Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn scrimmage gives LaDarius Owens, rest of defense a chance to impress

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn's LaDarius Owens is feeling more comfortable in his second season at defensive end, and he's received an extra boost by an edict from new defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder. 

VanGorder has told his defensive linemen to be in the attack mode rather than clogging gaps. 

"It's refreshing," Owens says. "It kind of frees you up from thinking so much and just tells you to go make plays. You still got to do your job, but the main thing is getting penetration and being a disruption." 

Owens and the rest of the defense will be looking to do just that in this morning's second major scrimmage of the spring in Jordan-Hare Stadium. Quarterback Clint Moseley is expected to play after being held out of last Saturday's scrimmage because of a sore shoulder. Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler said Moseley has rejoined the quarterback race in earnest after a week in which Kiehl Frazier and Zeke Pike took many of the snaps. 

Owens won't be allowed to hit any of the quarterbacks but he still has a chance to impress VanGorder, who is open to the idea. 

There are plenty of opportunities, considering Auburn is now without nine players who are missing all or part of spring practice because of injuries. Of those, eight play defense and three are on the defensive line. 

"We started spring ball with the idea that all positions were competitive," VanGorder said. "And guys that are injured, I don't know a lot about them. Part of coaching is through practice you develop a trust of players. So these guys with opportunity, if they can go out and develop a sense of consistency in their play, then that gives them a big advantage as we come back for training camp." 

Owens knows.

"I'll see a lot of snaps during the scrimmage, I'm sure, so it'll be an opportunity to go take advantage of it," he said. 

Owens, who was once a linebacker, said he's adapting. 

"The progression is going well," he said. "It spiked up a lot this week, I guess because we got the first two weeks out of the way. We're getting used to putting in the plays, just being around each other, knowing what coach VanGorder expects out of us. We have a better understanding of it, so now we're just grasping it and putting it into action."

Owens said last Saturday's scrimmage was "kind of rusty to me." 

But he said he's learning. 

"I'm not hesitant at all about what I need to do or how I need to attack the offensive tackle or guard or whatever it is. It's a much bigger difference for me now," Owens said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."