Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fuck DuWayne Bridges (Hooray Gourmet Bottle Bill)

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Fuck DuWayne Bridges (Hooray Gourmet Bottle Bill)
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2012, 02:12:03 AM »
You keep banging on the gun drum like you're eventually going to get a song out of it.  Wrong again. 
Guns provide some benefit.

And you keep banging on the "some benefit" argument.  The fact that something has no benefit whatsoever does not mean that it should be illegal.  Or viewed as immoral/evil.  Or taken out of existence by some fictitious ruler of the universe.  However you want to phrase it, the absence of a benefit in something doesn't mean that said something shouldn't exist.

Guns are regulated.

Alcohol is regulated.

If you commit a crime with a gun you likely can't get another one legally.  Kill somebody in a DUI?  Beat your wife senseless because you're smashed?  If you can scrape together enough coins, you can walk right into the ABC store and load up again the next day.

This sounds like a gripe with our legal system, not alcohol itself.

Are you seriously so dense that you can't see the difference (and I'm using the metaphorical you, not the specific one) between something that impairs you physically and mentally even when used strictly as intended and something that can be wrongly used?  Holding a gun doesn't alter your brain patterns.  Drinking even one swallow of alcohol does.  Even one.

Drinking one swallow of alcohol does not make me go kill someone.  Drinking one swallow of alcohol doesn't make me do anything.

Are my senses dulled?  Sure.  But does miniscule or moderate amounts of alcohol make me so unaware of what I'm doing that I jump into a car and race off recklessly?  No.  I have to make a conscious decision to take such actions subsequent to drinking.

On the other hand, Ambien and Lunesta cause many people to sleepwalk without knowledge of what they're doing, to the point that people will actually get in their vehicle and drive.  I represented a client who was arrested for a DUI because he took Lunesta before bed and woke up in jail.  If alcohol did that, then you might have a point.

But because people are still consciously aware of what they're doing as they imbibe alcohol, they have the ability to choose to drive or to choose not to drive.  And if they are so inebriated that they have no clue what they are doing, then they had to make a conscious decision earlier to continue drinking until they got to that point.  That's an irresponsible choice on their part; alcohol does not force you to do anything.

I ask you again.  What if PetroChem came out with a BuzzaGas, a cannister of gas you could inhale that produced hallucinations, was highly addictive and caused myriad physical and mental impairments.

Alcohol does not produce hallucinations, nor is it considered to be "highly addictive" when compared to other drugs.  You're reaching quite a bit with this hypothetical.

Alcohol cannot be used responsibly.  That is my position.  Many people seem to think it can, many of them are dead ass wrong.

Your position appears to be based off of your personal experiences.  Sure, you throw out some statistics regarding deaths related to alcohol, but you ignore the number of people who have been able to consistently enjoy alcohol without causing deaths.  Additionally, you refuse to acknowledge that those deaths related to alcohol were ultimately caused by a person's choice to take X action after imbibing alcohol.

I might as well pull up some numbers regarding deaths caused by gun violence and conclude that guns are bad without addressing the fact that someone had to make a conscious decision to pull the trigger.

If you've never behaved in a manner you would not ordinarily, if you've never been a boor in public, if you've never violated your own set of internal moral codes because you drank a little too much, then you're either a liar or the rare exception who can possibly use alcohol responsibly.  I'm not going to point fingers but some of the claims of responsible use are utterly laughable in light of what's known.

I've never placed anyone's life or safety in danger while intoxicated.  I'm pretty sure your arguments have had nothing to do with whether someone makes a fool of themselves or is a "boor in public."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
titldnr
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:29:53 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: fudge DuWayne Bridges (Hooray Gourmet Bottle Bill)
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »
THS has come the closest to answering the basic question.  He's the only one who didn't make up ludicrious arguments or build silly straw men and thrash about. 

He listed possible health benefits of moderate consumption and provided links.  I can work with that.

It remains my conention that the miniscule benefits portrayed in those articles are overshadowed completely by the negative impact and influence of alcohol, but I can at least give credibility to his position.   

The rest of you?  Christ.  Whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff....

Yeah, I said nothing about the polyphenols that mutliply during the fermentation of grapes or grains. I never said any of that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Nope.  Said I would prefer it didn't exist.   

Not to beat a dead horse but you did call to "ban it". Just saying. And I will leave it at that because I think I know where some of the arguments in this thread are coming from.

Quote from: GH2001
If his rationale behind alcohol is that it breaks families, then why isn't he banning it altogether?

I am in favor. 
Fuck a bigger container.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:39:21 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse but you did call to "ban it". Just saying. And I will leave it at that because I think I know where some of the arguments in this thread are coming from.

If banning were a realistic option I'd support it.  Lots of things less harmful than alcohol are banned. Lead in paint is banned.  DDT is banned.

But not actively calling for that to happen. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
What wrong wit the beer we gots now?  It drank pretty good, don't it?
Haha it drank pretty good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

GH2001

« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
If banning were a realistic option I'd support it.  Lots of things less harmful than alcohol are banned. Lead in paint is banned.  DDT is banned.

But not actively calling for that to happen.

Hey, lead is ok. I ate lead paint as a kid. So did Snaggle and simp. We are all perfectly fi....wait. Nevermind. Yes, lead is bad!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »
Kaos don't you drink?  I thought I saw some beverages consumed last golf outing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »
Hey, lead is ok. I ate lead paint as a kid. So did Snaggle and simp. We are all perfectly fi....wait. Nevermind. Yes, lead is bad!

Yeah.....like....yeah.  We didn't have to...want us.....I'm hungry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »
And you keep banging on the "some benefit" argument.  The fact that something has no benefit whatsoever does not mean that it should be illegal.  Or viewed as immoral/evil.  Or taken out of existence by some fictitious ruler of the universe.  However you want to phrase it, the absence of a benefit in something doesn't mean that said something shouldn't exist.

Damn son.  You need comprehension goggles.

No benefit isn't why alcohol shouldn't exist.  The ability to cause harm is.  When something causes harm THEN you look to see what the benefits are to determine if the benefit is worth the price. 

But it's not the lack of benefit, it's the capacity to harm that puts alcohol in that category. 

Alcohol is regulated.
This sounds like a gripe with our legal system, not alcohol itself.

Not in such a way that those who do harm to themselves or others are prevented from obtaining it. 

Drinking one swallow of alcohol does not make me go kill someone.  Drinking one swallow of alcohol doesn't make me do anything.

Are my senses dulled?  Sure.  But does miniscule or moderate amounts of alcohol make me so unaware of what I'm doing that I jump into a car and race off recklessly?  No.  I have to make a conscious decision to take such actions subsequent to drinking.

On the other hand, Ambien and Lunesta cause many people to sleepwalk without knowledge of what they're doing, to the point that people will actually get in their vehicle and drive.  I represented a client who was arrested for a DUI because he took Lunesta before bed and woke up in jail.  If alcohol did that, then you might have a point.

But because people are still consciously aware of what they're doing as they imbibe alcohol, they have the ability to choose to drive or to choose not to drive.  And if they are so inebriated that they have no clue what they are doing, then they had to make a conscious decision earlier to continue drinking until they got to that point.  That's an irresponsible choice on their part; alcohol does not force you to do anything.

The part in bold discredits any of the rest of the grasping attempts to justify.  You lost that point by finally admitting what I've been saying for nine pages now.

Alcohol does not produce hallucinations, nor is it considered to be "highly addictive" when compared to other drugs.  You're reaching quite a bit with this hypothetical.

Oh, so the guy screaming all night about spiders crawling through the walls while I was in the hospital for my recent surgery actually DID see spiders?   Damn. I need to contact UAB.  They told me he was just going through alcohol withdrawal.  Lying damn nurses.  I knew there had to be spiders in there.

Those "other drugs" that are highly addictive?  All are strictly regulated and available only by prescription.  I'd be okay if things were handled that way.  Get a scrip for a beer?  Yep.  I'd be good with it.  Alcohol is probably the most addictive drug freely available.

Your position appears to be based off of your personal experiences.  Sure, you throw out some statistics regarding deaths related to alcohol, but you ignore the number of people who have been able to consistently enjoy alcohol without causing deaths.  Additionally, you refuse to acknowledge that those deaths related to alcohol were ultimately caused by a person's choice to take X action after imbibing alcohol.

I'm only asking about risk/reward.  The statistics are what they are.  It doesn't MAKE A FUCK that everybody who uses it doesn't kill or die.  You have to evaluate the risk vs. the benefit.  Would BuzzaGas be allowed to go to market today if it produced the same effects as alcohol?  I notice you ignored that analogy.  You ignored it because you know it to be true. 

I might as well pull up some numbers regarding deaths caused by gun violence and conclude that guns are bad without addressing the fact that someone had to make a conscious decision to pull the trigger.
I'm going to pull the fucking trigger if you keep trying to make this ignorant comparison. How many fucking times do I have to state the simple fact that holding a gun in your hand does not impair your judgment? 

Sometimes people who have guns do stupid things.  They have to be mentally impaired from some other cause than the gun itself.  The gun did not cause the mental damage that led to the harmful action. 

It's a simple concept. 

I've never placed anyone's life or safety in danger while intoxicated.  I'm pretty sure your arguments have had nothing to do with whether someone makes a fool of themselves or is a "boor in public."

Not even your own? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
Kaos don't you drink?  I thought I saw some beverages consumed last golf outing.

I've already said that I do on occasion.  Rarely. Maybe two or three times a year at most.

But I'd be perfectly fine if it all went away tomorrow and never existed again.  Means nothing to me.  I'd prefer that the potential for damage to be removed even if it meant that my occasional drink wasn't available. A little sacrifice for a greater good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »
K, you might actually be barking up the right tree when you said something about someone who had harmed before under the influence not being able to buy it again. Sort of like background checks with guns. If you are a felon? No gun. It may take some coordination of some sort and it would still have some gaps, but if you require Driver's License to buy alcohol, there could in theory be a DUI database attached to DL numbers. It would be about a 10 second response. Problem is, every POS would have to be hooked into the Xref database. Not sure how feasible that is. I would have no issue with refusing alcohol sales to those who have demonstrated harm with it for X amount of time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
Side note: Not really getting into the fray with this one except to say I would not be here if it weren't for the occasional alcohol overindulgence. I consider that a benefit. :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"That's what." -She

Vandy Vol

« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:56 PM »
No benefit isn't why alcohol shouldn't exist.  The ability to cause harm is.  When something causes harm THEN you look to see what the benefits are to determine if the benefit is worth the price.

When a can of alcohol gets into a car and recklessly drives it, then you'll have a legitimate argument that alcohol causes harm.  Otherwise, the harm of which you speak is a direct result of the irresponsible use of alcohol and the subsequent choices that an individual makes after imbibing.

Not in such a way that those who do harm to themselves or others are prevented from obtaining it.

Those who use alcohol in an irresponsible manner and harm others should be legally punished for their actions.  If you feel that the punishments they currently receive for their actions aren't adequate, then it sounds as if your issue is with the legal system and its treatment of alcohol abuse, which is something I agree with.

The part in bold discredits any of the rest of the grasping attempts to justify.  You lost that point by finally admitting what I've been saying for nine pages now.

Dulled senses do not equal uncontrollable reckless actions.  Just because my reaction times are slower does not mean that I will get into a car, no more than possessing a gun means that I will illegally shoot someone.  In both instances, a conscious decision still must be made by a person in order for any harm to come about; neither the gun or the alcohol are able to cause harm to others by themselves.

Oh, so the guy screaming all night about spiders crawling through the walls while I was in the hospital for my recent surgery actually DID see spiders?   Damn. I need to contact UAB.  They told me he was just going through alcohol withdrawal.  Lying damn nurses.  I knew there had to be spiders in there.

Alcohol withdrawal does not equal inebriation.  Your argument was not premised on the number of people who cause deaths by going through alcohol withdrawal.

Regardless, even if you want to go down that road, there is still the issue of choice executed by prior conscious decisions.  One sip of alcohol does not send someone into alcohol withdrawals and immediate hallucinations.  Five beers wouldn't either.  If there is a significant number of people who cause harm to others due to alcohol withdrawals, then you have to take into consideration the fact that they consciously chose to drink alcohol in such a quantity for such an extended period of time so as to develop an addiction and eventually cause alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

Those "other drugs" that are highly addictive?  All are strictly regulated and available only by prescription.

That reminds me:  I need to refill my prescription of cigarettes this afternoon.

But on a more serious note, my point was that referring to alcohol as "highly addictive" is misleading, unless you either have a very broad categorization of "highly addictive" which includes a variety of drugs with differing levels of addictiveness, or are just ignoring other drugs completely.

Cocaine, heroin, and even nicotine, for example, are "rated" as more addictive substances than alcohol in peer-reviewed medical journals.  This isn't to say that alcohol can't be referred to as "highly addictive," but there should be acknowledgement of the existence of more addictive drugs.

Aside from a differing level of addictiveness, many of those drugs which are more strictly regulated also have a more extreme and immediate effect than alcohol does.  Drinking a beer does not affect you in the same manner as doing a line of cocaine, ingesting a hit of acid, or injecting 50ccs of heroin.  It can very easily be argued that a person can not responsibly or consciously control their actions at all when influenced by such drugs; the same can not be said for alcohol, and the majority of members on this board can serve as proof of that.

I'm only asking about risk/reward.  The statistics are what they are.  It doesn't MAKE A FUCK that everybody who uses it doesn't kill or die.  You have to evaluate the risk vs. the benefit.

You first indicated with statistics on deaths related to alcohol that it was actual harm vs. benefits.  But now, it's risk of harm vs. benefits.

Regardless of this slight change in your argument, the fact still stands that the risk is created by a person's choice.  By drinking one beer, I don't risk losing all control of my ability to make choices.  Alcohol does not take control of my body and force me to walk to my car and drive.  One drink of alcohol does not force me to continue imbibing until I'm not consciously aware of my choices.  I have to make a decision to either drive while inebriated, or to continue drinking until I no longer have the ability to control my decisions consciously.  Either way, it was my irresponsible choice that put me in such a predicament.  I've made responsible drinking decisions for the last decade which have never resulted in harm to myself or others.

Is there a risk that I will act irresponsibly?  Sure, but it still requires that I make a conscious effort to act irresponsibly.  The alcohol can't do it by itself.  There's a risk that I might decide to act impulsively or irresponsibly with a gun in the future, but that doesn't mean that I need to stay away from guns.  But if I do choose to act irresponsibly in the future with a gun, then I should be blamed for my actions, not the gun.  The same should be said for alcohol.

Would BuzzaGas be allowed to go to market today if it produced the same effects as alcohol?  I notice you ignored that analogy.  You ignored it because you know it to be true.

I ignored the analogy because it wasn't an analogy.  Inebriation from alcohol does not cause hallucinations.  Withdrawals do, but as addressed above, that was not the crux of your argument; inebriation was.  Even if we assume that alcohol withdrawals can result in the death of others, there was still the choice of the person to imbibe alcohol to such an extent that they were in that situation.  Had they responsibly and moderately imbibed alcohol, they wouldn't have withdrawals.  You're blaming a substance for someone's conscious decision to abuse it.

Under that logic, dextromethorphan should be banned, because a person loses the ability to make intelligent decisions as a result of hallucinations and general impairment when they choose to ingest quantities of it which are above reasonable and/or recommended dosages.

I'm going to pull the fucking trigger if you keep trying to make this ignorant comparison. How many fucking times do I have to state the simple fact that holding a gun in your hand does not impair your judgment?

The comparison that is being made is not that guns impair your judgment.  Rather, the comparison is that, in order for a gun to be harmful to others, someone has to make a conscious decision to pull the trigger.  Similarly, in order for the ingestion of alcohol to be harmful to others, someone has to make a conscious decision to partake in an activity that they shouldn't while inebriated.

The only portion of your argument that addresses this is that alcohol impairs your judgment.  However, my judgment isn't impaired to the point that I feel an urge to drive a vehicle after one beer.  Or two.  Or five.  In fact, unless I am black out drunk, I know that I should not drive.  If I am black out drunk, then I chose to put myself in that situation, and if I did so without others around me who would be my DD or otherwise keep my from driving, then that is an irresponsible choice on my part.  My choice should be at fault, not the alcohol, because I could have stopped drinking while my judgment was not impaired, yet I consciously chose not to.

Not even your own?

Sure, I've been so absurdly drunk that I could have injured myself in some manner.  I don't get that drunk unless I'm surrounded by people I know, and I have already planned (or will be able to plan) a way to safely get home.  You'll recall at the golf tournament last year that, despite my crazy eyes and stumbling about, I rode home with a sober friend and never made an attempt to even reach for my keys when it was time to leave, much less actually get in my vehicle.

However, I'm pretty sure that the likelihood of me injuring myself as a result of inebriation is not a part of your argument, as you don't really care what negative effects a substance has on me.  Unless, of course, you're recanting this statement:

I don't give a shit if you drink lye or suck down draino.  Don't care if you smoke 40 packs a day (in your own house where it's not on me).  Doesn't bother me if you eat Big Macs for breakfast, lunch, dinner, fourth meal, second supper and third snack. 

To quote Raising Arizona "You're only hurting yourself with that rambunctious behavior." 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
TFL;NGR

Because you're making the same stupid erroneous arguments all over again.  And failing. Again. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
K,  I agree that the harm alcohol has the potential to do outweighs any benefits it might have.  However, do you not agree that the harm it causes is almost always the direct result of a poor decision made by someone while sober?  You've poo poo'd the gun argument, but I see it as the same.  It's only dangerous to others when abused or used with poor judgement, and it takes human actions to make it dangerous.  Do you not see the humans causing the harm as at fault?  Or do you simply believe if they didn't have access to alcohol that they wouldn't be causing the harm?

The harm it causes to the one consuming it depends a lot on how often and how much.  Consumed the way you claim you do, any harm it might do, is so slight that it's not noticeable, and probably is reversible.    I've done some research on it in the past.  Even the liver can repair itself to a certain point.  People can drink socially all their lives and suffer no major health problems due to it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: fudge DuWayne Bridges (Hooray Gourmet Bottle Bill)
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
TFL;NGR

Because you're making the same stupid erroneous arguments all over again.  And failing. Again.

His arguments are better than your rebuttals, which are "nuh-uh" over and over again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.