Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nashville recommendations?

JR4AU

Nashville recommendations?
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
Headed up this weekend.  Recommendations on where to eat?  Won't have a whole lot of time to get out and about, but would like to find at least one good meal.  Staying in Franklin. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Nashville recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
Headed up this weekend.  Recommendations on where to eat?  Won't have a whole lot of time to get out and about, but would like to find at least one good meal.  Staying in Franklin.

Go to Opryland. They got a great roller coaster.......
Tell'em CCTAU sent you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:13:59 PM »
Go to Opryland. They got a great roller coaster.......
Tell'em CCTAU sent you.

Is there a story behind that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »

I think it's where he and VV had their first other body experience.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »

Maggiano's.  It's a chain, but it is really good Italian food.  One of the wife and mine's favorite places to eat in Atlanta and they have a location in Nashville.  Also a superb steak for an Italian place.

If you're a fan of classic country or bluegrass music check the Ernest Tubb Record Shop.  There's the original close to the Ryman and a new one close to the Opry Mills Mall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »

Demos'.  "Steak and Spaghetti House," though they have a variety of dishes.  Their blackened chicken pasta is awesome.  Very reasonably priced considering the quality of the food and the atmosphere.  There shouldn't be a need for reservations, as your visit won't be during formal/prom/Valentine's Day, so you should be able to get in there; I would call to check though.  Very close to downtown as well in case you want to see that scene for a bit.  The restaurant was started by a guy who grew up in Birmingham, then moved to the Nashville area to open up the chain.  I think the only Alabama location they have is up in Florence; I'm not aware of any that have opened in Birmingham, which is odd considering he grew up here.

http://www.demosrestaurants.com/

If you want something more "touristy," and not more of a normal dining atmosphere, then you should check out Loveless Cafe.  Actually, regardless of its old-style country charm, if you like southern cooking at all, you should definitely check it out.  It's certainly one of the more unique places in Nashville.  The prices are slightly high, but nothing outrageous.  And the food is awesome.

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

If you want a hole in the wall place with good food that boasts a lot of (unverified) history, I would go to Rotier's.  It is near Vandy's campus, so if you want to take a look around there, you're within a block or two of the campus.  Just as a shameless plug, it is an awesome campus if you've never been; I'd suggest stopping by if you can.  Anyhow, Rotier's claims that Buffett wrote cheeseburger in paradise there, among other music-related claims to fame.  It's a good burger joint, has awesome fried pickles...nothing fancy at all, but very good overall.  It's a small place that tends to get crowded at times, so I wouldn't make it your primary choice; just something cool to check out if you have the time and don't mind heading somewhere else if it looks too crowded.

Rotier's
2413 Elliston Pl
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: 615-327-9892

Monell's is probably one of the most famous restaurants in Nashville, but it may not be your cup of tea for two reasons:  1) If you're visiting Nashville from Franklin, Monell's is on the north side of Nashville, and thus is a little bit further of a drive; not too much (only a handful of miles), but its location is worth considering if you'd prefer to eat at some other place that is closer to downtown.  2) It's a restaurant where they seat you at large tables with other people, so it's a unique atmosphere.  Country cooking, and although I've never been there, my understanding is that you get courses upon courses of whatever is on their menu that day.  I've heard the food is always good, but you don't get a menu from which to choose your dish, as they just bring out what they're serving.  The website has their menu by days of the week.

http://www.monellstn.com/ndininginfo.html

Pancake Pantry may be something that you want to do as a tourist, but in my opinion, it's overrated.  The lines are always absurdly long in the morning, and the food's not worth it for the wait.  Nothing is wrong with it, but...I guess you'd have to really love pancakes to wait in those long ass lines for an hour or more.

http://www.thepancakepantry.com/

That's about all I can think of...there are tons of other places that we'd go to for drink specials, cigars, etc., and some of those places had good food (Sherlock's was an awesome fish and chips place with British lagers, but it's now closed), but the above mentioned places are probably the cream of the crop if you're just looking for a dining establishment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
Thanks!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
It's been quite a few years but The Stockyard was just the titz for big, beefy butt steak as I recall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »

Nah. The last time I went was like 1990. I think they have closed down since then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »
Nah. The last time I went was like 1990. I think they have closed down since then.

The only time I've been there since I was a kid, was when we played Vandy up there in 2001 (I think)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
It's been quite a few years but The Stockyard was just the titz for big, beefy butt steak as I recall.

I've never been to the Stock Yard, but I've heard mixed reviews about it.  Some people said it was great, others said it was the same as Longhorn's.  However, everyone does agree that it is pricey as hell, so needless to say I didn't go there during college.

But it is a place that I'd like to check out for myself at some point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:36:18 PM »

Yeah, they shut down in 1997.  They had a lot of flooding issues because of their proximity to the Cumberland.  Now they have the Opry Mills Mall and Gaylord Opryland Hotel there, which are very nice and more appropriate structures for that area.

Opryland did well for itself financially; it was just the constant closing of rides due to flood damage that hurt them.  In fact, Gaylord is teaming up with Dolly Parton to start a "water and snow" amusement park in Nashville.  It's supposed to open some time in 2014.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions