Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Live and Let Diet

Live and Let Diet
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
How many of us are fat? 

I'm not going on a diet.  Fuck that.  But I am going to try and lose some pounds, exercise, and eat healthier.

Anyone else up for it? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
I'm ready.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
That's one in. 

What other fat ass old men are hanging out around here? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
Seriously though THS, I try and do this every day. I look at it more as a lifestyle than a diet. I think the idea of a timelined diet is what traps a lot of folks. If people just made eating decent (bad things in moderation) and exercising regularly a common occurence, they wouldn't have to worry about a diet. I think your train of thought in on the right track.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:01:19 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
Did you say diet?  I thought you said die.  Nevermind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
I exercise and eat halfway healthy so I can partake in adult beverages, smoke cigars and not feel so bad about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
I'm going the Alton Brown route.

List 1: Foods to Eat Daily

Dark leafy greens
Nuts
Carrots
Green tea
Whole grains
Fruits

List 2: Foods to Eat Three Times a Week

Yogurt
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Sweet potato
Avocado
Oily fish

List 3: Foods to Eat Once a Week

Red meat
White starch
Desserts
Alcohol Unfortunately, this will be one day a week that I can't control my actions and send pipe bombs to nurseries across the country.

List 4: Foods to Never Eat / Foods to Avoid at All Times

Soda
Processed meals
Canned soups
“Diet” anything
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »
So far today I've had:

Breakfast:

Smoothie:

½ cup of fruit (strawberries and blueberries)
¾ cup of vanilla greek yogurt          
1 tbsp of almond butter            
½ cup of cranberry juice         
½ cup of oatmeal

Lunch:

Spinach (2 cups) with four chick fil a chicken strips and honey mustard (1 tablespoon) dressing. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
Honestly, I started working out hard again back in December.  Went the route of the low carb diet with little to no sugar, and nothing but a cup of coffee in the morning, and water the rest of the day.

Down 31 pounds so far, but I am stuck now.  I need a kick start again to get the last 10 or so pounds off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
I've heard that breakfast is essential to keeping your metabolism up.  Maybe that's what is causing you to plateau. 

My main issue is sugar.  I eat dessert two times a day.  I'll often grab a piece of candy - or two or three - from the office multiple times a day. 

I really don't have a lot of weight to lose.  I'm 5'7 170 pounds.  I'm much more interested in feeling better and being in shape. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
List 4: Foods to Never Eat / Foods to Avoid at All Times

Soda
Processed meals
Canned soups
“Diet” anything

Shame.  I was just thinking that a bowl of Progresso Chicken Noodle that I have in my office would have been a lot healthier than the "Spicy Thai Beef and Egg Fried Rice" that I am gobbling up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
Shame.  I was just thinking that a bowl of Progresso Chicken Noodle that I have in my office would have been a lot healthier than the "Spicy Thai Beef and Egg Fried Rice" that I am gobbling up.

High sodium.  A lot of processed ingredients.  Canned soup is pretty awful for you especially if you aren't watching what you eat the other parts of the day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
I eat a high protein breakfast of eggs, cheese and meat for breakfast most days.  My biggest problem is snacking at night, still. 

I have somewhat gotten over my desire for sweets...might have some ice cream once or twice a month.

Keep sugar-free gum in my desk to curb any afternoon cravings, and that has really helped.

My biggest problem is snacking at night.

At 170, you really shouldn't be losing any weight...just toning.  I am at 210 now, so I know I at least need to lose 10-15 more to be where the AMA says I should be.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »
High sodium.  A lot of processed ingredients.  Canned soup is pretty awful for you especially if you aren't watching what you eat the other parts of the day.

Hmm, helped me lose a lot of weight and my blood pressure came down when eating a lot of canned soups.   Pretty much anything out of a can is high in sodium and has a lot of preservatives in them.  Should only buy fresh veggies or grow your own. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
I eat a high protein breakfast of eggs, cheese and meat for breakfast most days.  My biggest problem is snacking at night, still. 

I have somewhat gotten over my desire for sweets...might have some ice cream once or twice a month.

Keep sugar-free gum in my desk to curb any afternoon cravings, and that has really helped.

My biggest problem is snacking at night.

At 170, you really shouldn't be losing any weight...just toning.  I am at 210 now, so I know I at least need to lose 10-15 more to be where the AMA says I should be.

Don't forget I'm vertically challenged.

I should probably be around 155.  That's my goal weight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
Don't forget I'm vertically challenged.

I should probably be around 155.  That's my goal weight.

I am 5'10, and they say I should be at 184.  I say 199.  Fuck them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 02:33:03 PM »

I have somewhat gotten over my desire for sweets...

She's gonna be devastated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
Seriously though THS, I try and do this every day. I look at it more as a lifestyle than a diet. I think the idea of a timelined diet is what traps a lot of folks. If people just made eating decent (bad things in moderation) and exercising regularly a common occurence, they wouldn't have to worry about a diet. I think your train of thought in on the right track.

This is true.  I've been on the diet rollercoaster all my life.  Diet, lose, gain it back.  I was in decent shape in HS playing sports.  In college, I gained, but wasn't just horridly overweight.  In my 30s I got that way, and went on a diet and workout binge.  Got in great shape...lasted a few years, then stopped for whatever reason, gained it back, plus some, then lost, then gained.  I know this.  All the diets, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, whatever...it's as simple as this.  Calories in vs Calories out.  Now, I do believe it's harder for some than others, and some people gain weight easier than others.  My dad ate whatever the fuck he wanted to, and at 6-2 never got over 195 at his highest.  Where some folks will gain 5-10 pounds in 6 months to a year of "letting themselves go" I will gain 35-50. 

I have an app on my phone.  It's a calorie counter, and journal.  It's synced with the website.  The rule is I can eat any damn thing I please, but I have to count it.  The app and website have thousands of foods already cataloged, and I can also bar code scan in things I buy at the grocery store.  If I got to McDonalds, the calories and fat, etc, are all in the app, I just put it in the meal where I ate it, and it keeps up.  I stop at 2250 calories per day. The trick is, in order to be able to eat three decent meals, I have to make wiser choices.  I don't do McDonald's, I bring a Lean Cuisine for lunch.  It requires 2 things, diligence and honesty with yourself.  I always have my phone with me, so the only excuse I have for not keeping up is a refusal to be honest with myself.

I started April 1.  I'm down 26 pounds.  And that is with ZERO exercise.  I'm starting that next. 

When I have a legit crave, I eat.  When I go to a function, I eat.  What I don't do is go crazy, and I keep up with what I ate.  If I don't have the exact thing in the app, I make a good faith estimate.  The other day I was craving a BLT sammich.  I asked them to bring the mayo on the side.  I deconstructed the sammich to see how much bacon was on there, then applied a measured amount of mayo, and then put the whole thing in for my lunch.  I got crinkle cut fries too.  The app didn't have that specifically.   It lets you add items to the database yourself.  So, I looked up Milo's nutrition for small fries, and added that.  I saved the meal to "my saved meals" because I crave that sometimes.  670 calorie lunch.  I just have to adjust the rest of the day around it.   Most days are like today.  Light wheat bread and 2% Kraft single for a 85 calorie breakfast, and a 280 calorie Lean Cuisine for lunch.  I find that when I get a craving, if I really think about it, I'll decide that I don't really want something that fattening and that calorie expensive right now.  But, if I do, I get it, and I count it. 

My weakness is at night.  I eat a decent sized dinner, and it's snacking at night that is my big deal.  I just have better choices.  Sliced apple, Pringles Light Chips, low fat Kraft Singles, Light Wheat Bread, a home made veggie soup that is about 30 calories per cup sized serving. 

I keep an Auburn insulated cup on my desk at work, and my secretary brings lemons.  She cuts them up, and periodically brings me a wedge to remind me to refill my water and drink it. 

Bottom line is: A. Make it a lifestyle, B. Be honest with yourself C. Establish better habits.  D. When you have a bad day, don't say "fuck it I blew my diet" simply continue on with your newly established good habits.   

I will lie to myself if I don't hold myself accountable with the app and keeping up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
My weakness is at night. 

Funny, mine too.  I call it bourbon and pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Funny, mine too.  I call it bourbon and pussy.

If one of those is causing weight gain I don't think you're eating it right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.