Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Alabama Hot Brown

JR4AU

Alabama Hot Brown
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
There used to be a place over in Liberty Park, right under 459 that served this, and this appatizer was OFF THE HOOK!  I got the recipe some years ago when the B'ham News used to publish the recipes of some local faves from time to time.  If this isn't the exact recipe, it's too close to worry about, and well worth the time it takes. 

For the Grits:

8c Chicken Stock
2c Stone Ground Grits
3Tbl Butter
1c Smoked Cheddar (Shredded) or White Cheddar will work
6 Slices of your favorite bacon, cook crisp, 3 slices crumbled
salt/pepper
Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Buttermilk

Toppings:

Smoked Turkey, thin sliced
Tomato of your choosing, sliced

For the Cheese Sauce:

2Tbl Butter
2Tbl Flour
1c Milk
1c White Cheddar, shredded
6oz can (more or less to your taste) jalapeno, chopped

Sauce method:

Make a roux with first 2 ingredients, add the next three, and cook until melted, stirring.  I would use a double boiler after making the roux.  (There are other ways to get to the end product, or you could buy a decent cheese sauce and add the jalapeno)  The published recipe I found called for Land o' Lakes easy melt cheese, but I'm not buying that the restaurant used that.   

Grits Method:

Cook grits in chicken stock until done.  Add butter, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and continue cooking until cheese melts, stirring.  Pour in a greased sheet pan, and chill.  The sheet pan needs to be a size that will allow the grits to set up about an inch thick.  When they set up, cut in to squares, about 3"x3" give or take.  Dredge in buttermilk and bread crumbs, and deep fry at 350 for about 6 minutes, until golden brown. 

To serve:

Top grits plank with smoked turkey, and cheese sauce, then add slice or two of tomato, and 2 to three slices of bacon. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions