Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Antique Mayonnasie mixer

JR4AU

Antique Mayonnasie mixer
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
In getting ready for the estate sale at my grandmother's house I found this:

The Wesson Oil company gave these away in the 30s.  I love mayo, and I like it tart/lemony.  Also like the thought of herbed or flavored mayo.  So many of the ones at the store are sweet.  Duke's is good, but making my own is fun.  Recipe right on the side of the "device".  Yeah, I got a Cuisineart, but the clean up on this thing is actually easier, and makes up for the work put in making it, which is fun.     

1 whole egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice or white vinegar
1 teaspoon each of salt, sugar, mustard (prepared mustard, not dry mustard)
dash of pepper
1 pint Wesson Oil

Put all ingredients but oil in the mixer, put the top on.  Drizzle in the oil slowly at first, while plunging the emulsifier up and down.  Once it starts to thicken, you can add the oil faster.  Yum yum!  Of course you can play with the recipe to suit your tastes.  One word of caution, careful with the salt, it's very easy to over salt it.  My first batch "needed salt" after the initial mix, then suddenly was too salty.  Been quite a while since I made my own mayo, but I'm always pleased when I get it just right.  You can't buy it like that.

In googling up info on this mayo mixer, and looking in my cookbooks, I found most mayo recipes these days call for 2 egg yolks.  You'll get a thicker mixture if you use just yolks, more creamy and smooth if you use a whole egg.  Apparently "back in the day" mayo was more a salad/greens dressing, and they say in the UK it is still exclusively a salad dressing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Antique Mayonnasie mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »
I'll mix some mayo on your forehead.  :gig:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
I'll mix some mayo on your forehead.  :gig:

Hit VV up. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
Hit VV up.

I don't take it on my forehead.  If it's not going into my mouth, then it's a fucking waste.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin