Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

AUTiger1: Prepare Your Anus

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
AUTiger1: Prepare Your Anus
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/with_talent_and_money_blue_jays_796LuKqhKbUBs1IzOyGrHK

Blue Jays quietly becoming threat to Yankees
Yankees Blog

Posted: 3:14 AM, March 15, 2012

DUNEDIN, Fla. — Imagine what the Rays would look like with the finances to keep all of their best players.

Now stop imagining. Because it is happening. Unfortunately for the Rays, it is not in Tampa Bay. Heck, it is not even in this country.

The Blue Jays, methodically, have assembled a talent base at both the major and minor league levels that has them poised to turn the AL East into a Fearsome Foursome. That unsettles no one more than what had been the Terrific Trio of New York, Boston and Tampa. As Yankees GM Brian Cashman said, “It is not good for anyone going up against them.”

In a way, this is about well-kept secrets. For example, do you know that the Blue Jays have averaged 83 wins over the last six years, finishing above .500 in five of them? Doesn’t sound like much, except remember they have amassed those totals playing 18 games annually against each of the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays. That is one-third of an entire schedule.

You know how hard it is to even win 81 games like the Jays did last year when three teams in your division win at least 90? Or win 85 when three others win at least 89 as occurred in 2010? It is like a mathematical trick or — more aptly — symbolic of just how good Toronto has become.

Here is another thing you might not know: Toronto’s owner, Rogers Communication, just might be the majors’ richest ownership. Thus the money is there to take the payroll to places the Rays could never dream about; keep the homegrown elites that ultimately flee Tampa. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos used the Cubs, Red Sox and Angels as examples of teams he thought Toronto could be equivalent to in creating “a top third payroll” once the Jays become serial contenders.

“That isn’t a guess, that’s a fact,” Anthopoulos said. “It’s a fact because we have done it before.”

Indeed they have. In the four years from 1992-95, the Jays had a top-three payroll, including leading the majors in 1993 and 1995. Not coincidentally, the Jays became the first team to draw more than four million in home attendance in 1991 and did so again in 1992 and ’93, which were both championship seasons. And Anthopoulos believes if the Jays build it (a title contender) they (the fans) will come again and so will monster TV ratings.

“We have a whole country to draw from,” Anthopoulos said. “The fan base is 30 million across Canada.”

All that is missing is the hard part: Climb from a good team to a superb one. Nothing less will thrive within the AL East. If they were in any NL division, for example, the Jays might be the favorites. But they could still be fourth best in the AL East and yet no worse than the eighth- or ninth-best team in the sport.

“This is not a long-term project anymore,” Cashman said. “They are knocking on the door. It is undeniable that they are going to win and win for a while. They are reaping the benefits of great scouting, patience and doing things right.”

Or as Alex Rodriguez said, “They aren’t a secret anymore.”

Anthopoulos became GM in October 2009. His mandate was to pursue upper-echelon talent, “because in the AL East you either shoot for the moon or it is a waste of time,” Anthopoulos said. So he hired just about more scouts than any team. He accumulated high draft picks. He was willing to take chances on skilled players with reputation problems elsewhere such as Yunel Escobar, Brett Lawrie and Colby Rasmus. And, yes, he benefitted from the ascension of Jose Bautista from utilityman to superstar, plus a strong group of youngsters left behind by predecessor, J.P. Ricciardi, now a Mets executive.

Toronto is viewed as having a top-three farm system with one scout calling the Jays’ 2011 Double-A team the best he had ever seen. The Jays have formulated “a lineup without an easy out,” Mark Teixeira said.

However, they still have youth around the diamond and particularly in the rotation. The “volatility” of youth that Anthopoulos depicts is the caution flag to predicting a playoff spot. “But we have decided to go with war with talent, and this is the best I have ever felt about our talent.”

Anthopoulos is not alone. The consensus is the Jays have become a looming force — with money in their wallet. If the Yankees thought the Rays were trouble, just wait.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:54:23 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: AUTiger1: Prepare Your Anus
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
Angelos could take some notes here.....   :sad:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Angelos could take some notes here.....   :sad:
By the way, I don't know if I ever told you this, but I grew up a quasi-Orioles fan.

I was born in Maryland, and we moved back there from when I was in 2nd through 4th grade. During Cal Ripkin Jr.'s peak. Went to a bunch of games when I was a kid. Probably have been to more Orioles games than any other, including the Braves.

That being said, they are the asshole of the AL East. :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:27:53 AM »
By the way, I don't know if I ever told you this, but I grew up a quasi-Orioles fan.

I was born in Maryland, and we moved back there from when I was in 2nd through 4th grade. During Cal Ripkin Jr.'s peak. Went to a bunch of games when I was a kid. Probably have been to more Orioles games than any other, including the Braves.

That being said, they are the asshole of the AL East. :)

I was reading that and thinking, Chizad is a pretty good guy, but that last comment........If I ever meet you IRL, I am going to kick you in the nuts. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
I was reading that and thinking, Chizad is a pretty good guy, but that last comment........If I ever meet you IRL, I am going to kick you in the nuts.

That would make sense. Since the O's are somewhat the Rick Flair of that division. Might as well poke him in the eyes while you're at it....  :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
That would make sense. Since the O's are somewhat the Rick Flair of that division. Might as well poke him in the eyes while you're at it....  :poke:

Well I was thinking that I would kick him in the nuts, holler out "WHHHOOOOOOOO" and strut around for a minute or two afterwards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
Well I was thinking that I would kick him in the nuts, holler out "WHHHOOOOOOOO" and strut around for a minute or two afterwards.

Love that classic Flair shit. He also held the belt for the longest and won the matches, so I don't guess it would be a bad thing to be him if you are the O's.

Dirtiest player in the game babbeyyyy! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Seriously though, the Bravos seem to be trying to take the title of the best suck ass team in MLB this year if Spring Ball is any indicator. Good gosh they are awful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »
Love that classic Flair shit. He also held the belt for the longest and won the matches, so I don't guess it would be a bad thing to be him if you are the O's.

Dirtiest player in the game babbeyyyy! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Seriously though, the Bravos seem to be trying to take the title of the best suck ass team in MLB this year if Spring Ball is any indicator. Good gosh they are awful.

Used to love some Flair when I was a kid.  WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! To be the man, you have to beat the man!  WHOOOOOOO!

I haven't kept up that much, just checked some box scores.  I haven't really had any hope since they fucked up in the late 90's and quit trying to get quality pitching and started purchasing quality hitting that never panned out.  Good pitching beats good hitting anyday.   
The biggest mistake they made was not resigning Mussina and building a young staff around him.  But that is the way some owners want to run it.  No one goes to the park to see good pitching anymore, they go for the longball.   Letting Davey Johnson go was a mistake as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »
Told this one before but I don't care. My BIL stories are riveting no matter how many times you hear them.  Went to the matches one night down here many years ago.  My wife's grandad was a rasslin' junkie.  Ringside seats at the Houston County Farm Center every Saturday night.  He loved it if we would go with him so every now and then, we'd hop in and hit the matches.  This particular night, Ric Flair was battling it out with Austin Idol.

Me and the BIL are standing in the aisle where the bad guys head to the ring.  No barriers back then, they just walked between the seats.  During the match, Flair jumps out of the ring and acts like he's done and headed back to the locker room.  He stops right beside us and is hollering back at Idol and the ref.  BIL tells Flair, "Get back in the ring you pussy."  And quickly sits down.  Flair turns around slowly and is face to face with me.  He smiles and says, "I KNOW...you ain't talkin' to me, darlin'."

No sir, Mr. Flair.  It was like..other people or something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."