Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The O's can fail at anything...

chinook

The O's can fail at anything...
« on: November 22, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
Laundry Basket: The Orioles Present Their New-Old Cartoon Bird, With Old-New Typo

The Baltimore Orioles announced this week that they are replacing the awkward, pedantically overdesigned "ornithologically correct" bird logo on their caps with a slightly revised version of the grinning cartoon Oriole Bird heads the team employed from 1966 to 1988—a span that included six pennants, three World Series wins, and 18 consecutive winning seasons....

....Hold that thought. There is one little—nearly invisible—detail that more or less ruins the new Bird business. The logo on the baseball cap is wearing a baseball cap of its own. And that cap has a logo, too.

On the original cartoon heads, the cap-within-a-cap had a little splotch, suggesting infinite recursion: the Bird's cap had a Bird on it, and that Bird's cap apparently had a Bird on it, and so on. The new Bird is wearing the Orioles' alternate cap, which says "O's" on it. Or rather, it says "O‘s," with the apostrophe upside-down.

This is an idiotic error, originally caused by the fact that Bill Gates is illiterate. It has been discussed for years, but the Orioles have never bothered fixing it. And now they've gone to the trouble of propagating it in miniature. It's itty-bitty, but it's still definitely wrong. The same mistake, over and over again. That's the Baltimore Orioles.

full article and link...

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: The O's can fail at anything...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
 :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
Hey!  Fuck the both of you!  As an Orioles fan I would argue that it's a contraction for Orioles.  Then again, I won't.  I see this as a big ass mistake.  Mistakes like this fall at the feet of one man and one man only, Mr. Peter Angelos.  Everything he has done has been a clusterfuck and I hate him. 

Oh and GH can suck on it with his snide little "When were the Orioles every any good".....read it and weep.

from 1966 to 1988—a span that included six pennants, three World Series wins, and 18 consecutive winning seasons....
  And they had a decent run in the 90's until we traded off Mussina to New York and didn't keep him around to build a staff around.  Apparently we thought hitting the ball was more important than good pitching.   

/yeahImad
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
Hey!  Fuck the both of you!  As an Orioles fan I would argue that it's a contraction for Orioles.  Then again, I won't.  I see this as a big ass mistake.  Mistakes like this fall at the feet of one man and one man only, Mr. Peter Angelos.  Everything he has done has been a clusterfuck and I hate him. 

Oh and GH can suck on it with his snide little "When were the Orioles every any good".....read it and weep.
  And they had a decent run in the 90's until we traded off Mussina to New York and didn't keep him around to build a staff around.  Apparently we thought hitting the ball was more important than good pitching.   

/yeahImad

Hey hey hey....no need for that kind of talk.

But you know what AUT? The Orioles suck. SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!!

World Series titles (3) 1914 • 1957 • 1995
NL Pennants (17) 1877 • 1878 • 1883 • 1891 • 1892 • 1893 • 1897 • 1898 • 1914 • 1948 • 1957 • 1958 • 1991 • 1992 • 1995 • 1996 • 1999
National Association Pennants (4) 1872 • 1873 • 1874 • 1875
East Division titles (11) 1995 • 1996 • 1997 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2001 • 2002 • 2003 • 2004 • 2005
West Division titles (5) 1969 • 1982 • 1991 • 1992 • 1993
Wild card berths (1) 2010

IS GREATER THAN...

World Series titles (3) 1983 • 1970 • 1966
AL Pennants (7) 1983 • 1979 • 1971 • 1970
1969 • 1966 • 1944

East Division titles (8) 1997 • 1983 • 1979 • 1974
1973 • 1971 • 1970 • 1969

Wild card berths (1) 1996

I really hate to see what their track record would look like without Frank Robinson and Cal Ripken.

:poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »
Which leads me to question this.  Was Bobbby Cox the Bob Stoops of MLB, all those wins, all that talent, all those pennats and only one world series. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »
Which leads me to question this.  Was Bobbby Cox the Bob Stoops of MLB, all those wins, all that talent, all those pennats and only one world series.

In the same span....

1 > 0 (Cubs, O's, Dodgers, Pirates, Indians, Astros)

Am I gonna have to summon thrilla?

I can't think of one year in that span where the Braves were the most talented team in MLB or the Nat League.  In fact, those first few years were ragtag teams. At some point during the Bobby Cox era there are many teams (including the 6 mentioned above) that had as much talent if not more than the Braves, who never sniffed a pennant, muchless a WS.

Stoops isn't a terrible comparison. He has more wins than any coach the last decade, he has a title. Could be worse. Could be Mike Shula, Ed Orgeron, Houston Nutt, Mike Stoops.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »
Not saying Cox wasn't a good manager, he had to of been to get that many wins.  I am just saying that with Smoltz, Avery Glavine, Maddux, Smith, Leibrandt, Millwood, Burkett, Neagle and some others and the main 3 in your rotation from 90 ot 2000 and you only have one series in that time span, it comes across as can't win the big game.

91 and 92 and having Leibrandt pitch to Puckett to keep the Twins alive and using him as a reliever in 92 and losing to the Blue Jays. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »

Am I gonna have to summon thrilla?

Isn't he still stalking Cox somewhere?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
Isn't he still stalkingucking off Cox somewhere?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »
Isn't he still stalking Cox somewhere?

Must be, because he doesn't post here much anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »
Not saying Cox wasn't a good manager, he had to of been to get that many wins.  I am just saying that with Smoltz, Avery Glavine, Maddux, Smith, Leibrandt, Millwood, Burkett, Neagle and some others and the main 3 in your rotation from 90 ot 2000 and you only have one series in that time span, it comes across as can't win the big game.

91 and 92 and having Leibrandt pitch to Puckett to keep the Twins alive and using him as a reliever in 92 and losing to the Blue Jays.

This....all of it.  I've been a Braves fan since Hank Aaron days.  It was huge for them to make that run for all those years, but that was as much Scheurholtz (sp?) bringing in talent at the right time as it was Cox' managing.  Now, the first couple of years in that streak, I really have to give him credit because that was the rag tag bunch mentioned above.  However, it seemed they went from the rally cap mentality to the consumate professionals.  Hit the playoffs and professionally get your ass kicked by teams like Florida and Philly, who had less talent but played inspired baseball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »

Do not lump in Leibrandt with those others. Fuck him in da mouf.

If the Braves had all that pitching and only 1 WS title, that establishes one fact. They had no hitting. Sid Bream? Really?? Love the guy but he wasn't Chipper.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »
Do not lump in Leibrandt with those others. Fuck him in da mouf.

If the Braves had all that pitching and only 1 WS title, that establishes one fact. They had no hitting. Sid Bream? Really?? Love the guy but he wasn't Chipper.

Leibrandt was good, just had two bad moments in a Series.  Remember those were guys over a 10 year span. With pitching like that, McGriff, Justice, Pendelton, Lopez, Kelly, Klesko, Chipper, Treadway, Grissom, Dye, Lofton, Jones for a couple of those years, should have been enough.  All those guys have a career BA of .270 or higher and some only b/c they were that good when they were with the Braves. 

Once again, not saying he wasn't a great manager, just wondering why it seemed like the Braves fell apart in either the NLCS or the World Series.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:10 PM »
Leibrandt was good, just had two bad moments in a Series.  Remember those were guys over a 10 year span. With pitching like that, McGriff, Justice, Pendelton, Lopez, Kelly, Klesko, Chipper, Treadway, Grissom, Dye, Lofton, Jones for a couple of those years, should have been enough.  All those guys have a career BA of .270 or higher and some only b/c they were that good when they were with the Braves. 

Once again, not saying he wasn't a great manager, just wondering why it seemed like the Braves fell apart in either the NLCS or the World Series.

I'm sorry, did you just say Ryan Klesko? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
I'm sorry, did you just say Ryan Klesko?

Yeah, that guy that averaged .284 and 30HR a year while he was with the Braves?   Yeah that would be him, why?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
Yeah, that guy that averaged .284 and 30HR a year while he was with the Braves?   Yeah that would be him, why?

Pffffft....he only averaged 22 HR.  I took his last 6 years there and discounted the first two when he got very few AB's. 

Yeah, but can he play the piano?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
Do they have one of those egg on the face emoticons?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »
Pffffft....he only averaged 22 HR.  I took his last 6 years there and discounted the first two when he got very few AB's. 

Yeah, but can he play the piano?

You would be correct.  Chizad math my bad.  Ok, so he hit .284 with 22 HR, still a nice guy to have in the lineup. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
As the team in constant contention for last place in the AL East, I'd like to point and laugh, but can't.

The new logo is a variation of the old logo, which utilizes two DIFFERENT vintage Orioles logos.

Toronto just did basically the same thing.

Original:

Abomination:

The "Vintage" New logo:

Much improved from the last one, but still maintains a bit of consistency with it. Kind of like a cross between the last two logos, but more of the old school, which is a good thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »