The most exciting thing from the CFL

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
The most exciting thing from the CFL
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:24 PM »

Story:

They played the Grey Cup on Sunday  in Vancouver, but  the C.F.L. battle that many people wanted to discuss happened at the Canadian Football League alumni luncheon two days earlier. Joe Kapp, 73, fought an old C.F.L. adversary, Angelo Mosca, also 73, on the stage.

Andrew Bucholtz of the 55YardLine blog, which covers the C.F.L., has the details and asks: “Is it really worth it for them to engage in such a serious fight over something that happened in a single game 48 years ago?”

Drew Edwards of The Scratching Post blog, which covers the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, gave the background:

The animosity between the two dates back to the 1963 Grey Cup game, when Mosca hit running back Willie Fleming with a shot that many – including Kapp – felt was dirty. It knocked Fleming from the game, which the Ticats won 21-10. Kapp refused to shake Mosca’s hand afterward.

Mosca said  Kapp started things on Friday by swearing at him after he tried to say hello. Mosca was also quoted by Edwards as saying:

“They showed the Willie Fleming incident on the screen – it was like it was a setup. He comes up to me with a flower in his hand taken from the table, one of the centrepieces, and he sticks the flower in my nose.Then he shoves it in my nose. I reacted with my cane and then he punched me and I went down. Then he kicked me.”

Kapp,  the only person to play quarterback in the Super Bowl, the Rose Bowl and the Grey Cup, was later a  head coach at Cal, most memorably when the Bears beat rival Stanford on a madcap series of laterals that culminated with a touchdown amid celebrating Stanford band members. Kapp said,  “The Bear will not quit, the Bear will not die.” Apparently, the Bear does not forget either.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:45:57 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: The most exciting thing from the CFL
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
"He hit me with a cane"   :classic:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
I think I've seen this before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »
They left out Joe Kapp's greatest achievement, playing the Walking Boss on the Longest Yard.

If you ever see any footage from his NFL days you'll see that he was the original Tim Tebow except with more swearing.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
This is great. Kapp whipped his ass.

It looked like Kapp tried to give a piece offering but then fat boy said to shove it up his ass. It probably embarrassed the shit out of Kapp so instead he shoved it up his nose. Kapp popped him pretty damn good. That could have knocked me out...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions