Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fuck Stanford - We should go after this guy...

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Fuck Stanford - We should go after this guy...
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
What the hell???  Talk about a shitty thing to do to an obviously good kid.

West St. Mary (Baldwin, La.) DB Jontrey Tillman was informed over the weekend that he was denied admission to Stanford, despite a 4.0 GPA and 26 ACT...

Jontrey Tillman pledged his services to Stanford in June 2011, but he got an unexpected phone call over the weekend.

"Stanford called Jontrey at 5 P.M. Friday and told him he wasn't accepted," said West St. Mary head coach Ryan Antoine. "Their defensive coordinator had been here five times and the DBs coach was here last Monday.

"They said they want him, but they can't question admissions or they will lose their jobs. I talked to Coach (David) Shaw on Saturday, and he said they can't control admissions. He said it's secretive."

Antoine was perplexed.

"Jontrey is devastated," he said. "This is a kid from a depressed socioeconomic environment who had been committed to Stanford since June. He turned down 20 scholarship offers and they tell him about this a week before National Signing Day?

"I read an article that said Barry Sanders has a 3.2 grade point average, and another commit has a 3.7. How do you explain that?"

Antoine says Tillman has the credentials: both academically and athletic-wise.

"He runs a 10.3 in the 100 and a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash," stated Antoine. "Jontrey had 2,000 all-purpose yards as a senior with 5,000 over the past two years. He's an icon in this community who has broken every school record.

"Jontrey didn't want to play in the basketball game Friday night, but to show you what kind of kid he is, he did play and hit the game-winning shot against Jeanerette."

Which schools are now in the mix?

"Houston is coming this week," said Antoine. "June Jones at SMU is coming tomorrow. Indiana will be here Wednesday; Colorado will be here on Friday.

"I'm confused and frustrated. The coaches at Stanford had told me it's a no-brainer that Jontrey was going to be accepted. Now I'm trying to get his name out there. He's the hardest-working kid on this team. Jontrey only visited Stanford. He turned down other visits because he was committed to Stanford."

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:12:25 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: Fuck Stanford - We should go after this guy...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
What the hell???  Talk about a shitty thing to do to an obviously good kid.

Yeah pretty shitty, but he's not Auburn football material either.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jontrey-Tillman-123258;_ylt=AvAEh9ryoxk4c1enndr50tbwOrF_
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
I'm guessing their admissions process has some politics behind it too.  In looking at Stanford's class, Heath Shuler's son, Grahm, a 4* OL is being admitted with a 3,5 GPA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »
I'm confused.  When did Nick Saban accept the Stanford job?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
I'm guessing their admissions process has some politics behind it too.  In looking at Stanford's class, Heath Shuler's son, Grahm, a 4* OL is being admitted with a 3,5 GPA.

Probably politics...

But, I also wonder what his ACT is?  26 is pretty low for Stanford.  Standardized test scores are looked upon by some colleges to be more indicative of intellectual aptitude than GPAs, which can vary depending upon the school you attended.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »
Probably politics...

But, I also wonder what his ACT is?  26 is pretty low for Stanford.  Standardized test scores are looked upon by some colleges to be more indicative of intellectual aptitude than GPAs, which can vary depending upon the school you attended.

Yeah, I thought about ACT too.  And extracurriculars are important, not just football.  I saw some of the Stanford croots with 4.1, 4..3 GPAs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
It's easy to have a 4.3 when your daddy is Oliver Luck.

So you factor in that this kid comes from a dirt poor shittastic situation where he obviously overachieved despite all of that...

And the coaches kept him on a string this whole time, to the point of him not even talking to other schools.

That was a shitty shitty thing to do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
It's easy to have a 4.3 when your daddy is Oliver Luck.

So you factor in that this kid comes from a dirt poor shittastic situation where he obviously overachieved despite all of that...

And the coaches kept him on a string this whole time, to the point of him not even talking to other schools.

That was a shitty shitty thing to do.

Yes, I agree, but he has offers from other schools, including Tulane, which, granted, is not as good as Stanford, but isn't teh suxxors either.   He can either wallow in his misery, or go get his education elsewhere. 

In fairness to the coaches that "strung him along,"  according to them, they have zero say in admissions, and are contractually obligated not to interfere with admissions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »
Yes, I agree, but he has offers from other schools, including Tulane, which, granted, is not as good as Stanford, but isn't teh suxxors either.   He can either wallow in his misery, or go get his education elsewhere. 

In fairness to the coaches that "strung him along,"  according to them, they have zero say in admissions, and are contractually obligated not to interfere with admissions.

So Admissions gets to fuck the football program - and the student athlete - one week before NSD.  If I am an opposing coach, I would use that against them 1000 times a visit.

"yeah, well, if you go to Stanford, you damn well better have that admission letter in hand before NSD... just sayin'..."

Oh, and post Katrina Tulane IS teh suxxors. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:03:04 PM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 07:54:17 AM »

Graham Shuler is not Heath Shuler's son.  He is the son of Rob Shuler, AU letterman, a member of the 1983 AU SEC Championship team and an Auburn Spade.

AU offered Graham late (after he had committed to Stanford) and Graham decided to stick to his commitment.

I believe Graham went to Brentwood Academy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
Stanford doesn't really care about football, and I'm pretty sure they don't look at their student-athletes as exceptions to their admission requirements. 

It's the Harvard of the West, and Jim Harbough deserves even more credit for how he built that program. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:04:20 AM »
Graham Shuler is not Heath Shuler's son.  He is the son of Rob Shuler, AU letterman, a member of the 1983 AU SEC Championship team and an Auburn Spade.

AU offered Graham late (after he had committed to Stanford) and Graham decided to stick to his commitment.

I believe Graham went to Brentwood Academy.

No, he is white
http://auburn.scout.com/2/704442.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:36:55 AM »

No, he is white
http://auburn.scout.com/2/704442.html

no shit?.....well damn.  Don't tell them folks in Palo Alto.......they think Graham is helping them make quota.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:37:34 AM by eagleair89 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Graham Shuler is not Heath Shuler's son.

Correct, I misread something I googled real quick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
So Admissions gets to fuck the football program - and the student athlete - one week before NSD.  If I am an opposing coach, I would use that against them 1000 times a visit.

"yeah, well, if you go to Stanford, you damn well better have that admission letter in hand before NSD... just sayin'..."

Oh, and post Katrina Tulane IS teh suxxors.

Believe it or not, outside the SEC and Vandy, yeah, that happens. 

Maybe Tulane does suck now, don't know. 

Quit frettin' over a 4.0 kid, he'll be fine.  Life is life.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions