Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Judge Delays Updyke Trial

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Judge Delays Updyke Trial
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:07:50 AM »
http://www2.oanow.com/news/2012/feb/27/toomers-oaks-judge-postpones-updyke-trial-ar-3309701/

Toomer's Oaks: Judge delays Updyke trial
Trial scheduled to begin next month pushed back; rescheduling hearing set for March 14

The judge in the case of the man accused of poisoning the Toomer’s Oaks has granted a defense motion to delay the trial, which was scheduled to begin in March.

On Friday, Lee County Circuit Court Judge Jacob A. Walker III granted a motion for continuance by Harvey A. Updyke Jr.’s attorneys, who say they need more time to prepare expert witnesses for the trial. Prosecutors also said they could use more time to finish gathering evidence. Walker scheduled a hearing for March 14 to discuss rescheduling the trial.

Walker also denied a second motion by the defense to recuse himself over his ties to Auburn University. The defense says a reasonable person could believe Walker is biased because he is an AU fan who has visited the trees on game days.

Walker, who agues he can remain impartial despite being a fan, denied the motion, saying Updyke’s attorneys failed to show evidence that he showed partiality toward the university while presiding over the case.

Updyke, 63, pleaded not guilty to multiple counts of felony criminal mischief, misdemeanor desecration of a venerated object and felony unlawful damage, vandalism or theft of property from a farm animal or crop facility in connection with the alleged poisoning of the oaks at the edge of AU’s campus with Spike 80DF in 2010.

Motions by the defense to change the trial’s location, dismiss the desecration of a venerated object charges and reduce the felony charges to misdemeanors remain pending.

Look for the Finebaum and Bammer spin machines to continue the barrage to make this just go away without any trial.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Six

• My Linktree
Re: Judge Delays Updyke Trial
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »
"Walker also denied a second motion by the defense to recuse himself over his ties to Auburn University. The defense says a reasonable person could believe Walker is biased because he is an AU fan who has visited the trees on game days.

Walker, who agues he can remain impartial despite being a fan, denied the motion, saying Updyke’s attorneys failed to show evidence that he showed partiality toward the university while presiding over the case."

See Alabama fans KNOW they would never be able to remain impartial when it came to a matter against "Tha Unaversitah" and thereby assume no one else could in a similar situation with another school/team.

Bammers make me want to puke.  :puke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
Walker is a tough judge for the most part. I sat on one of his juries last summer for a murder case. He didn't smile, didn't small talk. He seemed real blunt and to the point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
So wait a minute here. 

A judge should remove himself from a case because he has visited Toomer's Corner and therefore can't be impartial, but the professionalism and integrity of Alabama grad and Auburn beatwriter Evan Woodbery is above reproach?  He can't be questioned? It's unreasonable for Auburn fans to assume that he can't contain his ingrained bias?

Fucked up world. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »
Walker is a tough judge for the most part. I sat on one of his juries last summer for a murder case. He didn't smile, didn't small talk. He seemed real blunt and to the point.

Jake Walker was in my graduation class in High school. He was a little guy who was smart but got picked on.

I always knew he would be in a postion to get even with alot of mofo's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
Jake Walker was in my graduation class in High school. He was a little guy who was smart but got picked on.

I always knew he would be in a postion to get even with alot of mofo's.

Did he have a sweet assed car?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »

He drove a Pacer. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »
It was keen!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
So wait a minute here. 

A judge should remove himself from a case because he has visited Toomer's Corner and therefore can't be impartial, but the professionalism and integrity of Alabama grad and Auburn beatwriter Evan Woodbery is above reproach?  He can't be questioned? It's unreasonable for Auburn fans to assume that he can't contain his ingrained bias?

Fucked up world.

Media do what they want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »

Didn’t need one, while guys like me we out doing stuff he was home studying. That’s why he a judge now and I work in an office.

But my car is still super keener this his.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »

But my car is still super keener this his.

Atta Boy!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »

Sometimes to find your (Inner Keen) you have to go a different direction than everybody else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions