Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Size concerns?

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Size concerns?
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »
Disclaimer: I generally trust Tuberville and staff to recruit as they see fit.

That said, is anyone concerned about the size of the skill guys we're getting?  They seem a little small, presumably to give more speed in the spread, and I'd like to see some size with speed.

Thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Size concerns?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
Disclaimer: I generally trust Tuberville and staff to recruit as they see fit.

That said, is anyone concerned about the size of the skill guys we're getting?  They seem a little small, presumably to give more speed in the spread, and I'd like to see some size with speed.

Thoughts?
I would agree if we were talking DB's, but that is the prototypical spread WR.  Guys who could either a) sprint down the sidelines, beating the CB on their way to a 50yd TD or b) Catch the ball under the zone D and scat for a long gainer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
scat for a long gainer.

Look, the trainers had something different in mind when they issued cups to the players.

Something else to consider:  these little WRs are sometimes playing QB and RB in high school.  Could we be stockpiling guys that can move all over the field (think Mario Fannin)?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Look, the trainers had something different in mind when they issued cups to the players.

Something else to consider:  these little WRs are sometimes playing QB and RB in high school.  Could we be stockpiling guys that can move all over the field (think Mario Fannin)?

Nail meet hammer.  This is what I think is happening. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »

LOL...two balls, one cup.

I just keep picturing a team with several Percy Harvins and Mario Fannins.  An O with that much speed assuming they can hold onto the ball will score some serious points.  I really have no problem with this year's recruiting of short fast WR's, mainly because the current roster and incoming Freshmen are all 6' and taller.  As long as the OL and defensive recruiting doesn't slow down, I am excited about the future of Auburn Football.  
Just picture Tiny Terry's brand of offense with a great defense...I think I just got a chubby.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »
Just picture Tiny Terry's brand of offense with a great defense...I think I just got a chubby.

This scares me: Clifton Robinson, Markeith Cooper....ugh.

I want more Brown, Williams, Tate...with a little Lester thrown in for good measure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »
It's alright if they stop now.  We have a ton of WR's 6' and up on the roster already so 4-5 small, fast as hell guys are okay with me.  But, while I think the next year or two are going to be fun as shit to watch, I'm still not sold on Franklin being here 5 or more years and us still running this type offense.  I don't want to be stuck with a roster full of fast midgets.  And the Bowden recruiting jeenyus is still too fresh in my mind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
I was always told that size does'nt really matter.  Have I been lied to all these years?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »
It matters.  Trust me, it matters.

Damnit!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."