Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bammer on Probation again!

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Bammer on Probation again!
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:07 PM »
I think March is when his website went up.

No?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
I think March is when his website went up.

No?

Si.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Aubie16

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »
What happened in March for him to be ineligible?  Is the arrest not a very recent occurrence?  Did I miss him doing something back a few months ago?

Opening a website with his likeness/fame as a football player promoting a business. Wasn't that you who looked up the date it went online and the rules regarding it? I'm suddenly confused.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

wesfau2

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
Opening a website with his likeness/fame as a football player promoting a business. Wasn't that you who looked up the date it went online and the rules regarding it? I'm suddenly confused.

OK...let's back up (we'll start with Dec. '07):

Dec. 07: JJ is on the Bama team, still eligible
March 08: JJ registers the website (who knows how long he's been selling them), still eligible
June 08: JJ is arrested, thrown out of school...ineligible.

Yeah, the website would trigger a forfeiture of his eligibility...but only if he's caught.  The fact that he hasn't played in a game since would not matter.  He became a student-athlete when he enrolled at Bama, he broke the rules in March 08 (for the sake of this discussion, the website will be the rule-breaking event), and he is officially ineligible now because he's been thrown out of school.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:04:00 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »
This is a runaway train of rules violations :rofl: Prowler thinks this could get big and deep with at least 10 players to be named in the drug cartel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Aubie16

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
OK...let's back up (we'll start with Dec. '07):

Dec. 07: JJ is on the Bama team, still eligible
March 08: JJ registers the website (who knows how long he's been selling them), still eligible
June 08: JJ is arrested, thrown out of school...ineligible.

No...by NCAA standards he would have been ineligible the  moment he opened that site and made a transaction.But he never played a game afterwords so Bama couldnt get in trouble. I thought somebody in here was saying Alabama would get in trouble for the site? Did nobody say that? My apologies if not. That was the only part I was disagreeing with.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:07:37 PM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

Aubie16

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 03:05:06 PM »
Jesus I need a beer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 03:05:53 PM »
Jesus I need a beer.

I need a bump.  Too bad my supplier just got pinched......I mean yea I need a beer as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »
No...by NCAA standards he would have been ineligible the  moment he opened that site and made a transaction.

Right, but only if caught.

The rule, however, only says that you forfeit your eligibility if after you become a student-athlete you engage in the prohibited behavior.

Let's leave aside, for a moment, the drug charges.  JJ became a student-athlete, then broke the rules in March 08.  This is a technical loss of eligibility because no one has called him out on it yet.  Therefore, up until the day of his arrest, JJ was for all practical purposes eligible as a student-athlete.  Any adjudication of loss of eligibility will be retroactive to the date of violation.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:08:36 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »
Right, but only if caught.

The rule, however, only says that you forfeit your eligibility if after you become a student-athlete you engage in the prohibited behavior.

Let's leave aside, for a moment, the drug charges.  JJ became a student-athlete, then broke the rules in March 08.  This is a technical loss of eligibility because no one has called him out on it yet.

Let's go back to this...

Loss of Institutional Control

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Aubie16

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
Read my edit above. I think that is why I was confused. I thought people were saying Alabama could get hit with a violation for this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
Read my edit above. I think that is why I was confused. I thought people were saying Alabama could get hit with a violation for this.

I still think they can.  Sorry, I've been editing my posts as we go so my point may be getting blurred.

My point is that up until his arrest JJ was still for all practical purposes a student-athlete eligible to play for Bama. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
I still think they can.  Sorry, I've been editing my posts as we go so my point may be getting blurred.

My point is that up until his arrest JJ was still for all practical purposes a student-athlete eligible to play for Bama. 

Interesting. I hope you are right. I didn't think you could get in trouble for thinking someone is eligible when they are not unless they actually participated in something. But I didn't consider that spring practice may have still been going on during that time. So that is something else to consider.

Anyways, I think I'm going to drink a beer and slowly step out of this thread. My head hurts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:13:54 PM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »
I didn't think you could get in trouble for thinking someone is eligible when they are not unless they actually participated in something.

Universities have entire departments devoted to NCAA compliance.  It is their job to know and not "think".

But I didn't consider that spring practice may have still been going on during that time.

Practice has nothing to do with it.  The players aren't ineligible during off-season and downtime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »

100% true
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

wesfau2

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 03:39:23 PM »
The official Bama spin from TideSports.com:

TUSCALOOSA | Former University of Alabama football player Jimmy Johns violated NCAA eligibility rules this spring by allowing his image to be used on a Web site advertising the sale and breeding of pit bull terriers.

Images of Johns, who was arrested on drug possession and distribution charges and dismissed from the UA team Tuesday, appear prominently on the Web site jimmyjohnspitbulls.com, which bears the slogan “Jimmy Johns Linebacker Bullies” on its home page. Images of Johns on the practice field in his University of Alabama uniform are posted on the site.

Under NCAA rules, student-athletes are allowed to establish a business but cannot use their “name, photograph, appearance or athletics reputation” to promote the business. Bylaw 12.5.2.1 states that a student-athlete will lose eligibility if he “accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind.”

Johns completed three years of eligibility at Alabama and would have one year remaining if he enrolled at another school.

Attempts to reach Johns at an e-mail address listed on the Web site were unsuccessful.

The Web site’s domain name was created on March 6, a week before the start of UA’s spring football practice, and was registered by Domains by Proxy, Inc., a Scottsdale, Ariz., company. The company declined to identify the domain name’s owner, and said the domain name’s registration will not expire until next March.

Natasha Wells, who operates Mastin’s Pitbulls in Montgomery with her husband Chris, confirmed that Johns bought two dogs from the company. She denied the dogs were used for any illegal activity.

“None of our dogs are used for fighting. We are a family run kennel and that’s all I can say,” she said.

Mastin’s Pitbulls posted a statement on its Web site Tuesday, stating:

“We were very shocked and sadden by the events that have taken place with Mr. Johns. We do NOT condone any actions allegedly made by him. We are a family based kennel that tries to find our pets the best homes possible. We are not nor were we ever aware of or part of any illegal activities that took place.”

The statement also said that the breeders checked up on the two dogs purchased by Johns and found them to be healthy and well cared for, and that selling two dogs to Johns is the only affiliation Mastin’s Pitbulls had with the former player.

UA athletic department spokesman Jeff Purinton said Wednesday that UA officials had no knowledge of the Web site or Johns’ activities in raising pit bulls until after Johns’ arrest.

“The Web site was brought to our attention for the first time yesterday,” Purtinton said.

Reach Tommy Deas at tommy.deas@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0224.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20080625/NEWS/46761593/1011
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »
See? Saban only bumped into this website yesterday.

Nothing to see here. Move on.org
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

:silence:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 07:18:32 PM »
So, is it a Violation if the Head Coach not only knew about his selling of Cocaine, but was also the Ring Leader?  That explains why he's able to recruit 24/7/365.  I also, never really noticed this, but check out the midget's Nostrils....That's a hell of a hit.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »
This from EDSBS.....on April 17th, '08....

You don’t need to know that. What? Whatever. Fans don’t need to know. Anything.
I thought we could get through this without this stuff without an issue. But if you really wanna know how we’re gonna deal with it? I mean, really? Fine. I’ll let you know how we’re gonna deal with it.

—John Parker Wilson’s gonna go to Bonnaroo. And when he does, he’s gonna get the bad acid. We’ll call it Lyme disease and get him a medical exemption. Don’t ask me where we got the idea. You don’t need to know that, either.

Jimmy Johns will leave to pursue a religious calling. He’s gonna go find a trust fund in his name for $250K in Buenos Aires and then scream, “Praise Jesus!” The trick is: he’s got to walk there. It’ll take him years, but we’re all about the process here at Alabama. I told Jimmy to watch the crocodiles in the Isthmus of Panama. He’s a good kid. He might make it.

—I will pit two of Shula’s signees against each other, and place both in a circle. The circle will be outlined in flames. Two shall enter; none shall leave. Because I’m going to have a sniper shoot the winner, and it’s all gonna happen in slow motion, because this is MY PRISON MOVIE, I’M THE WARDEN, AND YOU’RE ALL DANCING NANCIES IN MY SHAWSHANK SCRIPT!!!!

I also have an announcement, yes, an announcement everyone: there is a horde of killer bees loose on campus, and they’re following Leigh Tiffin around campus. Why he’s covered with honey, I don’t know. That’s why I returned to the college game: for young people, and the crazy things they do, like walking in front of a masked man carring a honey sprayer and a basket full of killer bees on campus and not thinking, “Oh, my, what’s a man doing with a mask on and a gun that sprays honey and a basket labeled “KILLER BEES”, nope not suspicious at all.” Gotta love that about college kids.

I believe that takes care of five scholarships right there. I mean, we’re praying for Leigh to recover.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I don’t have time for this shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs