Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Keeping Up With The Updykes: A Comparison

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Keeping Up With The Updykes: A Comparison
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
I had been hearing from a lot of the Alabama local media that they were supposed to be serious NCAA contenders this year. Even the national media appeared to be on their nuts a bit.

Heard last night they beat Oklahoma State. Figured they must be good, the Alabama media was freaking out about it via Twitter, etc.

Oklahoma State's 6-5.

Then I looked at Bama's schedule and realized they've already got 3 losses, and they weren't all to great teams. Kansas State and Georgetown are respectable teams, but they also lost to Dayton Men's College.

In fact, Seton Hall, our sole loss, beat Dayton Men's College head to head, and Bama lost to them by 12.

At this point, despite our better record, I'd still say Bama's a bit ahead of us, but not as far as I thought. At one point in the season they were like 12th, and they're still getting votes in the Top 25. We of course haven't received one vote yet. It will be really interesting to see how we come out of this tournament, and at that point our strength of schedules will be very similar, so the records will be more comparable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Keeping Up With The Updykes: A Comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
Once the suspended players get their game legs back, and Barbee has time to settle on his lineups, I really think these guys will make a nice run through the SEC schedule...8, 9, maybe 10 wins.  Before last night, bammer couldn't do much other than feed the ball to Green. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
Bama is not very big inside and they shoot the ball horribly from the outside.  What suspended players are we waiting on?  Langford is back in the line up.  McAfee is playing and Noel Johnson is dressed out and eligible.  I don't see that being much help to be honest because despite hearing a lot about how much better we'll be when Johnson is available, the guy didn't average 3 points a game at Climpsum. 

IMO, this team will be at it's best if Varez Ward settles in to running the show, distributing the ball and giving us about 10 points a game. They need to focus on Frankie Sullivan being the long range threat because he's about the only one on that team who has a pure stroke from the outside.  Chubb needs to hold down the middle, giving us some points and rebounding while Langford and Gabriel do that slashing and scoring shit. This team plays tough defense that will keep them in most every game.  They just don't have enough scoring threats, though.  I do like where Barbee has them headed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
You said stroke and Chubb in the same post.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
I had been hearing from a lot of the Alabama local media that they were supposed to be serious NCAA contenders this year. Even the national media appeared to be on their nuts a bit.

Heard last night they beat Oklahoma State. Figured they must be good, the Alabama media was freaking out about it via Twitter, etc.

Oklahoma State's 6-5.

Then I looked at Bama's schedule and realized they've already got 3 losses, and they weren't all to great teams. Kansas State and Georgetown are respectable teams, but they also lost to Dayton Men's College.

In fact, Seton Hall, our sole loss, beat Dayton Men's College head to head, and Bama lost to them by 12.

At this point, despite our better record, I'd still say Bama's a bit ahead of us, but not as far as I thought. At one point in the season they were like 12th, and they're still getting votes in the Top 25. We of course haven't received one vote yet. It will be really interesting to see how we come out of this tournament, and at that point our strength of schedules will be very similar, so the records will be more comparable.

I have stayed out of this thread so far...but...dude, we suck. I hope we get better, but we suck. Have you seen us play? I went and watched us on the eve of the Iron Bowl. It was one of the most boring basketball games I have ever been to. I will be shocked if we get to 20 wins like Sani says...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »
I have stayed out of this thread so far...but...dude, we suck. I hope we get better, but we suck. Have you seen us play? I went and watched us on the eve of the Iron Bowl. It was one of the most boring basketball games I have ever been to. I will be shocked if we get to 20 wins like Sani says...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
Granted, I haven't seen them play, but everything I've read is that this is a far different team than any we've seen at Auburn in the last 10 years (damn, it's been that long since we were decent?)

Not saying we're Final Four bound or anything. Don't think anyone was. Just that we're going to have a respectable season by our basketball standards. Hopefully won't be the worst team in the SEC, or even one of the bottom 4.

Also, I just read this:

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2011/12/hoops-report-alls-well-that-begins-well/

Hoops Report: All’s well that begins well
Written by Justin Lee Football, Sports, War Blog Eagle Dec 22, 2011

The 2011-2012 Auburn basketball team has been in the national spotlight just once this young season, in an 81-59 loss to Seton Hall during the SEC/Big East Challenge on Dec. 2. For many of expat Auburn fans, the loss—Auburn’s first road test of the season and the only time the Tigers have been nationally televised this year—had to have been an all too familiar scene: a slow start, sloppy ball control, and a lack of truly dependable scoring ability ruled the night. For those fans who have only had the chance to see the Tigers in that one contest on ESPNU, it must be discouraging to think that this team could be marred by the familiar problems (lack of leadership, scoring responsibility, and length and athleticism) that have haunted the program in years past, that the Tigers could be in for another long campaign of frustration.

But those of us who have been fortunate enough to see the Tigers in all of their other games so far this season, we know that that just won’t be the case.

The Tigers are 7-1 on the season, undefeated at home, and with nine wins in Auburn Arena if you count two preseason exhibition games (which haven’t always been guarantees in recent years). So far this season Auburn has played with discipline and excitement, with new pieces fitting in just where the coaching staff needed them to fit in. The Tigers have seemingly found their identity inside the defensive brand of basketball that head coach Tony Barbee promotes.

Some distant fans may not have been watching when that philosophy earned them a 52-40 victory over South Florida, and avenged that SEC/Big East Challenge loss to Seton Hall by downing Big East competition at home just a game later.

The team that Tony Barbee has built for 2011-2012 is far different from the Tigers team that struggled through last season.

The most obvious change is an added injection of talent, from both new faces and old friends. Texas transfer point guard Varez Ward, who sat out last season waiting out a knee injury (and NCAA transfer rules), has become all that Auburn fans hoped for. Ward immediately gives Auburn more scoring opportunities as soon as he steps on the floor, averaging 11.1 points and 4.3 assists per game so far this season. He has seamlessly found his place on this team, giving the Tigers what they have been lacking in years past— a true point guard that can distribute and make his teammates better on the offensive end, while being able to pick up the ball and score himself when needed, like in his 20-point performance against Nicholl’s State and by scoring 17 against North Florida.

Auburn’s back-court also received a major upgrade in talent and in leadership with the return of veteran Frankie Sullivan, who took a medical-redshirt after missing almost all of last season with an ACL tear. Despite returning from injury, Sullivan is back and playing better than ever, tapping the potential Auburn fans have seen from the 2008 Alabama Mr. Basketball runner-up since he arrived on the Plains. It’s no surprise that Sullivan is Auburn’s leading scorer with 13.1 points-per-game, but just as valuable to the Tigers as his dependable scoring is his leadership, both with his hard-nosed play on the defensive end and in the feel he has for his teammates when the basketball is in his hand.

But apart from new additions, the same core group of players from 2010-2011 have made strides and have begun to fulfill the potential that Auburn fans saw from them down the stretch last season. Kenny Gabriel has come into his senior season along with Sullivan as one of the team’s most well-rounded and best overall players on both ends of the court, putting together a nice stat line with 10.9 points/game, 8.8 rebounds/game, and 3.0 blocks/game. Center Rob Chubb bulked up over the summer, adding 20 pounds this offseason, and has found his groove in different matchups throughout the season, as recently as in Monday’s tilt against Florida A&M where he scored 21 points.

Meanwhile, Auburn continues to add players to the shuffle. Josh Langford has made his return and added some length and athleticism to the team over the last two games, after he and Tony Neysmith returned from suspension before the North Florida game. 6-foot-6 guard and Clemson transfer Noel Johnson is eligible to play, but has missed each of his chances so far to make it onto the court with injury.

Johnson could make his Auburn debut in Honolulu, Hawaii, of all places, early Friday morning. Auburn could certainly use him, and all of the depth they can find on the back end of the bench, as it competes in three games in three days in the Diamond Head Classic tournament this week. It could finally be another chance for Auburn fans across the country to see the Tigers on national television again this holiday season.

Auburn begins the tournament against the home standing Hawaii Rainbow Warriors late Thursday night / early Friday morning, with tipoff at midnight Central time on ESPNU. And with the way Auburn has been playing and with the tournament draw they’ve been given, Tiger fans may just have reason to be excited and to stay up late. If Auburn can get past Hawaii, they will face either Long Beach State or a depleted Xavier team, still reeling with four players suspended after a brawl during its game with Cincinatti, meaning that Auburn could actually find themselves in a position to make a run in actual tournament basketball.

But regardless of the boost that bringing home some victories from Hawaii could provide, or the opportunity Auburn has once again on the national stage, the true take-away from this tournament could be the experience the Tigers could gain, and the opportunity that they have to show some consistency against stout competition in their second real road trip of the season. Auburn could easily find themselves facing off against two NCAA tournament teams in two days on the back end of this tournament, which would prove invaluable as they prepare for the SEC slate in January.

For now, all these new Auburn Tigers have to do is take their show on the road—and show those fans across the country, and maybe a few folks in Honolulu, just what they’ve been missing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »

All I have ever said was 20.  I never specified wins or losses.

However what I have seen of this team I like.  We have more hustle than i have seen us have in years.  Reminds me of the first teams that Nolan Richardson started putting together at Arkansas before they had their run in the 90's. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
However what I have seen of this team I like.  We have more hustle than i have seen us have in years.  Reminds me of the first teams that Nolan Richardson started putting together at Arkansas before they had their run in the 90's.

I was thinking Mike Anderson when he coached UAB. Oddly enough Anderson was a Richardson pupil. It was this think that has me leaning towards the Auburn / Arkansas Bball X-outing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »
All I have ever said was 20.  I never specified wins or losses.

So...20 minutes of heck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.