Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tax Bracket Question

Tax Bracket Question
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
So I was sitting in Wells Fargo yesterday waiting for someone to help me with my XIAHONGLONGDONG issue, and I noticed a pamphlet.  It detailed new tax information for 2012 and 2013, and it was mainly focused on capital gains and investments, but it also had income tax information. 

Right now, my wife and I make $82,000 combined and file jointly.  This puts us in the 25% tax bracket for 2012.  In 2013, our bracket will be taxed at 28% on income.  The bracket below is at 15% and will remain 15%. 

So, quick math says that we will pull in $59,040 after taxes after the government takes 28% away.

If I took a $15,000 paycut, it would knock us to the lower tax bracket.  So while we would be making only $67,000 combined, we would still be banking nearly same amount with the 15% tax ($56950). 

Is that accurate? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Tax Bracket Question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:46:07 AM »
So I was sitting in Wells Fargo yesterday waiting for someone to help me with my XIAHONGLONGDONG issue, and I noticed a pamphlet.  It detailed new tax information for 2012 and 2013, and it was mainly focused on capital gains and investments, but it also had income tax information. 

Right now, my wife and I make $82,000 combined and file jointly.  This puts us in the 25% tax bracket for 2012.  In 2013, our bracket will be taxed at 28% on income.  The bracket below is at 15% and will remain 15%. 

So, quick math says that we will pull in $59,040 after taxes after the government takes 28% away.

If I took a $15,000 paycut, it would knock us to the lower tax bracket.  So while we would be making only $67,000 combined, we would still be banking nearly same amount with the 15% tax ($56950). 

Is that accurate?

Using simple math, without deductions and such - Yep
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:47:57 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
without deductions and such - Yep

This is the key component to why the simple math won't work. If you guys have deductions, your tax rate will effectively be lower than the 28%...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

barkndog

• number one super guy
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
Nope, doesn't work that way - more income will still bring more take home pay.  It's a progressive tax, this site has a good explanation.

our federal income tax brackets reflect marginal rates, not a rate that is applied to your entire income. Here’s a quick example based on current income tax rates…

For a married couple filing jointly in 2008, the 10% tax bracket covers income from $0 to $16,050. From $16,050 to $65,100 the tax rate is 15%. And from $65,100 to $131,450 the tax rate is 25%. A couple with a taxable income of $100k will be in the 25% tax bracket, but they won’t have to pay 25% in federal income taxes on the full amount. Rather, they’ll pay just 10% on the first $16,050, 15% on the next $49,050, and 25% on the last $34,900. This works out to $17,687.50, or an effective rate of just under 18%.

Edit:  So this means the more money you make, you still bring more home but at a smaller rate.  Your best bet is to find ways to minimize your taxable income - flexible spending accounts, 401k's, etc that comes out before taxes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:01:06 AM by barkndog »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Silence is golden. Duck tape is silver.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
Deductions like a marriage certificate, a student loan, a mortgage, and charity donations? 

We have those. 

What's the argument against a fair tax?

You know, getting older and learning about all of this adult shit is starting to piss me off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
Nope, doesn't work that way - more income will still bring more take home pay.  It's a progressive tax, this site has a good explanation.

That makes a lot more sense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »
Deductions like a marriage certificate, a student loan, a mortgage, and charity donations? 

We have those. 

You know, getting older and learning about all of this adult shit is starting to piss me off.

You are taxed on your AGI. With all of your deductions, you may very well go down to that next bracket.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »

We have those. 

There is not a good argument against a fair tax, other than to fund entitlements and take from those who make money and give it to those who don't. And I am being dead serious. You've heard the term "wealth redistribution". Well, this is it. Yes, this stuff is very frustrating seeing it as you get older. Sometimes it takes living through it to understand it fully. Kudos to you for wading through it and trying to comprehend it objectively.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:39 AM »
You are taxed on your AGI. With all of your deductions, you may very well go down to that next bracket.

You're taxed on your taxable income, actually.  Your AGI is your gross income minus certain reductions that are detailed in 26 U.S.C. § 62.  These reductions are mostly for businesses and certain professions.  Your taxable income is your AGI minus personal exemptions and itemized deductions/standard deduction.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
You're taxed on your taxable income, actually.  Your AGI is your gross income minus certain reductions that are detailed in 26 U.S.C. § 62.  These reductions are mostly for businesses and certain professions.  Your taxable income is your AGI minus personal exemptions and itemized deductions/standard deduction.

Correct. Point being, he isn't taxed on the Gross Income he mentioned. He will be taxed on much lower than that. I used AGI because I also have a business when what I should have said was taxable income.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »

Don't listen to this guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 03:12:06 PM »
Don't listen to this guy.

In regards to taxes or teh gay butt sex? Because I hear he is quite the SME on teh gay butt sex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
In regards to taxes or teh gay butt sex? Because I hear he is quite the SME on teh gay butt sex.

Spaniards and Mexicans Expert?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »

I hear that gay butt sex shows up on Kaos's return as taxable income to him, along with everything else known to man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
I hear that gay butt sex shows up on Kaos's return as taxable income to him, along with everything else known to man.

Incum? Well, he does dress up like a cat on purpose.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE