Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tri States BBQ Cook Off

JR4AU

Re: Tri States BBQ Cook Off
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
I had the itch to try sumpin' new last night, and VV was nowhere around.  So, I picked up this stuff and threw it on the grill.  It was good, but it was prolly the greasiest sausage that I have ever tried.  I don't mind a little fat...  It tends to keep meat moist and add a bit of flavor.  However, this stuff was spraying so much grease, it turned my grill into a heat treating kiln.  Any tricks for dealing with that when trying to grill this stuff?  I already had the heat down at it's lowest setting, and I finally shut one of the burners off.

Get a Weber Kettle, use charcoal like the rest of us heterosexual Alphas do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »
My Kroger here in Woodstock sells the Conecuh. The problem I run into here in GA is that we do not get the cajun flavored. The Cajun Conecuh is excellent.

I love the turnips but hate the work. So I sometimes throw in two bags of frozen and two cans of Margeret Holmes onto a crock pot with the conecuh cajun cut up in it. Let that cook for 8 hours and it is very passable for decent greens.

Love to slice up and fry the cajun in a skillet with biscuits or just by itself. Try the cajun conecuh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »
My Kroger here in Woodstock sells the Conecuh. The problem I run into here in GA is that we do not get the cajun flavored. The Cajun Conecuh is excellent.

I love the turnips but hate the work. So I sometimes throw in two bags of frozen and two cans of Margeret Holmes onto a crock pot with the conecuh cajun cut up in it. Let that cook for 8 hours and it is very passable for decent greens.

Love to slice up and fry the cajun in a skillet with biscuits or just by itself. Try the cajun conecuh.

You don't have the "fresh" bagged greens that are already stemmed, washed, and chopped in the produce section?  None of the work, all the real fresh greens.  Our Publix and Walmarks carries Turnip, Mustard, Kale, and Collard greens in the bag.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »
You don't have the "fresh" bagged greens that are already stemmed, washed, and chopped in the produce section?  None of the work, all the real fresh greens.  Our Publix and Walmarks carries Turnip, Mustard, Kale, and Collard greens in the bag.

I'm not sure those will cook in the crock pot as well. The canned are already cooked. so I can throw these in (usually at the hunting club) and it will be ready for lunch.

Try the combo once. I didn't think it would be good, but it's pretty good in a pinch. And with the conecuh in it...

I also use the conecuh hot and spicy. That will give the greens a big kick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 09:55:37 AM »

Same here at Kroger, Publix and WM. Although during Spring and Summer I like to grow my own but yall are right, it is rather tedious to clean and cut them. Damn well worth it usually though. I prefer collards over turnips - just a personal preference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:21 PM »
Get a Weber Kettle, use charcoal like the rest of us heterosexual Alphas do.

That is only done for tailgating...  And, maybe camping...  Unless, you live in a trailer park. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GarMan

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
Pube-Licks normally carries it.  The one in Acworth on Cobb Parkway carries 4 flavas...  I tried the Cajun stuff on Tuesday, and we tried the Original stuff last night.  The Original stuff seemed to cook a little better than my attempt wiff the Cajun stuff.  Not many flame-ups... 

My first assessment stands.  This stuff is greasy.  Comparing the RDA tags to that of other sausages, this stuff seems to have twice the fat.  I'll put it the rotation, but it won't make the short list... unless I'm bound up and need a catalyst to help purge the large intestine. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GH2001

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
Pube-Licks normally carries it.  The one in Acworth on Cobb Parkway carries 4 flavas...  I tried the Cajun stuff on Tuesday, and we tried the Original stuff last night.  The Original stuff seemed to cook a little better than my attempt wiff the Cajun stuff.  Not many flame-ups... 

My first assessment stands.  This stuff is greasy.  Comparing the RDA tags to that of other sausages, this stuff seems to have twice the fat.  I'll put it the rotation, but it won't make the short list... unless I'm bound up and need a catalyst to help purge the large intestine.

You are reading labels on sausage and worrying about fat content and grease? With sausage?

Newsflash - pork sausage in its true unadulterated form without diet nazi's touching it, removing a lot of the fat and replacing it with chemicals and nitrates - IS greasy and fattening. Maybe you should go get some South beach Diet Turkey Sausage or Soy Sausage from the weirdo vegan section....  :fag:

Beta male.    :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »
He loves the sausage
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »
That is only done for tailgating...  And, maybe camping...  Unless, you live in a trailer park.

FAIL!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
You are reading labels on sausage and worrying about fat content and grease? With sausage?

Newsflash - pork sausage in its true unadulterated form without diet nazi's touching it, removing a lot of the fat and replacing it with chemicals and nitrates - IS greasy and fattening. Maybe you should go get some South beach Diet Turkey Sausage or Soy Sausage from the weirdo vegan section....  :fag:

^^^THIS^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
I had a Weber Bowl in man-pit for 4-5 years before I switched it out for The Egg.  Weber makes a damn fine grill.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »
I had a Weber Bowl in man-pit for 4-5 years before I switched it out for The Egg.  Weber makes a damn fine grill.

Yes they do. I like the new infrared charbroils too at Lowe's. Saw a few at Academy in Auburn this past weekend. Smoker on one end, infrared burner on the other end. One half of Grill was Charcoal, one half was gas, underneath was a cabinet. TONS of space. Only 399.99. Some brand I had never heard of but it was nice.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »

For the money, yep, it's damn good. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »

Trust me...  I'm the last person to ever really have a problem with fat.  You'll rarely find me trimming most cuts of meat, whether it be beef, pork, lamb or whatever. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
FAIL!
Oh...  You're one of those charcoal purists... 

I've heard it all before.  Perhaps, I don't get that wonderful smokey flavor of charcoal when I grill.  Of course, if I really wanted a legitimate smokey flavor, I'd just add some wood chips to the smoker tray. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
I use both, I have a gasser for when I need to cook quickly, such as this evening when I get home at 6, have a hungry 2 year old that has to be in bed by 8:30.   When I have the time, charcoal all the way.   Charcoal to me is by far the best way to cook. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »
I use both, I have a gasser for when I need to cook quickly, such as this evening when I get home at 6, have a hungry 2 year old that has to be in bed by 8:30.   When I have the time, charcoal all the way.   Charcoal to me is by far the best way to cook.

Agreed.  Although, I haven't hooked up the gasser in several years.  I've just fallen in love with the coals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2012, 10:27:06 PM »
Oh...  You're one of those charcoal purists... 

I've heard it all before.  Perhaps, I don't get that wonderful smokey flavor of charcoal when I grill.  Of course, if I really wanted a legitimate smokey flavor, I'd just add some wood chips to the smoker tray.

Kinda like we've all heard your shit before...you know "do it this way or you're gay, because it's the way I do it, and I'm an Alpha male"?

To get a true "smoking flavor" you have to add wood chips to charcoal too.  You've simply decided the easier way is best...nobody actually thinks gas flavor trumps charcoal...nobody that has any discerning tastes. 

Actually gas has it's place if you spend enough money to get the BTUs required to sear properly, but I was answering your question, and throwing your typical spin on it.  The Weber Kettle, by design, prevents flame ups.  I've never seen a gas grill that had the capability to sear meat properly that wouldn't flame up badly with higher fat meats like sausage and hamburger.  The Weber, with the top on during cooking, allows enough air flow to maintain high heat, but it prevents flame ups.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:28:58 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
Kinda like we've all heard your shit before...you know "do it this way or you're gay, because it's the way I do it, and I'm an Alpha male"?
And, you never have that know-better-than-everyone-else attitude, Boss.  Who the fuck do you think you're fooling?

To get a true "smoking flavor" you have to add wood chips to charcoal too.  You've simply decided the easier way is best...nobody actually thinks gas flavor trumps charcoal...nobody that has any discerning tastes. 
I didn't decide that, Boss, just poking back at ya...  I grill often, usually everyday when I'm not traveling, and I always go for the nicer cuts of meat.  Aged beef whenever possible...  Usually around 2 inches thick...  Capital Grill, Mortons, Palm, Sparks, et al really don't have much on me. 

Actually gas has it's place if you spend enough money to get the BTUs required to sear properly, but I was answering your question, and throwing your typical spin on it.  The Weber Kettle, by design, prevents flame ups.  I've never seen a gas grill that had the capability to sear meat properly that wouldn't flame up badly with higher fat meats like sausage and hamburger.  The Weber, with the top on during cooking, allows enough air flow to maintain high heat, but it prevents flame ups.
I actually have one of those Weber Kettles at home.  I just haven't used it in years.  My last gas grill worked pretty well.  It was a higher end Weber Genesis.  It seared meat very well.  I could get it up to 500+ degrees in just a few minutes.  Worked great...  I'm using an Ultra Chef now.  It's supposed to be higher end than the Weber, but it takes a while to get to those 500+ degree temperatures.  I don't normally have flame-up issues, and as I mentioned in the other thread, I usually get my sausage from the meat department or an actual butcher. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions