• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
More Bama Spin
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/georgia_signee_says_he_felt_aw.html

Georgia signee says he felt "awkward" around Nick Saban, laughed at Gene Chizik
Published: Monday, April 02, 2012, 12:12 PM
By Matt Scalici, al.com

Hamilton, Georgia defensive end Jordan Jenkins was one of the top targets for both Alabama head coach Nick Saban and Auburn's Gene Chizik in the 2012 recruiting cycle, but the Crimson Tide and Tigers weren't able to woo Jenkins away from the home-state Georgia Bulldogs.

According to an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Jenkins said that part of what kept him from committing to the Tide was a lack of personal connection with Saban.

"I was a lot closer to Coach (Kirby) Smart than I was with Coach Saban," Jenkins told the AJC's Micheal Carvell. "When Coach Saban is around a bunch of football players, he's more open than he is when it's just you and your family. Coach Saban is a great coach but he's a quiet guy. It sometimes felt awkward being around him."

Jenkins said that his family's lack of confidence in the long-term stability of the Tide coaching staff also played a role in his decision.

"My mom didn't know ... she was always uncertain how long coach Sal Sunseri and coach Kirby Smart were going to be at Alabama. And then, a few days after [I committed], Coach Sal was gone to Tennessee."

Jenkins also commented on Auburn head coach Gene Chizik's recruiting tactics, saying he found them hard to take seriously.

"When coach Gene Chizik was comparing Auburn and Alabama, he put up a slide that showed they had more wins, more this and that ... then he started talking about Florida and how Will Muschamp follows in his shoes. I started busting out laughing. He said 'When I was at Auburn the first time [as an assistant] and after I left, Muschamp came here. Then I was at Texas and after I left, Muschamp came there.' He went on and on. He said 'Muschamp just follows in my footsteps' and it was hilarious the way he said it."

Jenkins was rated the top player in the state of Georgia in 2012 according to 247Sports.

Am I paranoid, or is this spun so that it looks like he's saying he is intimidated by Saban's greatness and was laughing at what a clownish fool Chizik is?

They left out this quote from the original interview:
She never really got a vibe or real ‘family feel’ for Coach Saban.

Also, this is the full context of the Chizik part:
What was the funniest thing a college coach said to you?This wasn’t meant to be as insulting as it sounds. When coach Gene Chizik was comparing Auburn and Alabama, he put up a slide that showed they had more wins, more this and that … then he started talking about Florida and how Will Muschamp follows in his shoes. I started busting out laughing. He said ‘When I was at Auburn the first time [as an assistant] and after I left, Muschamp came here. Then I was at Texas and after I left, Muschamp came there.’ He went on and on. He said ‘Muschamp just follows in my footsteps’ and it was hilarious the way he said it.”

Sounds to me like he wasn't saying that any of those things were ridiculous recruiting tactics, but rather that he was joking with the kid about Muschamp following him everywhere he goes (which is true). As for the "more wins than Alabama", I don't see what's so funny about that. I'm sure he wasn't throwing false facts up there. Maybe he was presenting this in a humorous way, but it doesn't sound at all like he's saying he was laughing at how ridiculous the notion is that Auburn has "more wins, more this and that", as the al.com writer seems to be spinning it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:57:30 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
Re: More Bama Spin
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
In his defense, most of the quotes and facts were dug up by the Stipe Mutts over at the UGA homer paper, AJC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
Another part Matt conveniently left out.

Which coach not from UGA was the nicest? “Coach Derek Dooley and Coach Gene Chizik. Coach Dooley was incredibly nice. My mom really loved Coach Dooley. I hated to tell him that I wasn’t coming to Tennessee.”
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:01:17 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »
Which coach not from UGA was the nicest?

The question bothers me the most. Not from UGA???? Fuck him. Uggers think way more of themselves than anyone else does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
The question bothers me the most. Not from UGA???? Fuck him. Uggers think way more of themselves than anyone else does.
Meh. I mean, the kid picked UGA. Of course he's going to say he liked those coaches the best. I think that was a fair question.

I don't have a problem with the AJC article at all. It's the way the al.com article deconstructed it and took quotes out of context to make it look like he was laught "at" Chizik, and was intimidated by Saban.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
Meh. I mean, the kid picked UGA. Of course he's going to say he liked those coaches the best. I think that was a fair question.

I don't have a problem with the AJC article at all. It's the way the al.com article deconstructed it and took quotes out of context to make it look like he was laught "at" Chizik, and was intimidated by Saban.

I know they were his favorite if he picked them, its just the constant chest beating them seem to want to do. They like to remind themselves how important they think they are. AJC and AL.com - I really don't know why I am acting surpised.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
Fuck this guy.

I tweeted about it and he responded.

@MattScalici
Georgia signee says he felt "awkward" around Nick Saban, laughed at Gene Chizik http://bit.ly/HPYc0H

‏ @AUChizad
@MattScalici spins to imply the kid is intimidated by Saban's greatness and laughing at Chizik's foolishness. Taking the @ajc out of context

@MattScalici
@AUChizad do you think he was laughing WITH Chizik or AT him based on the AJC's quote? To me, it's pretty clear.

@AUChizad
@MattScalici You left out "This wasn’t meant to be as insulting as it sounds", & the context was in response to "Who was the funniest coach"

@AUChizad
@MattScalici Other context you left out: Which coach not from UGA was the nicest? Dooley & Chizik. Also not getting "family feel" from Saban
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
@MattScalici
@AUChizad the question was "what's the funniest thing a college coach said to you", not "who was the funniest coach"

Am I wrong here, or should I continue the crusade, 140 characters at a time?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »

Well I think we all know the guy is not going to admit being wrong but it sure is funny to watch
him scramble a little bit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
@AUChizad
@MattScalici So you assume the @ajc was asking "Who was the biggest baffoon"? Why didn't you mention him saying Chizik was the nicest?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
@MattScalici
@AUChizad story is about why he DIDN'T choose Alabama or Auburn. I also didn't mention the positive comments he had about Kirby Smart.
:taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
:taunt:

Yes he did.

"I was a lot closer to Coach (Kirby) Smart than I was with Coach Saban," Jenkins told the AJC's Micheal Carvell.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »

It's war.  Start calling him a motherfucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »

I like Fuckstick!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »

The direct approach.  I like it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »
FWIW..BTW....LOL....BLT....TGIF.....our local sports talk guy talked about this story yesterday and presented it just the way this sicily guy did.  So yeah, his work here is done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."