Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Interesting Court Case?

Interesting Court Case?
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/oregon-hospital-sued-wrong-prenatal-syndrome-diagnosis-15835294 

Gist of the video - A pregnant girl was told that her baby did not have down syndrome after a test was run by a doctor to determine the health of the baby.  If the baby did have down syndrome, they would have aborted it.  They delivered the baby, and it indeed had down syndrome.  So they sued the hospital, and today, it was announced that they would be awarded 2.9 million dollars (this part's not in the video). 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: Interesting Court Case?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/oregon-hospital-sued-wrong-prenatal-syndrome-diagnosis-15835294 

Gist of the video - A pregnant girl was told that her baby did not have down syndrome after a test was run by a doctor to determine the health of the baby.  If the baby did have down syndrome, they would have aborted it.  They delivered the baby, and it indeed had down syndrome.  So they sued the hospital, and today, it was announced that they would be awarded 2.9 million dollars (this part's not in the video).
That's absolutely pathetic and disgusting... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
I never get how folks put so much faith in men. Only one man was described as perfect. Yet we a have been convinced that we are so smart as a species that mistakes cannot happen without suing.

The fact that it is OK to kill the baby if you don't like what you were given is another disgusting act too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
I'm curious why the court didn't rule that the parents could put the baby up for adoption. 

If they really didn't want the kid, then why are they being awarded money to take care of it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »
Just repulsive. Ugh.  Damn. 

Let's seeee......$2,900,000.00 X 45% = $1,305,000.00 plus costs of $57,000.00....okay, that comes to....Oh, don't mind me.  I'm just doing some cipherin' on my own....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
Many years ago, my wife's sister died from early onset Pompe disease. When a child is born with it, it is pretty much a guarantee that the child won't live to their first birthday. If they make it to their first, they are not going to make it much longer thereafter. My wife's sister died the day after Christmas at around 8 months old.

The day we found out that a miscarriage took place with our own child, we were at the hospital having an amneocentesis done to see if our child had Pompe. Since one of my in-laws obviously carries the gene, that means my wife does as well. We had genetic testing done on ourselves, and the probability of our child having Pompe was very low, but we wanted to be sure as we could be, statistically speaking. If the baby tested positive, we would have aborted. After seeing what her baby sister went through for 8 months, my wife couldn't go through it again. After researching, I didn't want my child going through it.

A few things, though. First, down syndrome is a disease where you can still live for a lengthy amount of time. It's not a disease where, best case scenario, you have a little over a year to live. Second, if the test had been wrong and my wife gave birth to a child with Pompe, or had we aborted a perfectly healthy baby because the test came back positive, it's hard to say how I would react. One one hand, I would be fucking furious. On the other hand, (our doctor, at least) warned us that the amneocentesis may not be 100% accurate, especially if a gene mutated some point between the procedure and birth. It is as close to 100% as a test can be, but nothing is ever 100%. It was going to be our decision what we did. If the doctor of the lady in the video was halfway decent, he probably would have counseled his patient such as our doctor did on the risks, options, etc. Unless the test came back positive, and this doctor can't read or something and told them it said negative on the paperwork, then I just really don't see how the doctor lost. Maybe there was some sort of malpractice, but it sounds like an over-sympathetic jury.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:12:39 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »

A few things, though. First, down syndrome is a disease where you can still live for a lengthy amount of time. It's not a disease where, best case scenario, you have a little over a year to live.

My comment was directly related to this. I could not see having a child in the situation you described.
Tough call.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
My comment was directly related to this. I could not see having a child in the situation you described.
Tough call.
Don't sweat it, I knew what you meant. I wish the story gave a little more info on how exactly the doctor was negligent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler