Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Live and Let Diet

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #1740 on: January 24, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
So is your definition of workout. Fast n loose.

More like. Sit n drink.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #1741 on: January 24, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »

More like. Sit n drink.

Which is fine also

Could be much worst to
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #1742 on: January 24, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
Halfs hurt. And never get easy.

Last two miles of one are always gut check time. Honestly you need to train up for a half for a minimum of 10-12 weeks with several 11+ mile runs to get your legs accustomed to going that far. Then add speed in another day with 800s and mile repeats.

And although a half never gets easy if you are actually racing it like you are, it can become more manageable the more miles you put in leading up to it. I have one in Albany in March. Just make you taper real good that last week and rest of up. Because within two weeks of the race the hay is already in the barn at that point and rest is your best option.

Advice on race day? Awaken early and Eat two hours ahead of time. Drink lots of fluid early (so that you aren't peeing like a mad man 10 Mins before the start) And salt. It will help. You're gonna have asshats in these halfs that are going to take off like its a 1 mile race. ESP in the one you are doing. That's a biggie. Let them. Some are just really good. And some just can't control themselves and you'll see them on the side of the road later walking and throwing up when they bonk. Stick to your plan and your pace. Never get froggy the first 7 miles. Just get into a nice comfortable pace. If you feel good after 8-9? That's when you start picking it up. Still feel good after 11? Drop the hammer. You won't bonk at that point. Have you checked out the elevation chart? Find where the hills are and plan your race out accordingly. Don't Burn all your matches going up one hill at mile 4.

Great advice, especially race day.  Appreciate it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #1743 on: January 25, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »
Which is fine also

Could be much worst to

Actually I should have said,  Rip it n sip it. There're I said it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

chinook

« Reply #1744 on: January 25, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Great advice, especially race day.  Appreciate it.

pre-race meal...

Buttered Bagel w/ fried egg, cheese and bacon. 

Thank me later. 

what's gross is when the 50k runners, who start 1 hour before, pass the half marathon runners.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #1745 on: January 25, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »
Just a good meal anytime....

Buttered Bagel biscuit w/ fried egg, cheese and bacon. 

Fixt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1746 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
My pre-race meal is always steak, scrambled eggs and hash browns from the Waffle House.  Oh, and two slices of buttered toast.  Mmmmmm...Mm.  That makes watching a race so much more enjoyable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #1747 on: February 12, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »
Mercedes half finished. 1:50:52. Better than my goal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1748 on: February 12, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »
Mercedes half finished. 1:50:52. Better than my goal.

I don't even want to be with Jennifer Aniston for almost two hours. 

Congrats, man.  Great accomplishment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #1749 on: February 12, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »
Now that I've evaded death (at least for now) a few thoughts about the marathon.  First, I already respected olympians but I have even more respect after today.  5 minute miles for 26 miles is unbelievable.  Second, I planned on an 8:45 minute pace for most of the race.  That's what I run.  So I graciously moved way back in the pack to designated place to be courteous to the faster runners at the start. I'm still pissed about how many fucks were in the way for the first mile.  I really wanted to punch a 250 pound lady wearing a tutu.  I'm glad that she was out there running but move to the back of the fucking line if you are going to be wide and in the way of a shit ton of people at the start. 

Because of that I HAD to get froggy for the first 5 miles to get away from all of those dumbasses so I could run comfortably without the fear of getting tripped.  I paid for that at mile 10 with calf cramps. 

I didn't drink nearly enough fluid.  I put down 20 ounces during the 13 mile run but I should have drank 40.  It's very hard to drink while holding a pace that is max what you can run.  8:28 pace is all I had for 13 miles.  Better than I had hoped for but again, at 70 degrees I should have doubled fluid intake. 

Because of the lack of fluids, I spent the better part of 3 hours with some pretty serious stomach cramps.  Legs felt fine, feet were great and overall physically I was good.  Stomach cramps sucked though. 

I'll do more but I'm going to take it a little more serious in the future.  Which is saying a lot because I thought I had already taken it seriously. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #1750 on: February 12, 2017, 08:30:17 PM »
Now that I've evaded death (at least for now) a few thoughts about the marathon.  First, I already respected olympians but I have even more respect after today.  5 minute miles for 26 miles is unbelievable.  Second, I planned on an 8:45 minute pace for most of the race.  That's what I run.  So I graciously moved way back in the pack to designated place to be courteous to the faster runners at the start. I'm still pissed about how many fucks were in the way for the first mile.  I really wanted to punch a 250 pound lady wearing a tutu.  I'm glad that she was out there running but move to the back of the fucking line if you are going to be wide and in the way of a shit ton of people at the start. 

Because of that I HAD to get froggy for the first 5 miles to get away from all of those dumbasses so I could run comfortably without the fear of getting tripped.  I paid for that at mile 10 with calf cramps. 

I didn't drink nearly enough fluid.  I put down 20 ounces during the 13 mile run but I should have drank 40.  It's very hard to drink while holding a pace that is max what you can run.  8:28 pace is all I had for 13 miles.  Better than I had hoped for but again, at 70 degrees I should have doubled fluid intake. 

Because of the lack of fluids, I spent the better part of 3 hours with some pretty serious stomach cramps.  Legs felt fine, feet were great and overall physically I was good.  Stomach cramps sucked though. 

I'll do more but I'm going to take it a little more serious in the future.  Which is saying a lot because I thought I had already taken it seriously.

Right on all counts

I always opt for the front group in big races whether I plan on running like a Kenyan or not. Just to get out of traffic.

Jeff Galloway always has a fluid rule when its above 55 degrees - basically a sliding scale on intake above that temp - esp over 13 miles. You lose more salt and fluid than you realize.

Your point on the eiltes and pros is a good one. It is hard to respect what top guys at any race do until you get out there and do it. Once you do, you gain that perspective.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1751 on: February 12, 2017, 08:33:13 PM »
Unfortunately, in most races, I'm the dumbass in the tutu that needs to get the hell out of the way. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #1752 on: February 12, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
Unfortunately, in most races, I'm the dumbass in the tutu that needs to get the hell out of the way.

awww, your arms aren't flabby - they're nice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1753 on: February 12, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »

awww, your arms aren't flabby - they're nice.

Come on, you're just saying that. 

Really?  They're not too jiggly?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #1754 on: February 12, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
Come on, you're just saying that. 

Really?  They're not too jiggly?

All I know is Flex wouldn't roll the Ross Clark Circle with a flabby armed soft gut mofo. Would he?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1755 on: February 12, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »

All I know is Flex wouldn't roll the Ross Clark Circle with a flabby armed soft gut mofo. Would he?

Not in his red 1978 T-top Firebird.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #1756 on: February 12, 2017, 10:51:05 PM »
Right on all counts

I always opt for the front group in big races whether I plan on running like a Kenyan or not. Just to get out of traffic.

Jeff Galloway always has a fluid rule when its above 55 degrees - basically a sliding scale on intake above that temp - esp over 13 miles. You lose more salt and fluid than you realize.

Your point on the eiltes and pros is a good one. It is hard to respect what top guys at any race do until you get out there and do it. Once you do, you gain that perspective.
In one of my few marathons that I ran, I trained super hard and decided I was up for a PR. Decided that it would do me good to at least stay within earshot of the Kenyans.

I actually stayed up with them, in the elevator at the hotel and all the way up to the start line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

« Reply #1757 on: February 13, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »

I always wanted to be in the very front group when the guns sounds, take off like a bat out of hell, get in the lead, have someone about 100 yards down from the start, get of picture of me in the lead, then quit.

Hanging on my wall is a picture of me leading the race.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1758 on: February 21, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »
Tips for sore knees.  Talked Snagette into doing her first 5K in about 3 weeks down at Seaside.  I have never, ever and never, ever will profess to being a "runner".  But I've done my share of 5K's over the years, pretty much all of them just to participate in fund raisers for a good cause. Rarely have I ever been in decent running shape when doing them and I'll only actually run about 3/4 or 73.6645% of it with several quick walk/rests thrown in.  I'm currently getting ready for a sprint triathlon in late April so I've picked up the running and had my first semi-serious road bike session Sunday.  I've been hitting the mountain bike trails with regularity the past couple of months. 

The Mrs. has never run a race and has never done any run training whatsoever other than some jogging on the treadmill.  We've been doing some road work the last few weeks and already her knees are giving her problems.  I've been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin the last 2-3 weeks as it seems to help me with keeping joint pain to a minimum.  I've been lucky in that respect but her knees started hurting from the start.  I can't get her to take the Glucosamine.  Any suggestions?  Would a sleeve knee brace help.  Anyone tried any of the Tommy Copper products?     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #1759 on: February 21, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
Tips for sore knees.  Talked Snagette into doing her first 5K in about 3 weeks down at Seaside.  I have never, ever and never, ever will profess to being a "runner".  But I've done my share of 5K's over the years, pretty much all of them just to participate in fund raisers for a good cause. Rarely have I ever been in decent running shape when doing them and I'll only actually run about 3/4 or 73.6645% of it with several quick walk/rests thrown in.  I'm currently getting ready for a sprint triathlon in late April so I've picked up the running and had my first semi-serious road bike session Sunday.  I've been hitting the mountain bike trails with regularity the past couple of months. 

The Mrs. has never run a race and has never done any run training whatsoever other than some jogging on the treadmill.  We've been doing some road work the last few weeks and already her knees are giving her problems.  I've been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin the last 2-3 weeks as it seems to help me with keeping joint pain to a minimum.  I've been lucky in that respect but her knees started hurting from the start.  I can't get her to take the Glucosamine.  Any suggestions?  Would a sleeve knee brace help.  Anyone tried any of the Tommy Copper products?   

Running is bad for the knees. Period. Mrs. Dallas was in to running, 1/2's, to full marathons. Knee surgery put and end to that. Ortho Doc told her to go to strictly bike riding and swimming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions