Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Trayvon

JR4AU

Re: Trayvon
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »
Well, my view is that it's really not my responsibility.  While it's nice for neighbors to look out for my property, I don't expect them to do so.  It's not their property, and not their responsibility.

Aside from that, I'm not putting my life on the line for my own property much less someone else's.  If a person looks suspicious, sure, I'll call the cops and watch the person.  If the person is walking away, sure, I might try to keep an eye on them and even follow them, so long as I am armed or otherwise do not feel in danger.  If I see that person try to steal something, or look as if they are about to steal or commit a B&E, sure, I would likely address them, especially if I am armed.

But once I see that the person notices me, starts approaching me, and reaches for his waist band?  I'm not going to continue playing Joe Friday just to protect someone else's property.  No one's property is worth putting my life in danger.

I'd prefer to not end up like these people:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/06/us-florida-deputy-idUSTRE8251TL20120306

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/01/police-search-for-robbers-who-killed-man.html

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-02-10/news/chi-at-least-2-shot-in-noble-square-neighborhood-20120209_1_foil-car-theft-restaurant-shot

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/07/man-who-tried-to-prevent-pumpkin-theft-dies

That type thinking is what has made Americans and America weak.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
That type thinking is what has made Americans and America weak.

It's also the type of thinking that has resulted in people's deaths because they wanted to be a superhero and stop a pumpkin theft.

Say what you will, but times have changed; people don't just roll over and give up when Barney Fife tells them to stop what they're doing.  If I'm in a position to do something with little chance of danger to myself, then I will.  But if I'm in a situation where I know or have reason to believe my safety is in danger, then I'm not going to gamble my own life just to save someone's property that they likely have insured against theft anyhow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »
It's also the type of thinking that has resulted in people's deaths because they wanted to be a superhero and stop a pumpkin theft.

Say what you will, but times have changed; people don't just roll over and give up when Barney Fife tells them to stop what they're doing.  If I'm in a position to do something with little chance of danger to myself, then I will.  But if I'm in a situation where I know or have reason to believe my safety is in danger, then I'm not going to gamble my own life just to save someone's property that they likely have insured against theft anyhow.

I don't disagree with that.  It's the "it's not my responsibility" type thinking with regard to community safety and security.   I wouldn't trade my life, or put it in danger, not knowingly anyway, over property, mine or anybody's.   However, I think people, like Zimmerman, who do take an interest, and responsibility for their community are to be commended.  Are they all the type we'd want doing it?  Maybe not.  But overall, the world would be a better place if we all chipped in to "watch over" our communities. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
I don't disagree with that.  It's the "it's not my responsibility" type thinking with regard to community safety and security.   I wouldn't trade my life, or put it in danger, not knowingly anyway, over property, mine or anybody's.   However, I think people, like Zimmerman, who do take an interest, and responsibility for their community are to be commended.  Are they all the type we'd want doing it?  Maybe not.  But overall, the world would be a better place if we all chipped in to "watch over" our communities.

And chipped in to improve our communities. 

Everyone hates home owner's associations because of the fees and where the money goes.  But if everyone chipped in to keep their neighborhood and community respectable, we wouldn't need them. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

« Reply #284 on: April 10, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

I personally agree with that, but with that being said, I still don't expect anyone to watch over my property.  While it's the nice thing to do, and such actions would make our communities better places, it's not anyone else's responsibility to safeguard my property or my life.  I think there's a difference between what one thinks they should do out of kindness/morality/community betterment, and what one thinks they must do out of self-preservation.

In theory, if we all took responsibility for our own stuff, then the community would be "watched over."  It's when one person fails to take responsibility for their own stuff that we then require someone to watch over them.  In reality, we can't be with our property at all times, and so this is why neighbors should watch out for each other to a reasonable degree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
I personally agree with that, but with that being said, I still don't expect anyone to watch over my property.  While it's the nice thing to do, and such actions would make our communities better places, it's not anyone else's responsibility to safeguard my property or my life.  I think there's a difference between what one thinks they should do out of kindness/morality/community betterment, and what one thinks they must do out of self-preservation.

In theory, if we all took responsibility for our own stuff, then the community would be "watched over."  It's when one person fails to take responsibility for their own stuff that we then require someone to watch over them.  In reality, we can't be with our property at all times, and so this is why neighbors should watch out for each other to a reasonable degree.

Agree.  You have no responsibility to keep my stuff safe, and vice versa.  The "it's not my responsibility" sounds more like "I don't want to get involved" but there is no actual responsibility.  Just that in the good ol' days people were a bit more neighborly.  And yes, first and foremost, watching over your own shit rather than expecting the government to, that's the best route.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:29:04 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
Agree.  You have no responsibility to keep my stuff safe, and vice versa.  The "it's not my responsibility" sounds more like "I don't want to get involved" but there is no actual responsibility.  Just that in the good ol' days people were a bit more neighborly.  And yes, first and foremost, watching over your own shit rather than expecting the government to, that's the best route.

Tell me another cool story grandpawwww
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2012, 02:55:35 PM »

Pumpkins are one thing, but you do have an obligation to yourself and your community.  That's what really infuriates me about this whole thing.  No...  It's not your responsibility, but I do expect my fellow neighbors to look out for me, my family and my stuff to a reasonable extent if not as much as I would and do for them.  Nobody is expecting anyone to be a hero.  As far as this little chance of danger position, you never know if the other person is armed, which is why you always enter these situations assuming they have a weapon.  No, I wouldn't expect anyone to gamble on their life to protect some property, but appropriate action is expected.  Calling the police isn't always enough. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
Pumpkins are one thing, but you do have an obligation to yourself and your community.  That's what really infuriates me about this whole thing.  No...  It's not your responsibility, but I do expect my fellow neighbors to look out for me, my family and my stuff to a reasonable extent if not as much as I would and do for them.  Nobody is expecting anyone to be a hero.  As far as this little chance of danger position, you never know if the other person is armed, which is why you always enter these situations assuming they have a weapon.  No, I wouldn't expect anyone to gamble on their life to protect some property, but appropriate action is expected.  Calling the police isn't always enough.

Could have saved a lot of typing and just posted - "It's because you're a pussy VV"

What do you expect? The guy sucks dick and brags that he is good at it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »
Could have saved a lot of typing and just posted - "It's because you're a pussy VV"

What do you expect? The guy sucks dick and brags that he is good at it.

Yeah, but it's not just VV.  A lot of the yutes from these newer generations tend to be more apathetic to this, among other traditional behaviors and values.  You know what I mean...  The downbreeding of society stuff. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Vandy Vol

« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
Yeah, but it's not just VV.  A lot of the yutes from these newer generations tend to be more apathetic to this, among other traditional behaviors and values.  You know what I mean...  The downbreeding of society stuff.

You can't have downbreeding if there is no breeding.  That's why gay sex is the best sex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »
VV = Shitty neighbor!

I can't wait for these type of people to go out of town and a moving truck backs p to their house. I mean why do I give a shit. It's all insured!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GarMan

« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
I can't wait for these type of people to go out of town and a moving truck backs p to their house. I mean why do I give a shit. It's all insured!

That's exactly it.  Then, after everyone's insurance rates go up, these guys are the ones who'll bitch the loudest.   :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »
VV = Shitty neighbor!

But I give more blow jobs than your current neighbor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2012, 03:17:38 PM »
Zimmerman to be charged.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120410/US.Neighborhood.Watch/

A law enforcement official says that charges are being filed in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

The official with knowledge of the investigation says a prosecutor will announce charges against George Zimmerman on Wednesday at 6 p.m. Zimmerman's arrest is also expected soon.

The official didn't know the charge and spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to release the information. The official said that authorities know where Zimmerman is.

Zimmerman has asserted since the Feb. 26 killing that he shot the 17-year-old in self-defense after the two fought. The case has sparked protests and calls for Zimmerman's arrest.

A factor in the pace of the probe has been Florida's so-called stand your ground law, which gives people wide latitude to claim self-defense in a killing and other altercations.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »
Isn't this expected?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
From the same article.....

The man who shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin is said to be losing weight and suffering from high levels of stress from the intense public scrutiny he is under, his former lawyers said. Meanwhile, a special prosecutor said she will soon make an announcement in the case and the nation's attorney general vowed separately to take action if evidence warrants it.

"He is largely alone. You might even say he is emotionally crippled by virtue of the pressure of this case," said Hal Uhrig, a former lawyer for George Zimmerman. The protests and the profound isolation of going into hiding may have pushed him "a little bit over the edge," said Uhrig and his colleague, Craig Sonner.

The two attorneys announced Tuesday they no longer were representing the neighborhood watch volunteer because they haven't heard from him since Sunday.

"As of the last couple days, he has not returned phone calls, text messages or emails," Sonner said. "He's gone on his own. I'm not sure what he's doing or who he's talking to. I cannot go forward speaking to the public about George Zimmerman and this case as representing him because I've lost contact with him."

The attorneys said that, against their advice, Zimmerman contacted special prosecutor Angela Corey, who will decide if he should face charges, but prosecutors in her office refused to talk to him without his lawyers present.

"To handle it this way, suggests that he may not be in complete control of what's going on. We're concerned for his emotional and physical safety," Uhrig said.

Zimmerman is either going to jail for murder, or he's going to live the rest of his life as a rich man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2012, 03:30:20 PM »
Isn't this expected?

I don't know that it was or wasn't.  I'd be curious to know if there's more evidence that's come to light, ie forensics that dispute Zimmerman's account.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »
I don't know that it was or wasn't.  I'd be curious to know if there's more evidence that's come to light, ie forensics that dispute Zimmerman's account.

Although I know the "system" isn't 100%, I just can't bring myself to believe they would charge him without enough evidence to convict.  I think it has to be forensics.  If they are going to charge based off the same evidence, when the regular DA wouldn't, it's going to turn into a shit storm if they lose.  And, as I said, Zimmerman will sue the fuck out of the state of Florida.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »

He was going to be charged regardless of what was found. Now they may try and let this die down over the course of the next couple of months (by then Jessie-Rev al-Black panthers) would have move on to something else and this won’t be important anymore (to them).

Have those three ever come to the defense of any other people besides blacks? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'