Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

My 5th Grade Field Trip

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
My 5th Grade Field Trip
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
Yep, spent many hours on a bus with Mini-Snags and his 5th grade class on a field trip to American Village in Montevallo.  Had never heard of it and no idea what it was about.  Actually a pretty cool place.  First off, beautiful country around there.  American Village is a whole series of buildings around a complex where they teach about America in the 1700's and all the events surrounding our break from bloody old England.  Appears to be geared towards just what happened yesterday, which was taking about 150 school kids through a series of reinactments.  I think I liked it better than they did.

They divide the kids into groups and assign them as representatives of different states.  The kids carry that flag everywhere they go and each building is of course, a different reinactment that they participate in.  The workers there dress in the authentic apparel from that time and they stay in character the whole day, no matter what.  I tried talking to one of them off to the side and he kept the British accent and stayed in character.  They started by announcing the Stamp Tax on the front steps and getting the crowd riled up to oppose it.  One building was set up as a big meeting hall where the kids would participate as delegates from different states and vote to break from England.

Another area had tents like an encampment and the host taught them how to reload and fire a musket, stand in line to march and fire etc.  I know several of you on here are history buffs and into that type thing.  I just thought it was really well done and worth the trip. PLus there were a lot of hot moms on the bus too, which never hurts.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: My 5th Grade Field Trip
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
Yep, spent many hours on a bus with Mini-Snags and his 5th grade class on a field trip to American Village in Montevallo.  Had never heard of it and no idea what it was about.  Actually a pretty cool place.  First off, beautiful country around there.  American Village is a whole series of buildings around a complex where they teach about America in the 1700's and all the events surrounding our break from bloody old England.  Appears to be geared towards just what happened yesterday, which was taking about 150 school kids through a series of reinactments.  I think I liked it better than they did.

They divide the kids into groups and assign them as representatives of different states.  The kids carry that flag everywhere they go and each building is of course, a different reinactment that they participate in.  The workers there dress in the authentic apparel from that time and they stay in character the whole day, no matter what.  I tried talking to one of them off to the side and he kept the British accent and stayed in character.  They started by announcing the Stamp Tax on the front steps and getting the crowd riled up to oppose it.  One building was set up as a big meeting hall where the kids would participate as delegates from different states and vote to break from England.

Another area had tents like an encampment and the host taught them how to reload and fire a musket, stand in line to march and fire etc.  I know several of you on here are history buffs and into that type thing.  I just thought it was really well done and worth the trip. PLus there were a lot of hot moms on the bus too, which never hurts.

Was there a section filled with really creepy dolls? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
Was there a section filled with really creepy dolls?

Yes.  You've been there?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
We've taken our students there before.  Nice place.  They have a great fireworks show on July 4th. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »

Live just a 5 minute drive from there, only been once, but it was for a ceremony, not to see all the stuff.  That was 10 years ago, and it's gotten a lot bigger since.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:12:26 PM »
Yes.  You've been there?

Nope. But I know the dolls.  I think they tried to kill me once.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
I go tubing down the Coosa near Montevallo.  Many a drunk summer days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »
Nope. But I know the dolls.  I think they tried to kill me once.

You never learned the difference between good touch, bad touch...apparently!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

This is a really cool place as well if you like the throwback stuff.....

http://www.westville.org/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »
Live just a 5 minute drive from there, only been once, but it was for a ceremony, not to see all the stuff.  That was 10 years ago, and it's gotten a lot bigger since.

I thought the countryside was beautiful in that area.  One not so beautiful thing was literally 5 minutes after we pulled out from the school and turned on 231 North.  Still dark at 5:30 in the morning and there were all the rescue personell at a wreck site.  Of course, they were routing traffic slowly by it so we all, kids included, got a long rubber-neck look.  Apparently, someone fell asleep at the wheel and left the roadway and into a tree.  O-frickin'-bliterated the truck and the body was covered up by the roadway.  It went from screaming kids to just silence.  That'll get your trip off to a great start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »
I go tubing down the Coosa near Montevallo.  Many a drunk summer days.

So drunk you thought you were on the Coosa when you were on the Cahaba?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
I thought the countryside was beautiful in that area. 

Yeah, it's a pretty area.  I drive through Montevallo every day on the way to work.  I work about 25 miles south of there.  I much prefer seeing the farm land, cows, deer and turkey every day rather than the interstate clogged with cars and high rise buildings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
So drunk you thought you were on the Coosa when you were on the Cahaba?
I never claimed to be a geographer. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
This is a really cool place as well if you like the throwback stuff.....

http://www.westville.org/

I live about 45 mins from there. Also cool.

Snags, simp - this one is close to you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »

Have not been.  Looks like a fine way to kill a Saturday. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »
The workers there dress in the authentic apparel from that time and they stay in character the whole day, no matter what.  I tried talking to one of them off to the side and he kept the British accent and stayed in character. 

Am surprised no one has mentioned the South Park episode about this very thing.  It is HILARIOUS. Can't post it but worth a google.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »

Been there once. I liked it but watch your step. My 6 yr old found a nice steamy pile of horse shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions