying to sell you anything either by a barrage of emails.  Both have compatible synced phone apps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
:jaw: I don't blush very often but that one caught me off guard from you. I got the giggles.

I'm not what I appear to be, new kid.  Sometimes I will surprise you.   ;)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 02:55:09 PM »
This is true.  I've been on the diet rollercoaster all my life.  Diet, lose, gain it back.  I was in decent shape in HS playing sports.  In college, I gained, but wasn't just horridly overweight.  In my 30s I got that way, and went on a diet and workout binge.  Got in great shape...lasted a few years, then stopped for whatever reason, gained it back, plus some, then lost, then gained.  I know this.  All the diets, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, whatever...it's as simple as this.  Calories in vs Calories out.  Now, I do believe it's harder for some than others, and some people gain weight easier than others.  My dad ate whatever the fuck he wanted to, and at 6-2 never got over 195 at his highest.  Where some folks will gain 5-10 pounds in 6 months to a year of "letting themselves go" I will gain 35-50. 

I have an app on my phone.  It's a calorie counter, and journal.  It's synced with the website.  The rule is I can eat any damn thing I please, but I have to count it.  The app and website have thousands of foods already cataloged, and I can also bar code scan in things I buy at the grocery store.  If I got to McDonalds, the calories and fat, etc, are all in the app, I just put it in the meal where I ate it, and it keeps up.  I stop at 2250 calories per day. The trick is, in order to be able to eat three decent meals, I have to make wiser choices.  I don't do McDonald's, I bring a Lean Cuisine for lunch.  It requires 2 things, diligence and honesty with yourself.  I always have my phone with me, so the only excuse I have for not keeping up is a refusal to be honest with myself.

I started April 1.  I'm down 26 pounds.  And that is with ZERO exercise.  I'm starting that next. 

When I have a legit crave, I eat.  When I go to a function, I eat.  What I don't do is go crazy, and I keep up with what I ate.  If I don't have the exact thing in the app, I make a good faith estimate.  The other day I was craving a BLT sammich.  I asked them to bring the mayo on the side.  I deconstructed the sammich to see how much bacon was on there, then applied a measured amount of mayo, and then put the whole thing in for my lunch.  I got crinkle cut fries too.  The app didn't have that specifically.   It lets you add items to the database yourself.  So, I looked up Milo's nutrition for small fries, and added that.  I saved the meal to "my saved meals" because I crave that sometimes.  670 calorie lunch.  I just have to adjust the rest of the day around it.   Most days are like today.  Light wheat bread and 2% Kraft single for a 85 calorie breakfast, and a 280 calorie Lean Cuisine for lunch.  I find that when I get a craving, if I really think about it, I'll decide that I don't really want something that fattening and that calorie expensive right now.  But, if I do, I get it, and I count it. 

My weakness is at night.  I eat a decent sized dinner, and it's snacking at night that is my big deal.  I just have better choices.  Sliced apple, Pringles Light Chips, low fat Kraft Singles, Light Wheat Bread, a home made veggie soup that is about 30 calories per cup sized serving. 

I keep an Auburn insulated cup on my desk at work, and my secretary brings lemons.  She cuts them up, and periodically brings me a wedge to remind me to refill my water and drink it. 

Bottom line is: A. Make it a lifestyle, B. Be honest with yourself C. Establish better habits.  D. When you have a bad day, don't say "fuck it I blew my diet" simply continue on with your newly established good habits.   

I will lie to myself if I don't hold myself accountable with the app and keeping up.
Good points.

To what THS was saying earlier, any condensed soup will be loaded with sodium. Sodium is the silent killer that leads to high blood pressure. Its hidden in most foods.

Also, another thing to watch is High Fructose Corn Syrup. Since it isn't a natural sugar our bodies were built to process, the pancreas doesn't recognize it and adjust our insulin levels appropriately which gives us that "weve had enough" feeling. Another is hydrogenated oil. Besides Red meat, this is probably the biggest cause of heart disease. Its a processed fat. And is the worst kind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
Also, another thing to watch is High Fructose Corn Syrup.

^^^This^^^

That is the single worst thing you can put in your body, food wise.  And yet, we all willingly gobble it up all the time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »

P90X.  Shit is for real and it works.  235 down to 205 60 days into it.  Do the lean program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
To what THS was saying earlier, any condensed soup will be loaded with sodium. Sodium is the silent killer that leads to high blood pressure. Its hidden in most foods.

I was seriously eating three or so cans of Progresso a week and my blood pressure went from the 145/90, 155/100'ish range to a normal 120-125/80-85 range.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »

I run 40-50 miles a week. That's my workout. I haven't touched a weight in over a year. I also run anywhere from 10-15 5k/10k races per year which keeps me going during the week knowing I have to stay in good shape. I'll do the occasional half marathon or triathlon maybe once or twice a year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »

Not at all.  There are a lot of factors which affect the number of calories that your body will burn throughout a normal work day without any significant physical activity, but for adult males it's usually between 2,100 - 2,500 calories.

There are 3,500 calories in each pound of fat, so if you end each day with a calorie deficit of 700, you should be losing a pound every five days.

Although the amount of calories that any person's body will burn is dependent upon a variety of factors, you can calculate your average number of calories burned in a day by keeping up with your daily caloric intake and daily weight.

If, for instance, you have lost a total of 10 pounds for the past month (or an average of 0.3 pounds a day), then you know that you have had an average daily calorie deficit of approximately 1,100.  If your average daily caloric intake that you've kept up with is 1,400, then you know that your body tends to burn 2,500 calories each day.

This will not only help you in figuring out how much you need to eat in order to lose weight, but will help you keep it off by knowing how much you need to eat in order to not have a calorie surplus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »

A lot depends on your activity level, age, current wt. etc.  Most men can lose wt at between 1750-2250 per day.  You're probably on the lower end.  You can eat more if you exercise of course.  If you want to lose faster, take in 1500 a day net.  Those numbers are for sedentary or lightly active (desk job with no other exercise) people.  It takes a net deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound.  And no matter how you do it, it's calories in vs calories out.  My loss is slowing, so I either need to add the exercise or gear down to 2000 calories a day.  I like to eat, so I'm going to hit the treadmill.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
I run 40-50 miles a week. That's my workout. I haven't touched a weight in over a year. I also run anywhere from 10-15 5k/10k races per year which keeps me going during the week knowing I have to stay in good shape. I'll do the occasional half marathon or triathlon maybe once or twice a year.

Fucking show off! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
I was seriously eating three or so cans of Progresso a week and my blood pressure went from the 145/90, 155/100'ish range to a normal 120-125/80-85 range.

My guess is the high sodium in the soup was probably offset by the weight youve lost and the soup, although high in salt, was probably still better for you than what it replaced in your diet (burgers, pizza, processed foods, etc).

^^^This^^^
That is the single worst thing you can put in your body, food wise.  And yet, we all willingly gobble it up all the time.

It used in almost every food that requires sugar. Soft drinks and BBQ sauces are the big 2 that almost use HFCS exclusively. You can find a soft drink with real sugar and no preservatives (Sierra Mist is one of them) as well as BBQ sauce, but you really have to label read and search hard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE