Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Idiots emerging with diplomas

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Idiots emerging with diplomas
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
http://blog.al.com/wire/2012/04/1_in_2_new_graduates_are_joble.html#incart_hbx

Article about new college graduates having trouble finding jobs.  Some interesting quotes:

While there's strong demand in science, education and health fields, arts and humanities flounder. Median wages for those with bachelor's degrees are down from 2000, hit by technological changes that are eliminating midlevel jobs such as bank tellers.

So if you get a degree that gives you a background and the ability to actually DO something of value you don't have as many problems. [/i]

"I don't even know what I'm looking for," says Michael Bledsoe, who described months of fruitless job searches as he served customers at a Seattle coffeehouse. The 23-year-old graduated in 2010 with a creative writing degree.

Well darn, Mikey.  I guess those high paying positions were looking for something a little more meaningful than a CREATIVE FUCKING WRITING degree.  I lay some blame with the college counselors.  Somebody needs to tell them when they declare that they are not going to be able to get a job with this degree. [/i]

Initially hopeful that his college education would create opportunities, Bledsoe languished for three months before finally taking a job as a barista, a position he has held for the last two years. In the beginning he sent three or four resumes day. But, Bledsoe said, employers questioned his lack of experience or the practical worth of his major. Now he sends a resume once every two weeks or so.

Poor little, Mikey.  Has to work at a job he considers beneath him because he has a "creative writing" degree.  Way to waste four years, numbfuck.  Lesson learned?

This pissy fuck is "lamenting" that he has to work at a coffee house while he still sends out resumes looking for that big dollar job. 

What the hell happened to starting where you can and trying to work your way up?  Fuck this idiot cumstain.  So what if you're slinging coffee and not rolling in cash like you thought you would when you walked out of DoucheNozzle U with your "creating writing" (insert bawling laughter) degree.  Fuck you.  Work like your parents and grandparents had to.  Or don't. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:47:55 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Idiots emerging with diplomas
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »
Creative writing?   That's what I called my first resume.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Re: Idiots emerging with diplomas
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »
There's a mindset with my generation that money is deserved.  Not sure where it's been cultivated.  Maybe because all of our role models are instant millionaires in the entertainment industry. 

I can admit that it was extremely tough for me to accept my paycheck as a school teacher.  Even though I've known since I got hired that this is a low paying job compared to other successful people, it took me a while to understand it.

When my friend hit his third promotion by age 27 and received his new $55k/year salary, I started understanding it.

When my friend closed his first case as a plaintiff attorney and got a $21k paycheck, I really understood it. 

But I don't feel entitled to more.  I may want more, but there are some people out there who think that because they're educated, because they work hard, and because they have potential that it means they should automatically get more money.  That's not true. 

As discussed in a different thread, working smart is what's important.  Creative writing?  Terrible degree to get if you want money and success and longetivity.  But it's not impossible to find work.  Michael Bledsoe could use his skills somewhere.  He just may have to give up the TV, the videogames, the cellphone, the fancy computer, the hip location in an expensive city, the restaurants, the alcohol, the beach, the trip to the mountains, etc.  At least for a little while. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole