Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gus Malzahn to Stay at AU?

Gus Malzahn to Stay at AU?
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »
AUBURN - Nothing will be certain until all the open head coaching jobs have been filled, but offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn has told people close to him that he expects to return to Auburn for his fourth season in 2012.

Malzahn has been mentioned prominently as a candidate for jobs at North Carolina and Ole Miss. Last December, he turned down an offer to become Vanderbilt head coach and declined to interview for an opening at Maryland.

Malzahn offense has been the least productive this season of any in his six seasons - one at Arkansas two at Tulsa and three at Auburn.

Asked after last Saturday's 42-14 loss to Alabama about his future plans, Malzahn said, "Like I've said before, someday I want to be a head coach. It has to be the right time, the right place, all that stuff. Right now, what I'm going to do tomorrow is figure out how we can get this stuff fixed, get us ready for this bowl game, to play well."

In Auburn's national championship run in 2010, Malzahn's offense shattered nine school records, including points in a season (577), points per game (41.2), total yards (6,989), total offense (499.2), rushing yards (3,987), rushing touchdowns (41) and passing touchdowns (31).

Quarterback Cam Newton threw for 2,908 yards and 30 touchdowns, while rushing for 1,586 yards and 20 touchdowns en route to becoming the third Heisman winner in school history.

In 2009, Malzahn's first season, the Tigers made a dramatic turnaround from the previous season.

The improved from a tie for 110th to 7th in the nation in scoring offense (from 17.3 to 41.2) and from 104th to 7th in total offense. It took Auburn just six games in 2009 to score more points than it did in all 12 games in 2008.

The 2008 Tulsa offense averaged 569.9 yards per game and was second nationally averaging 47.2 points per games. Tulsa's offense in 2007 established nine team school records and 12 individual records. The Hurricane also set nine Conference USA team records, while Tulsa quarterback Paul Smith broke an NCAA record by throwing for at least 300 yards in 14 consecutive games.

During Malzahn's one season at Arkansas in 2006, the Razorbacks finished with a 10-4 record and were SEC West Division Champions.

Two of Malzahn's first three collegiate offenses ranked in the top 10 nationally in rushing, including the 2008 Tulsa team that was fifth, averaging 268.0 yards per game, and his 2006 Arkansas offense that was fourth nationally (228.5 ypg) behind Heisman Trophy runnerup Darren McFadden and fellow All- American Felix Jones.

After losing eight starters from last season's team, theTigers have struggled this season, averaging 24.2 points and 328.2 yards per game.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Malzahn-likely-to-remain-at-AU-50847

Phillip Marshall doesn't really know if you ask me.  I think this is a nice article released to help the December recruiting season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Gus Malzahn to Stay at AU?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »
To be quite honest, I don't know that I would leave.  This has nothing to do with me wanting Gus to stay or leave, but think about it.  The dude makes about as much as probably 70% of current college head coaches and he doesn't have to deal with all the extra bullshit that goes with it.

Personally, I don't know if I see him doing well as a Head Coach, he is a bit on the strange side.  I am sure we will find out one day could be tomorrow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
To be quite honest, I don't know that I would leave.  This has nothing to do with me wanting Gus to stay or leave, but think about it.  The dude makes about as much as probably 70% of current college head coaches and he doesn't have to deal with all the extra bullshit that goes with it.

Personally, I don't know if I see him doing well as a Head Coach, he is a bit on the strange side.  I am sure we will find out one day could be tomorrow.

What he said.  How stressful could it be to call plays for $1.3 million a year.  Apparently, he's not putting a lot of thought into it anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »

IMHO, it will take a job opening where he honestly believes he can get the players in required to win in whatever league it is.  ACC?  North Carolina?  Yes.  SEC?  Ole Miss?  No.  If it's not a destination job it has to be one that's not a career killer. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
IMHO, it will take a job opening where he honestly believes he can get the players in required to win in whatever league it is.  ACC?  North Carolina?  Yes.  SEC?  Ole Miss?  No.  If it's not a destination job it has to be one that's not a career killer.

So what you're saying is that we don't have to worry about him taking the UAB job?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »
So what you're saying is that we don't have to worry about him taking the UAB job?

Some Penn State people believe that Mullen is going to be their next head coach, what about MSU?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »
Some Penn State people believe that Mullen is going to be their next head coach, what about MSU?

Ole Miss and MSU are same same.  If you're good, you can go win short term, IF you don't have any bad things happen outside your control.    A good season at either is 9 wins.  That same team could be 4-8 with a key injury or 2.  It's a crap shoot to take either job.  Could make his career with a couple of decent seasons, or kill it with a couple of hard luck seasons.  I do think, at this point in time, MSU is more interested in building their program than Ole Miss is, but who they hire to replace Nutt may say something different, or confirm that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »

What is so great about Mullen?  I fucking hate the big headed son of a bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »

Until this season, all the "football intelligent" fans said he was the real architect of Florida's success, not Meyer. 

And yeah, I hate the fucker too, due to the Cam situation, but I think he's a good coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »

Pfft...that one's going to Jimbo Fisher.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »
Ole Miss and MSU are same same.  If you're good, you can go win short term, IF you don't have any bad things happen outside your control.    A good season at either is 9 wins.  That same team could be 4-8 with a key injury or 2.  It's a crap shoot to take either job.  Could make his career with a couple of decent seasons, or kill it with a couple of hard luck seasons.  I do think, at this point in time, MSU is more interested in building their program than Ole Miss is, but who they hire to replace Nutt may say something different, or confirm that.

Just remember, they fired Cutcliffe who won about 45 or so ball games in 5 years and one game and 3 bowl wins.  One bad season and they hire Ed Orgeron.  Sound decision making is not something I think they will be guilty of.

I think Mullen is a decent to good coach, just in a bad location.  He does seem to have gone to the Les Miles school of clock management at times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »
Just remember, they fired Cutcliffe who won about 45 or so ball games in 5 years and one game and 3 bowl wins.  One bad season and they hire Ed Orgeron.  Sound decision making is not something I think they will be guilty of.

FUCKING THIS ^^^

Still think they were dumb to fire Cutcliffe. DUMB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
FUCKING THIS ^^^

Still think they were dumb to fire Cutcliffe. DUMB.

He was a victim of his own success.  That 10 win season got Ole Miss fans thinking they had arrived and deserved it every year.  They forgot they are Ole Miss, and really, they still haven't come around to reasonable thinking. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 03:13:10 PM »
He was a victim of his own success.  That 10 win season got Ole Miss fans thinking they had arrived and deserved it every year.  They forgot they are Ole Miss, and really, they still haven't come around to reasonable thinking.

So what I'm hearing you say is Alabama = Ole Miss.

Got it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
So what I'm hearing you say is Arkansas = Ole Miss.

Got it.

FIXT
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »

Ohio State gets Meyer. 

Penn State gets No Neck Shrek.  They'll wish that stumpy fuck had some kind of criminal secret in a couple of years so they won't have to pay his buyout. 

I'll be glad when he leaves State.  I always liked them okay and hope to be able to go back to it again one day.  As long as that whining lard toad is there I can't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
"whining lard toad"

:bugs: :bugs: :bugs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »
What he said.  How stressful could it be to call plays for $1.3 million a year.  Apparently, he's not putting a lot of thought into it anyway.

This year? No stress at all.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'