So...What Now?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
So...What Now?
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
Wish lists?

DC:
I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not the Mark Stoops deal is completely dead or not. Still holding out hope? If not, any other realistic options being mentioned?

OC:
Would Al Borges return? He coached alongside Chizik in 04. I gotta believe he's in his Roladex. He liked it here. I remember seeing him at baseball games like 2 years after he was let go, before he took the job at San Diego State. Other candidates?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: So...What Now?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
Wish lists?

DC:
I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not the Mark Stoops deal is completely dead or not. Still holding out hope? If not, any other realistic options being mentioned?

OC:
Would Al Borges return? He coached alongside Chizik in 04. I gotta believe he's in his Roladex. He liked it here. I remember seeing him at baseball games like 2 years after he was let go, before he took the job at San Diego State. Other candidates?
Al Borges is currently the OC at Michigan.  He would be in his second year next year and I don't think he would leave.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
Skreetz keep saying Stoops.

Baylor OC, Phil Montgomery
Hogs OL Coach, Chris Klenakis (Think back to Nevadas offense two years ago....was bad ass)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »
Saw where Chad Morris just got a contract extension at Clemson.  Coincidence? 

Heard one of the Auburn website dudes on Finebaum talking OC names.  Can't recall the names, but one was the OC at Texas when Chiz was there, and the other is the guy that is the OC at So. Miss, though he may get the HC gig there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:29:15 PM »
Names being tossed out there:

former Texas OC Greg Davis Sr.
Curtis Luper
USM OC Blake Anderson
BYU OC  Brandon Doman
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:29:49 PM by djsimp »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »
Texas fans loathed Davis while he was there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
Texas fans loathed Davis while he was there.

And? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
And?

Agree that fan opinion shouldn't rule the day, but absent the Young/McCoy years, Davis hasn't been very impressive.  Would be, in my uneducated opinion a very "meh" hire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
Agree that fan opinion shouldn't rule the day, but absent the Young/McCoy years, Davis hasn't been very impressive.  Would be, in my uneducated opinion a very "meh" hire.

From 98 to 2009, he produced consistently high scoring offenses.  He didn't even experience a drop off post VY. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »
  post VY.

You mean the McCoy years...covered that already.  My biggest concern is the complete lack of a run game of note.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »
You mean the McCoy years...covered that already.  My biggest concern is the complete lack of a run game of note.

He was pretty good prior to VY too.  That said, I wouldn't like the hire, but because this guy is older, and not HC material.  One short gig at Tulane.  Nobody is clamoring to hire this guy.  He's older, and more likely to be contrary to authority, and just say "fuck it" when things go bad.   I'd much prefer a guy with a hunger to be a HC...a guy full of piss and vinegar with something to prove.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
JR4AU would be on my short list of OC candidates.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
He was pretty good prior to VY too.  That said, I wouldn't like the hire, but because this guy is older, and not HC material.  One short gig at Tulane.  Nobody is clamoring to hire this guy.  He's older, and more likely to be contrary to authority, and just say "fuck it" when things go bad.   I'd much prefer a guy with a hunger to be a HC...a guy full of piss and vinegar with something to prove.

Agree with your take on his age/hunger.  To his credit, Tubs always wanted ambitious assistants.  I hope that Chizik took that lesson to heart.

I'm starting to come around to the school of thought that the spread, while once a success in the SEC, has run its course here.  You aren't going to surprise anyone with speed in this league.  I think Saban and Miles are showing that a big, fast defense (focus on the front 7) and a power running game/play action offense are the reliable and consistent ways to win in this league.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
JR4AU would be on my short list of OC candidates.

I know enough to know I'm not the man for the job.  Nobody would like it when I called a quick kick on 3rd and long. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 06:58:58 PM »
I know enough to know I'm not the man for the job.  Nobody would like it when I called a quick kick on 3rd and long.

No way...that is the most underrated play in college football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
Agree with your take on his age/hunger.  To his credit, Tubs always wanted ambitious assistants.  I hope that Chizik took that lesson to heart.

I'm starting to come around to the school of thought that the spread, while once a success in the SEC, has run its course here.  You aren't going to surprise anyone with speed in this league.  I think Saban and Miles are showing that a big, fast defense (focus on the front 7) and a power running game/play action offense are the reliable and consistent ways to win in this league.

There is nothing that won't work if you have the players, and nothing that produces yards and points without players.   

In the end, if you can't block, you can't run an offense effectively.   If your QB can't run your system, you're pretty well fucked. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
There is nothing that won't work if you have the players, and nothing that produces yards and points without players.   

In the end, if you can't block, you can't run an offense effectively.   If your QB can't run your system, you're pretty well fucked.

Sort of agree....

Auburn ran Oregon off the field (though the scoreboard didn't properly reflect it) because we could match their speed with superior size.

Auburn did not run many SEC teams off the field, because they matched our speed AND size.  Auburn caught the SEC after it had a few years to adjust to UF's spread/speed.  Without #2 to bail us out with freakish play, that offense wasn't nearly the comeback juggernaut it became.

In other words: an SEC team running the spread can whip the dog piss out of just about any non-SEC team in the nation.  It's a brutal combination of size and speed.  All things being equal in the SEC, a spread team just doesn't provide the complete mismatch anymore.  The scheme has been bested.  The trend will turn and one day the spread will work again, but for now it's day is done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
Sort of agree....

Auburn ran Oregon off the field (though the scoreboard didn't properly reflect it) because we could match their speed with superior size.

Auburn did not run many SEC teams off the field, because they matched our speed AND size.  Auburn caught the SEC after it had a few years to adjust to UF's spread/speed.  Without #2 to bail us out with freakish play, that offense wasn't nearly the comeback juggernaut it became.

In other words: an SEC team running the spread can whip the dog piss out of just about any non-SEC team in the nation.  It's a brutal combination of size and speed.  All things being equal in the SEC, a spread team just doesn't provide the complete mismatch anymore.  The scheme has been bested.  The trend will turn and one day the spread will work again, but for now it's day is done.

Many coaches believe that if you run something radically different from what the rest of your league runs, you can have some success with lesser players, but it won't last forever. 

I can assure you, bammer and LSU present zero surprises to opposing defenses.  For that matter neither does Spurrier, Richt or Petrino.  In a sense, at least at LSU and Bammer they require more and better players, because they both rely on physically pushing you around.   As long as they have big, mature experienced OLs, they can be successful.   It's easy to give all the credit to Cam, but Auburn had that ability last season with our OL.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:25 PM »
Many coaches believe that if you run something radically different from what the rest of your league runs, you can have some success with lesser players, but it won't last forever. 

I can assure you, bammer and LSU present zero surprises to opposing defenses.  For that matter neither does Spurrier, Richt or Petrino.  In a sense, at least at LSU and Bammer they require more and better players, because they both rely on physically pushing you around.   As long as they have big, mature experienced OLs, they can be successful.   It's easy to give all the credit to Cam, but Auburn had that ability last season with our OL.
I prefer the spread but would think a run based West Coast gives us more choices for a top coordinator...assuming we intend to move toward a pro-style attack with our current skill players.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »
I prefer the spread but would think a run based West Coast gives us more choices for a top coordinator...assuming we intend to move toward a pro-style attack with our current skill players.   

huh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions