Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So...What Now?

jmar

Re: So...What Now?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
huh?
Still sore that I scuffed-up Malzahn huh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
And?

Do you think all fan opinion is disqualified from being part of a discussion?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
Sort of agree....

Auburn ran Oregon off the field (though the scoreboard didn't properly reflect it) because we could match their speed with superior size.

Auburn did not run many SEC teams off the field, because they matched our speed AND size.  Auburn caught the SEC after it had a few years to adjust to UF's spread/speed.  Without #2 to bail us out with freakish play, that offense wasn't nearly the comeback juggernaut it became.

In other words: an SEC team running the spread can whip the dog piss out of just about any non-SEC team in the nation.  It's a brutal combination of size and speed.  All things being equal in the SEC, a spread team just doesn't provide the complete mismatch anymore.  The scheme has been bested.  The trend will turn and one day the spread will work again, but for now it's day is done.

Now I know why you are my hero.  This is exactly my thought.  MY problem with the spread, is that I do think it is an awesome system....if you have the right players.  Otherwise I think it pales in comparison to just running a a Pro-Style offense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 01:22:02 AM »
IMO, I'd promote Coach Loop to OC/RB Coach and bring in Rhett Lashley as the QB Coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »
Still sore that I scuffed-up Malzahn huh?

You did what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 04:16:25 AM »
Do you think all fan opinion is disqualified from being part of a discussion?

Yep.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 04:18:02 AM »
Now I know why you are my hero.  This is exactly my thought.  MY problem with the spread, is that I do think it is an awesome system....if you have the right players.  Otherwise I think it pales in comparison to just running a a Pro-Style offense.

Clearly, it turned out spectacular for Florida this season.

And don't forget Auburn 2005-2007 either. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:19:58 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 05:31:17 AM »
Clearly, it turned out spectacular for Florida this season.

And don't forget Auburn 2005-2007 either.
Florida is trying to convert from the speed/spread to the pro style, that will take atleast 2 years to transition. Auburn had some good teams from '05-'07, so I'm not sure why you brought them up...plus, most of the starters left after the '04 season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
Yep.

But your opinion is always substantiated. 

I think I've figured this out:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »
IMO, I'd promote Coach Loop to OC/RB Coach and bring in Rhett Lashley as the QB Coach.

This may be actually what happens....

.....then Luper part anyway. Lashlee to Ark St. with Malzahn.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:39:04 AM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »

Agree totally. Ive accepted the fact that Malzahn's offense will only beat VERY GOOD Defenses with superior talent. Anyone ever documented his record against Top 20 Defenses - W/L, PPG? It's not pretty. People talk about the records set in 2009 with Chris Todd but notice it was always against teams that were inferior in talent. All of the good teams we played in 09? The O sputtered. Even with Cam last year, the O would have its moments against a sound defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
Florida is trying to convert from the speed/spread to the pro style, that will take atleast 2 years to transition.

It's like I thought it out and you wrote it.

Square pegs in a round hole is what comes to mind at Florida.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
Florida is trying to convert from the speed/spread to the pro style, that will take atleast 2 years to transition. Auburn had some good teams from '05-'07, so I'm not sure why you brought them up...plus, most of the starters left after the '04 season.

Wait, you mean they can't just tutor them, and develop them in one season?

If Auburn was so good 05-07, why did Borges get axed?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »
Agree totally. Ive accepted the fact that Malzahn's ANY offense will only beat VERY GOOD Defenses with superior talent. Anyone ever documented his record against Top 20 Defenses - W/L, PPG? It's not pretty. People talk about the records set in 2009 with Chris Todd but notice it was always against teams that were inferior in talent. All of the good teams we played in 09? The O sputtered. Even with Cam last year, the O would have its moments against a sound defense.

Fixed
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
I don't really see Auburn changing the offensive philosophy at this time, the spread type that is. We will probably see Auburn go after a spread type OC that likes to run the football to set up the pass; which is what Malzahn did minus the crazy gimmick plays. I don't have any problems with that at all really, I just would prefer seeing an offense to be balanced but grind out a 1st down when needed instead of some stupid WR screen. Its all well documented that our players are young and need to grow in both strength and experience; I'm tired of hearing that as an excuse though. Maybe Malzahn thought that some of these gimmick plays could make up for inexperience, I don't know. What I do know is that more times than not, that shit just isn't gonna work long.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
IMO, I'd promote Coach Loop to OC/RB Coach and bring in Rhett Lashley Dameyune Craig as the QB Coach.

Kiss and make up, then let him recruit for us, like he has been against us. 

Wait, you mean they can't just tutor them, and develop them in one season?

If Auburn was so good 05-07, why did Borges get axed?

Anyone realize what AU's record was when Borges was OC?  41-9.  9 L's in 4 seasons, how fucking dare his shitty offense cost us a little over 2 wins a year!!!  I think he got shit canned for two reasons.  We lost 4 games in 07, seat was a little warm, he was the scapegoat.   Not enough smoke there to warrant it if you ask me.  I also believe that he wasn't part of the BBQ gang and Tubs was always way more loyal to his assistants than he ever was an OC.   Since he wasn't part of the gang, he got got.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »

Anyone realize what AU's record was when Borges was OC?  41-9.  9 L's in 4 seasons, how fucking dare his shitty offense cost us a little over 2 wins a year!!!  I think he got shit canned for two reasons.  We lost 4 games in 07, seat was a little warm, he was the scapegoat.   Not enough smoke there to warrant it if you ask me.  I also believe that he wasn't part of the BBQ gang and Tubs was always way more loyal to his assistants than he ever was an OC.   Since he wasn't part of the gang, he got got.

Tubs was more savvy than given credit for.  He knew the evil eye of the fans was always pointed at schemes, and that OCs and DCs were always blamed for losses most.  Poor play calling, you know.  "His scheme requires superior athletes".   That kind of shit.   So, he kept Coordinators at arm's length, while he kept his trusted core of ACs close.  When things go bad, save face, can a coordinator, and everybody thinks you've solved the problem, until it becomes clear that the real problem is you've stopped recruiting. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »

Little Jimmy says you gonna' get got.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
Fixed

Chris Peterson thinks you are full of shit. Pease and before him, Harsin, both ran a Multiple. They are successful by being fundamentally sound and they execute perfectly most of the time. They rarely make mistakes. They beat teams with better talent more times than not.

Pease coached under Guy Morriss, who coached with Mumme and Leach, which I find odd. But there's something about Peterson that is fundamentally sound.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »

Never agreed with the firing of Borges. He was meddled with and was never part of the inner circle. When he was allowed to do his thing, his Offenses were fantastic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE