Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nascar rasist? who would have guessed?

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Nascar rasist? who would have guessed?
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:16:32 PM »
http://www.al.com/ap/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/1213112346171190.xml&storylist=topstories

Former official sues NASCAR over harassment claims
6/10/2008, 6:42 p.m. CDT
By JENNA FRYER
The Associated Press   

(AP) — As an aspiring racing official, Mauricia Grant had grown used to working in a man's world.

When she finally made it into NASCAR, Grant was appalled at the way she says she was treated beginning from her first day on the job until her firing last October.

Now she's suing NASCAR for $225 million, alleging racial and sexual discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

"I loved it. It was a great, exciting, adrenaline-filled job where I worked with fast cars and the best drivers in the world," Grant told The Associated Press. "But there was an ongoing daily pattern (of harassment). It was the nature of the people I worked with, the people who ran it, it trickled down from the top.

"It's just the way things are in the garage."

The 32-year-old Grant, who is black, worked as a technical inspector responsible for certifying cars in NASCAR's second-tier Nationwide Series from January 2005 until her termination. In the lawsuit, she alleged she was referred to as "Nappy Headed Mo" and "Queen Sheba," by co-workers, was often told she worked on "colored people time," and was frightened by one official who routinely made references to the Ku Klux Klan.

In addition, Grant said she was subjected to sexual advances from male co-workers, two of whom allegedly exposed themselves to her, and graphic and lewd jokes.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, lists 23 specific incidents of alleged sexual harassment and 34 specific incidents of alleged racial and gender discrimination beginning when she was hired in January 2005 through her October 2007 firing.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said the organization had not yet reviewed the suit.

"As an equal opportunity employer, NASCAR is fully committed to the spirit and letter of affirmative action law," Poston said, adding NASCAR has a zero tolerance policy for harassment.

In the lawsuit, Grant said she complained numerous times to her supervisors about how she was treated, to no avail. On one occasion, Grant said Nationwide Series director Joe Balash, her immediate supervisor, was dismissive of her complaints, explaining her co-workers were "former military guys" with a rough sense of humor. "You just have to deal with it," she says Balash told her.

On another occasion, she alleged Balash participated in the harassment.

"Does your workout include an urban obstacle course with a flat-screen TV on your back?" she claimed Balash asked her during the week of July 28, 2007 while working in Indianapolis.

Grant told the AP her two younger sisters witnessed racial discrimination against the official while visiting her at Daytona International Speedway in 2006 and encouraged her to document every incident going forward.

The lawsuit details a series of those alleged incidents:

• Grant was forced to work outside more often than the white male officials because her supervisors believed she couldn't sunburn because she was black.

• While riding in the backseat of her car pool at Talladega Superspeedway, co-workers told her to duck as they passed race fans. "I don't want to start a riot when these fans see a black woman in my car," she claims one official said.

• When packing up a dark garage at Texas Motor Speedway an official told Grant: "Keep smiling and pop your eyes out 'cause we can't see you."

• When she ignored advances from co-workers, Grant was accused of being gay. She also claimed co-workers questioned the sexual orientation of two other female officials.

After her termination, Grant said she went over her notes and recognized "a pattern of retaliation and discrimination."

"It didn't diminish my love for the sport of auto racing, but the job wasn't always the easiest thing to go to every day," she said.

Grant said she routinely complained to her supervisors. Two weeks after her final complaint, Grant said she was warned during the week of August 18, 2007 at Michigan International Speedway that she had engaged in "conduct unbecoming of a NASCAR representative" and would be fired unless she changed her behavior. She said the warning stemmed from a confrontation with a track official who stopped her as she passed through a gate to use the restroom.

Roughly two months later, Grant was fired, and NASCAR cited a poor work performance in ending her employment. The lawsuit claims other than a previous warning for using "street" language, Grant had never been disciplined for job performance and routinely received positive reviews.

"It is time for NASCAR to realize that not everbody is going to be bought off and not file a complaint," said Grant's attorney, Benedict P. Morelli of Morelli Ratner PC. "Not everybody is going to be intimidated and not file a complaint. Not everybody is going to be blackballed and not file a complaint."

In addition, the suit claims official Heather Gambino was fired in 2006 for complaining about a sexually hostile work environment. The suit also claims former official Dean Duckett, who is black, was reprimanded and ultimately fired last November for using "aggressive language toward a white co-worker."

Among those identified in Grant's suit are Balash, assistant series director Mike Dolan, supervisors Alan Shephard and Dennis Dillon, NASCAR's senior manager for business relations, the human resources director and 17 of Grant's fellow officials. All of the defendants are white.

"My supervisors all praised me. I was hanging in there with the guys," she said. "I am an athletic person. I went over the wall and faced malicious crews and competitive crew chiefs, and I was right there and held it down and was never lazy about it.

"And I knew that once I was terminated, there wasn't going to be an opportunity for me to find another industry like NASCAR to practice my craft."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: Nascar rasist? who would have guessed?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »
Former official sues NASCAR over harassment claims
6/10/2008, 6:42 p.m. CDT
By JENNA FRYER
The Associated Press   

(AP) — As an aspiring racing official, Mauricia Grant had grown used to working in a man's world.

When she finally made it into NASCAR, Grant was appalled at the way she says she was treated beginning from her first day on the job until her firing last October.

Now she's suing NASCAR for $225 million, alleging racial and sexual discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

"I loved it. It was a great, exciting, adrenaline-filled job where I worked with fast cars and the best drivers in the world," Grant told The Associated Press. "But there was an ongoing daily pattern (of harassment). It was the nature of the people I worked with, the people who ran it, it trickled down from the top.

"It's just the way things are in the garage."

She just said "trickled down from the top"...  What a whore!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:54:03 PM »
A black woman scorned after failing in her employment...and she's crying "racism"?!?!?!?!?  No way?????   :taunt:

She stayed there for HOW LONG!?!?!   Under "scary" conditions and with "continuous" harrassment for HOW LONG!?!?!.   Bullshit.  :bs:

She got fired, and figured she'd go Sharpton on Nascar.    What a fucking joke.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »
A black woman scorned after failing in her employment...and she's crying "racism"?!?!?!?!?  No way?????   :taunt:

She stayed there for HOW LONG!?!?!   Under "scary" conditions and with "continuous" harrassment for HOW LONG!?!?!.   Bullshit.  :bs:

Hey, it's already worked a million times before...why not make it 1,000,001???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »
A black woman scorned after failing in her employment...and she's crying "racism"?!?!?!?!?  No way?????   :taunt:

She stayed there for HOW LONG!?!?!   Under "scary" conditions and with "continuous" harrassment for HOW LONG!?!?!.   Bullshit.  :bs:

Typical white boy response...  You just wait until Emporer Obama's in charge.  It'll be off to the re-education camp for you pal! 

Remember... "My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."  I guess that's change "we" can believe in...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:18:04 PM by GarMan »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
Harassment's a bitch.  Just ask Isiah Thomas and your New York Knicks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

D-Day

• Sergeant-at-Arms
  • All courses... incomplete
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:00:20 PM »
Tsk, tsk. Just goes to show you that there's no room for women and/or blacks in NASCAR. Women have their kitchens and blacks have basketball. Why not let the white man have NASCAR to himself like God intended?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
Tsk, tsk. Just goes to show you that there's no room for women and/or blacks in NASCAR. Women have their kitchens and blacks have basketball. Why not let the white man have NASCAR to himself like God intended?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »

Cracka.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
Apparently Chad has been comparing notes with Jumbo on new and interesting ways to use the quote feature.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
Apparently Chad has been comparing notes with Jumbo on new and interesting ways to use the quote feature.

I thought he was just slingin' the red "x".   He quoted it correctly.....   I think....   :silence:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 11:18:44 AM »
Apparently Howard has been comparing notes with Stevie Wonder on new and interesting ways to view images hosted externally from this site.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »
Apparently Howard has been comparing notes with Stevie Wonder on new and interesting ways to view images hosted externally from this site.

Is there an image under the quote?  I don't see one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »
Is there an image under the quote?  I don't see one.

No picture on my screen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
X strikes again
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »

No picture on my screen.
You guys and your fascist employers.

Modify or quote my post, because I am a little attention whore and much like Tupac, I want All Eyez on Me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:06:46 PM by Ogre »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »
You guys and your fascist employers.

Modify or quote my post, because I am a little attention whore and much like Tupac, I want All Eyez on Me.
Not that one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 01:16:09 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions