Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Your Job Is...

Your Job Is...
« on: January 11, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
So I got side swiped today with a comment from one of my administrators. 

She's been rather hostile towards me about my grading system all year.  Last semester, she sent me routine emails that said, "Please send me the list of assignments you have scheduled this week and the date you think you'll have them graded." 

I obliged because, well, what the hell do I care?  I'm tenured.  She wasn't being up front with me about why she needed them, and I didn't feel like playing the "I'm a woman so I'm going to make you chase me for the answer" game. 

So today, we have a meeting with all 9th grade teachers about grades.  The same administrator proceeds to harangue us for having inconsistent grading systems.  One teacher bases their grades off of homework and classwork.  One teacher is predominantly tests and quizzes.  One has a large percentage of projects.  One has 1500 total points.  One has 400. 

Now, I understand the need for some form of unity across the board.  Perhaps unity isn't the right word - communication and transparency between teachers is probably a better description. 

It helps for me to know how they are being graded in their history and science and math classes.  It helps me to know how other English teachers grade.  It doesn't mean I have to convert to their system; however, it does mean that I have to use that knowledge for the benefit of my students. 

Here's where the bullshit came in: "Your job is to get these kids from 9th grade to 10th grade.  That's it.  Nothing else." 

Drop cup.  Hold the phone.  Get the fuck out of here.

My job is to get the kids from 9th to 10th grade?  I thought it was to teach them literature and grammar while assessing their progress. 

Apparently, I thought wrong. 

"We have far too many failures for the 9th grade class.  It's obvious some of you are either trying to hinder their success or are clueless to how your grading system is failing them."

Failing them?  Teaching every day and providing numerous opportunities to take quizzes and tests while rewarding their efforts in class with small grades?  That's failing them?

"This changes now.  The grading system all of you have been using?  It's in the trash.  We're going to provide you with the total number of points your should give and how much homework, classwork, and tests will be worth out of those points.  You have to understand that kids who drop out often drop out because of their failures in 9th grade.  We have to make sure they move into the 10th grade feeling confident in themselves." 

So it's a self-esteem issue? 

The result of this meeting was to say that tests and quizzes are worth much less.  Homework was worth some.  Classwork the most.  Kid doesn't do the work in class?  He can make it up for homework.  No penalties.  No criticism. 

"Because the purpose of the classwork is for them to complete it.  It's not an assessment."

This has been an ongoing process since I started teaching, and from what I've been told, it started when NCLB was implemented.  I read a recent blogpost about how the public education system is setting itself up to fail and be privatized.  I'm for privatizing education, but the process shouldn't involve screwing over an entire generation of kids. 

I've also noticed that as the government has grown so has the micromanaging in schools.  Standardized tests have become the norm.  They're more important than teacher lessons and assessments.  And worst of all?  They never reflect poorly on the students.  Always the teachers. 

This isn't limited to just grade school.  A local university a few years ago implemented a "Freshman Alert System."  Professors have to turn in the names of struggling students and those who actually fail classes are provided with counseling, tutoring, and opportunities to turn themselves around. 

Guess what?  It didn't stop there. 

This year, the same university added the "Sophomore Alert System" in addition to the freshman one. 

I imagine it will be provided for all students within a few years, and I'm certain that my assumption is correct when I assume that other schools have also implemented this type of help system.

Why?  Why the need to constantly help the students and coddle them to the point that they are convinced they didn't do anything wrong? 

And where the hell is this going? 

I know there are discrimination laws and gender laws and race laws and disability laws.  I have no doubt that in the near future, we will see employers be forced by the government to give new employees 2nd and 3rd and 4th and nth chances to do their job correctly.  Tenure - thanks public education! - will be provided for everyone. 

Because coddled little Johnny grew up to be coddling-required Johnny and was used to always being corrected when he did something wrong or didn't do something out of laziness.  So employers will be required to provide an "alert system" for their employees. 

Think I'm crazy?  Think I'm jumping too far off the bridge?  If you're old enough, go back twenty, thirty years.  Ask yourself back then if you could imagine a girl in the 10th grade being given 14 days to do assignments and infinite chances to pass a test within a nine weeks all because she has low self-esteem.  Because that's not hyperbole.  That's reality.  That was a student on my roster last year.

So what better way to protect the perception of the economy and the perception of the jobless than to take away the right of the employer to fire under performing employees?

Where else could this go?  I mean, I'm surprised the government hasn't thought up the bright idea of forcing employers to hire people. 

"Have x amount of money?  Make an x amount of revenue and profit?  You must employee n amount of people.  By law." 

What better way to control the citizens than to micromanage its economy? 

What better way to micromanage the economy than to hogtie the employers and emancipate the oppressed employees who just needed a little wittle extra help?

What better way to create the oppressed employees that desire the extra help and the Big Daddy Government's Protection than by manufacturing them in public schools? 

Just get them to the 10th grade.  Just get them on the factory line.  Just get them to the point where they are semi-productive and meet the lowest, most basic standard you can provide.  Then it won't be the government's fault that the economy is tanking.  It'll be the employer's. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:01:50 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: Your Job Is...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »
Does this professional child abuser have the authority to standardize your grading system?  I wouldn't change a thing if you are confident in the way you are assessing their performance.  You could always adopt her silly-assed standard and just make the points more difficult to attain to better align to your current grading system. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
I can control my classroom as I would like at least for the time being.  But there are ways to persuade teachers to toe the company line. 

For example, we have eight floaters at my school.  One of them is a tenured teacher who did something bad while he was a coach.  After nine years of being in the same classroom, he now floats and hates it. 

And yes, the administration can ask for grades to be done a certain way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »
Just give them all A's.  Everyone.  Pass out meaningless busy work, and pass every damn one of them.  Then when you are asked what the fuck you are thinking, tell whomever is asking that your only job is to move them to the 10th grade, so that's what you are doing.

Then when you are fired, call Fox 6 on your side. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:59:40 AM »
Just give them all A's.  Everyone.  Pass out meaningless busy work, and pass every damn one of them.  Then when you are asked what the fuck you are thinking, tell whomever is asking that your only job is to move them to the 10th grade, so that's what you are doing.

Then when you are fired, call Fox 6 on your side.

I was about to tell you to do whatever you had to do to pass them all.   What Token said would work to perfection.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
Sounds to me like this administrator got in to education with the goal of moving up the chain to administration in mind, NOT teaching kids.  What she's doing, through you teachers, by creating an easier path to the next grade, is self preservation, and making her daily existence easier, nothing more.  Creating the path of least resistance for everyone.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
Sounds to me like this administrator got in to education with the goal of moving up the chain to administration in mind, NOT teaching kids.  What she's doing, through you teachers, by creating an easier path to the next grade, is self preservation, and making her daily existence easier, nothing more.  Creating the path of least resistance for everyone.   

We're not the only school hearing this kind of talk.  Two other schools in the Birmingham area have - over the last few weeks - been had administrators bring up giving more points for classwork and less for assessments. 

It's AYP.  I know it is.  It's getting damn near impossible for schools to make AYP, so they're trying to manipulate the system.  Make it so that it's easier to graduate.  Focus teaching on the graduation exam.  Refuse to accept disciplinary referrals. 

Voila.  Utopia!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
Seriously...  I couldn't imagine the frustration that you go through.  I don't know what you're doing or why?  The government school system in the United States is total shit.  It has been that way for 50+ years, and it's only getting worse.  If you truly care about teaching, why don't you go private?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »
Seriously...  I couldn't imagine the frustration that you go through.  I don't know what you're doing or why?  The government school system in the United States is total shit.  It has been that way for 50+ years, and it's only getting worse.  If you truly care about teaching, why don't you go private?

Where in the fuck have you been?  I got some LED's for ya.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:35 AM »

Let me answer you:

I take the GRE on Monday.  I apply to graduate schools that offer anything not-education on Tuesday. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
THIS.....

Caused THIS kind of mentality to happen.....

Here's where the bullshit came in: "Your job is to get these kids from 9th grade to 10th grade.  That's it.  Nothing else." 

Drop cup.  Hold the phone.  Get the fuck out of here.

My job is to get the kids from 9th to 10th grade?  I thought it was to teach them literature and grammar while assessing their progress. 

Apparently, I thought wrong. 

"We have far too many failures for the 9th grade class.  It's obvious some of you are either trying to hinder their success or are clueless to how your grading system is failing them."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
THIS.....

Caused THIS kind of mentality to happen.....

Teacher's unions have been fostering this a lot longer than NCLB. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 01:18:20 AM »
I think this whole scenario is the slippery slope argument laid out by those who opposed women's suffrage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions