Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Finally a Playoff?

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Finally a Playoff?
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
It's all subjective when you get down to it, but there will have to be some input by humans on who the cream of the crop is. At least on who gets to play. I think most people can agree who the best 4/8/16 teams are. Then, let them all control their destiny from that point on.....

If we were talking about the humans choosing the National Champion, just 1 team of all 120, I would be inclined to agree with you. But looking at wins, dominance, SOS, etc - it shouldn't be that big of a deal to choose X amount of teams to play for it all.
ESPN, the sports writers, and coaches do this now and always stack the deck against the non-traditional schools. How many times have we looked at the preseason poll and wondered "what the fuck?"; seeing Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, etc given the gift of a high ranking year after year based on nothing more than their name - the "safe bet" ballot, if you will. The human factor has failed us.

Adding 2 wildcards (1 to each side of the bracket) would be a good option, but would add another game to the equation, something the AD's and university president have been firmly against.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 04:39:51 AM »
Here's what I'd do...

We have 8 major conferences in D1. Scrape 1 cupcake off the regular season schedule, to reduce it down to 11 games. Have the champion from each of the major 8 entered into the championship pool. These teams play for it all and, by making it a requirement that a team be their conference champ, it removes ESPN's bias that produces the horseshit we have seen since the BCS's inception. In this scenario, only 2 teams will have to play a 15th game, but we will have a true national champion that is decided on the field. No bias, no bullshit, win your conference & you get a shot.

Everyone else (that qualifies) plays a bowl game.

Boom!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
Here's what I'd do...

We have 8 major conferences in D1. Scrape 1 cupcake off the regular season schedule, to reduce it down to 11 games. Have the champion from each of the major 8 entered into the championship pool. These teams play for it all and, by making it a requirement that a team be their conference champ, it removes ESPN's bias that produces the horseshit we have seen since the BCS's inception. In this scenario, only 2 teams will have to play a 15th game, but we will have a true national champion that is decided on the field. No bias, no bullshit, win your conference & you get a shot.

Everyone else (that qualifies) plays a bowl game.

Boom!

It's like PCT writes it and then you rewrite it several days later....deja-vu
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
ESPN, the sports writers, and coaches do this now and always stack the deck against the non-traditional schools. How many times have we looked at the preseason poll and wondered "what the fuck?"; seeing Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, etc given the gift of a high ranking year after year based on nothing more than their name - the "safe bet" ballot, if you will. The human factor has failed us.

Adding 2 wildcards (1 to each side of the bracket) would be a good option, but would add another game to the equation, something the AD's and university president have been firmly against.
They stack them at the beginning of the season but once Texas and Notre Dame lose their yearly 4-5 games, its impossible to keep them ranked high - no matter how much of a hard on the media has for them.  The 0 and 1 loss teams will rise to the top over them.  I would say as flawed as the human polls are, they get the top 10 pretty accurate more times than not. It's when you ask them to pick 1 team as the National Champion or 2 teams to play for it, that you get controversy. At least with 4/8/16, the selection field is being expanded, so that #3 or #4 can't bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »

Fuck sakes, what's next?  Prowler reposting year old vid...wait what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
Fuck sakes, what's next?  Prowler reposting year old vid...wait what?

The guy - he amazes me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
The guy - he amazes me.

His skreets have no boundaries   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
His skreets have no boundaries

And no name either
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »
I am the skreets!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."