Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Official 2012 MLB Bitch and Moan Thread

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: The Official 2012 MLB Bitch and Moan Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
Absolutely right.  Nothing that any of us wouldn't have done.  Take the money.

However, his comments to Cardinals fans, his wife's comments about the organization.  They need to get better PR people.  His wife says the Cardinals insulted him?  They offer a 9/year 195M.  Pujols says no, he wants to be in the 25M a year category.  So Cards fire back with a 5 year, 125M deal.  And that's insulting?  Wish I could be insulted like that.

The Cards made him a superstar and made him super wealthy. Ungrateful fucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Absolutely right.  Nothing that any of us wouldn't have done.  Take the money.

However, his comments to Cardinals fans, his wife's comments about the organization.  They need to get better PR people.  His wife says the Cardinals insulted him?  They offer a 9/year 195M.  Pujols says no, he wants to be in the 25M a year category.  So Cards fire back with a 5 year, 125M deal.  And that's insulting?  Wish I could be insulted like that.

Talk dirty to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »

All he had to say is something like, "I really appreciate my time in St Louis, it's a great organization, the fans are great, but I think this is the best opportunity for me and my family," and I think 99% of Cardinals fans would have been fine with it.

But his wife gets on the air around Christmas time, and starts blasting people in the area for not donating money at Christmas time to their foundation.  "Donations are down about 60% from last year, and we think it's because he signed with the Angels."  Ya think?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2012, 01:04:30 PM »
Who was it that took out a full ad in the newspaper thanking the fans? Favre maybe?

That kind of shit can go a long way...

Bullshit. The Cards did not make him a star. The Cards won a couple of rings and made a fucking killing while Pujols played for them. Pujols would have been a star if he would have played for the Yankees, Pirates, Rays or Cardinals. The Cardinals didn't make him a star any more than they could make me a star. They paid him to play a game and he performed like he was paid to do. He happened to be a star that played for the Cards just like he would have been at any other team. The Cards didn't give him his god-given talent to hit a fucking baseball...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:07:12 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
Who was it that took out a full ad in the newspaper thanking the fans? Favre maybe?

That kind of shit can go a long way...

Bullshit. The Cards did not make him a star. The Cards won a couple of rings and made a fucking killing while Pujols played for them. Pujols would have been a star if he would have played for the Yankees, Pirates, Rays or Cardinals. The Cardinals didn't make him a star any more than they could make me a star. They paid him to play a game and he performed like he was paid to do. He happened to be a star that played for the Cards just like he would have been at any other team. The Cards didn't give him his god-given talent to hit a fucking baseball...

ummmm....ok. They somewhat discovered him when no one else saw anything. A select few in that organization chose to bring him up from minor league ball when most folks didn't think it was a wise decision. And ultimately, they PAID him and gave him a nice job for 10 years. Without the teams and the fans, these guys are just regular Joe Blows working a regular job. Pujols was a diamond in the rough that few people saw. The Cards gave him a chance.

Few major league teams were very interested in Pujols out of high school, but he was finally drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 13th round of the 1999 MLB Draft, with the 402nd overall pick.  However, Pujols initially turned down a $10,000 bonus and opted to play for the Hays Larks in Hays, Kansas in Jayhawk League of the National Baseball Congress instead. The Cardinals increased their bonus offer to $60,000; Pujols signed and was assigned to the minor leagues.

During the 2001 season, the team was preparing to send Pujols to Memphis-AAA. However, Pujols' outstanding play, combined with injuries on the big league roster, allowed Pujols the opportunity to begin the season in the majors. During spring training Mark McGwire reportedly told Tony La Russa "If you don't put this guy on the roster for the 2001 season, it might be one of the worst moves you make in your career."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:17:40 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »
ummmm....ok. They somewhat discovered him when no one else saw anything. A select few in that organization chose to bring him up from minor league ball when most folks didn't think it was a wise decision. And ultimately, they PAID him and gave him a nice job for 10 years. Without the teams and the fans, these guys are just regular Joe Blows working a regular job. Pujols was a diamond in the rough that few people saw. The Cards gave him a chance.

The Cards gave him a chance to play. If they wouldn't have signed him and he continued to play for the National Baseball Congress...whatever that is...he would have eventually been discovered. The Cards didn't grant Pujols the ability to hit the ball...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
No one said they gave him his talent. They gave him a chance when others wouldn't....and a shit ton of money.

The Cards didn't grant Pujols the ability to hit the ball...

DOESNT =

Quote from: GH2001
The Cards made him a superstar and made him super wealthy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »
Yes, the talent comes first and foremost.  However, the Cards paid him and marketed him to the city and major league baseball in general to be a mega star. 

One of the most over-hyped, over-marketed "stars" in the history of sports to me was Chicago Bulls', Scottie Pippin.  Won what...6 world titles on Jordan's coattails and at one time was named one of the top 50 players in the history of the game. Bull Flappin Shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
Yes, the talent comes first and foremost.  However, the Cards paid him and marketed him to the city and major league baseball in general to be a mega star. 

You both don't get it. Do either one of you honestly believe that if he was a marginal hitter, that the Cardinals would have made him into a star???

The Cards didn't make him into shit. They marketed him for their own fucking profit. It could have been Barry Bonds or Sammy Sosa and they would have done the same thing. They gave him a chance because there was a chance he could hit the ball...that's it...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:03:42 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »
Stats for 2012.

Player 1: .216/.266/.295/.561, 6 BB, 13 SO, 0 HR, 4 RBI

Player 2: .143/.290/.268/.558, 11 BB, 14 SO, 1 HR, 4 RBI

Both are former Cardinals. Take a guess

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »
Stats for 2012.

Player 1: .216/.266/.295/.561, 6 BB, 13 SO, 0 HR, 4 RBI

Player 2: .143/.290/.268/.558, 11 BB, 14 SO, 1 HR, 4 RBI

Both are former Cardinals. Take a guess

I'm going with Albert Pujols and.....I have no clue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
Watched a good bit of the Cubs and Phillies yesterday. I was a captive audience visiting a relative in the hospital.  Matt Garza looked damn good and had complete command over the Phillies.

And Hudson is back with the Bravos.  Yes!!!  In other news, AU1's Baltimore Gloryholes are playing some serious ball so far. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
I'm going with Albert Pujols and.....I have no clue.

You're right for number 1.

Number 2 is Brendan Ryan, batting 9 for the Mariners.  Shocking that Ryan as a higher On Base percentage than Pujols.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
You're right for number 1.

Number 2 is Brendan Ryan, batting 9 for the Mariners.  Shocking that Ryan as a higher On Base percentage than Pujols.

No question.  But you do expect Pooholes to adjust. Right now, I don't imagine the LA fans are real pleased with Albert.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
No question.  But you do expect Pooholes to adjust. Right now, I don't imagine the LA fans are real pleased with Albert.

I think he's pressing, and the media in LA isn't as forgiving as the media in St Louis.  He also had a manager in STL that would shield him from a good bit of that.

You could say the whole new pitchers in the AL thing, but he absolutely owned Derrick Lowe in the past, and Lowe made him look stupid.

But if I were an Angels fan, I'm not sure I would expect the 30HR-.300BA-100RBI line that we're used to.  Maybe a 20-.280-85 line might be more in line.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
I think he's pressing, and the media in LA isn't as forgiving as the media in St Louis.  He also had a manager in STL that would shield him from a good bit of that.

You could say the whole new pitchers in the AL thing, but he absolutely owned Derrick Lowe in the past, and Lowe made him look stupid.

But if I were an Angels fan, I'm not sure I would expect the 30HR-.300BA-100RBI line that we're used to.  Maybe a 20-.280-85 line might be more in line.

Werd.  In St. Louwee he proved many times over he was possibly the best in the game.  You guys knew any kind of "slump" wasn't going to last.  In LA, they paid out the ass for him and almost 25 games in, he hasn't hit his weight. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
Werd.  In St. Louwee he proved many times over he was possibly the best in the game.  You guys knew any kind of "slump" wasn't going to last.  In LA, they paid out the ass for him and almost 25 games in, he hasn't hit his weight.

Who would have thought that of the team in 2006 that won the world series, the only player that would for sure be a life time Cardinal would have been Yadier Molina.  With Wainwright being a possible lifetime Cardinal, too (and I still can't believe the Braves traded him).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
Who would have thought that of the team in 2006 that won the world series, the only player that would for sure be a life time Cardinal would have been Yadier Molina.  With Wainwright being a possible lifetime Cardinal, too (and I still can't believe the Braves traded him).

We were just making room, hoping we would eventually land Livan Hernandez. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
We were just making room, hoping we would eventually land Livan Hernandez.

Have the Braves retired Glavine, Smoltz, or Maddux's number yet?  I assume Larry's number will be retired at the end of the year.

I loved watching Maddux pitch.  Proof you don't have to have a rocket for an arm to have success, it's all about pitch location and selection.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »
Have the Braves retired Glavine, Smoltz, or Maddux's number yet?  I assume Larry's number will be retired at the end of the year.

I loved watching Maddux pitch.  Proof you don't have to have a rocket for an arm to have success, it's all about pitch location and selection.

Don't quote me on that but I think they have retired them.  Pitching is what I did into college so I get into watching different styles of pitching and how they approach batters etc.  Maddux was incredible and probably fits in the thread about "If you can ball.."  Don't care how many times I watched him, I still couldn't grasp that hitters couldn't touch this guy.  Yeah, he developed an "out pitch" that tailed back across the plate to left hand hitters....but the guy never looked like he was throwing over 80 m.p.h.  I read one time where he said he knew where every hitter wanted it....and he'd give it to them....but juuuust a little off of where they wanted it.  Guy likes it low and inside, so I'm gonna' throw it low and inside...with just enough cut on it to make him beat it into the ground for a weak roller to second.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions