Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."

Ogre

Re: "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
Interesting take from Matt Hayes at The Sporting News:

7. A subtle message

Look, I’m not one for conspiracies, but I’m beginning to think the coaches are making some interesting moves in their weekly poll.

How else do you explain Virginia Tech, long an afterthought with an ugly home loss to Clemson on its resume, moving up to No. 3 in the latest coaches poll after thumping rival Virginia 38-0 and earning a spot in the ACC championship game.

I realize Alabama is strongly positioned at No. 2 in the coaches poll. But is it possible—again, I’m not a conspiracy guy, per se—the coaches voted up Tech in the hopes the Hokies would rout Clemson, avenge their only loss and give the coaches cover for moving VT all the way to No. 2 to avoid the All-SEC BCS National Championship Game?

I know what you’re thinking: It’s all too George Noory for you. But is it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
So what do you do if Okie St. beats OU, and the AP has Bama 2 and computers have Okie St 2.  Right now the computers only have Bama at 2 because they have played one more game than Okie St.

AP doesn't matter.

The coaches and Harris poll gets 66% of the vote and the computers the other 33%.  Yes there are some other factors involved such as points awarded for 1st place and 2nd place votes, but nonetheless, Bama would win enough of the voting to be number 2.

I'm not arguing that the system is logical or that we are getting the best matchup to determine the best team in college football. 

I agree, LSU beat Bama. That game has been decided. 

But the system we have - and this is key - totally separates the BCSCG from the results of the regular season.  All the BCS cares about is who is voted #1 and #2.  And unless you want the voters to blatantly lie about their ranking, they're going to vote Bama as the second best team in the country because they believe that Alabama would beat #3-#120.

Again - it's not right.  But it's what we've got right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »

I was talking to a co-worker about something similar yesterday, a huge bama fan by the way. While some are saying that bama has the easiest route the BCSCG since LSU or others still have to play a Championship game, bama also is out of sight out of mind this week; which may hurt them. If Okie State hammers the Sooners, how does this effect the rankings. I mean, voters will have this fresh on their minds while bamas win over Auburn is old news. This has to play in who gets the votes because it has several times in the past and you couple that with many outside the SEC don't want to see a rematch; I think you have a very serious possibility that bama gets jumped in the final poll.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »

That was part of my (almost**) perfect scenario.   Bama having every reason in the world to believe they are headed to New Orleans until the very last BCS rankings come out and they get nudged to #3. 

**Perfect would have been Auburn winning the Iron Bowl. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »

just sayin'.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:17:17 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:18:15 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »
bet it tasted like chicken
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
bet it tasted like chicken

It was two LSU guys that did that Saturday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Yoda

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
AP doesn't matter.

The coaches and Harris poll gets 66% of the vote and the computers the other 33%.  Yes there are some other factors involved such as points awarded for 1st place and 2nd place votes, but nonetheless, Bama would win enough of the voting to be number 2.

I'm not arguing that the system is logical or that we are getting the best matchup to determine the best team in college football. 

I agree, LSU beat Bama. That game has been decided. 

But the system we have - and this is key - totally separates the BCSCG from the results of the regular season.  All the BCS cares about is who is voted #1 and #2.  And unless you want the voters to blatantly lie about their ranking, they're going to vote Bama as the second best team in the country because they believe that Alabama would beat #3-#120.

Again - it's not right.  But it's what we've got right now.

I meant coaches poll and agree with your assessment.  My point was that the human poll and the computer poll will not match.  I have already conceded to the rematch really don't care anymore will be rooting for LSU.  Hope they get what they deserve
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
I don't want a rematch. I really really don't. I don't want their ilk to even have the chance to scream out "14!!!" from the trailer tops in January. But Bama could not have lost to LSU any closer. Missed FG's and OT. I am not sure how much closer one can get to a win without actually getting it. Maybe a missed xtra point to end a game or something. In the end, the way the system works is based on an educated opinion of who you think are the 2 best teams in the country, not a round robin or who deserves what based on a previous matchup. That's just my perspective.

The 1-1 point you bring up is very valid though and that's where I agree. The system is flawed. A playoff would fix that, as Sani just eluded to.

Well fuck.  John Vaughn doinked a couple of field goals against LSU.  Let's play that one again. 

Back in the 80s, LSU scored late to beat Auburn 7-6.  It was a fucking fluke.  Let's play that game one more time so Auburn can count that national title. 

And fuck.  Van Tiffin kicked a field goal he couldn't make three out of four times in 1985.  We should play that one again and count the SEC Championship that year. 

This entire argument reeks of bullshit.  Close only fucking counts in horseshoes.  And I don't see any motherfucking horses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »
Well fuck.  John Vaughn doinked a couple of field goals against LSU.  Let's play that one again. 

Back in the 80s, LSU scored late to beat Auburn 7-6.  It was a fucking fluke.  Let's play that game one more time so Auburn can count that national title. 

And fuck.  Van Tiffin kicked a field goal he couldn't make three out of four times in 1985.  We should play that one again and count the SEC Championship that year. 

This entire argument reeks of bullshit.  Close only fucking counts in horseshoes.  And I don't see any motherfucking horses.

Its only bullshit because it doesn't mesh with your argument that is purely based off your personal opinion of the team in question. And you know it. You are getting too wrapped up in rematches.

And if we had been the #2 team the year Vaugn missed that FG and LSU #1 at year's end? And that was the only thing seperating us from them? Then hell yes, it would be a legit comparison. But you are rolling apples with oranges here.

Ive already said that the 1-1 scenario is the flaw in the plan as GF mentioned. Its a flawed system. Whoever they stick up there against LSU there is gonna be a con to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
RWS again your argument is fail, you are discussing a playoff system in which we do not have.  Yes the NFL plays rematches but they also have a play-off system.  If we had a play off system and LSU and bama both went through unscathed I would have no issue.  BTW you keep saying there have been BCS rematches, there has never been a BCS game involving two teams that played each other during the regular season.
EXACTLY MY POINT. JR, Kaos, et al are arguing the point of a system that DOES NOT EXIST. They are creating rules that do not exist. They are substituting whatever system they have devised to keep Alabama out of the NCG for the system that we have now. That was my point. And in this system they created, that does not exist, that uses ONLY if/then/else logic to decide who plays in the NCG, ISU could play in the NCG.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
EXACTLY MY POINT. JR, Kaos, et al are arguing the point of a system that DOES NOT EXIST. They are creating rules that do not exist. They are substituting whatever system they have devised to keep Alabama out of the NCG for the system that we have now. That was my point. And in this system they created, that does not exist, that uses ONLY if/then/else logic to decide who plays in the NCG, ISU could play in the NCG.

I'm not creating any goddam rules you goat fucking asstrap. 

I'm saying POINT FUCKING BLANK -- Alabama isn't the second best team in the country for these purposes.  They already lost to number one, so we know how that goes.  Any other one loss team is better than they are so far as determining who the BEST team in the country might be.  Pe-re-fucking-od.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

RWS

« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »
Alabama isn't the second best team in the country for these purposes.  They already lost to number one, so we know how that goes.  Any other one loss team is better than they are so far as determining who the BEST team in the country might be.  Pe-re-fucking-od.
Alabama lost to the #1 team in the country. Nobody is disputing that LSU is the best team in the country right now. Just because Alabama lost to the best, doesn't necessarily mean that Alabama can't be the second best team. I don't know how that could be any clearer. The system puts the best team against the second best team.

Your logic makes no sense.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:18:09 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »
So are you. See my previous point. There ARE no rules.

It's all one subjective ball of goo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »
So are you. See my previous point. There ARE no rules.

It's all one subjective ball of goo.
I'm not making up any point, other than the points I made to show how silly these hypothetical rules are that some of you are creating out of the blue sky. It is very simple:

1. In the system we have now, the system sends the best and second best teams as it determines to the NCG.

2. There is no rule that says a rematch cannot happen.

3. Playoffs in the future would create more rematches of regular season games, if that's what you're specifically trying to avoid.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819686
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:37:45 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »
I'm not making up any point, other than the points I made to show how silly these hypothetical rules are that some of you are creating out of the blue sky. It is very simple:

1. In the system we have now, the system sends the best and second best teams as it determines to the NCG.

2. There is no rule that says a rematch cannot happen.

3. Playoffs in the future would create more rematches of regular season games, if that's what you're specifically trying to avoid.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819686
4. The top two teams don't necessarily have to be the "best" two teams based off of whatever criteria it is you're using that automatically disqualifies OSU, Stanford, VT, or Houston.

And get off your #3 already, that is beyond stupid and completely missing the point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »

I'm not creating any rules MOE RON...they've played, bammer lost, end of STOW REE.  NEXT!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
Alabama lost to the #1 team in the country. Nobody is disputing that LSU is the best team in the country right now. Just because Alabama lost to the best, doesn't necessarily mean that Alabama can't be the second best team. I don't know how that could be any clearer. The system puts the best team against the second best team.

Then there's no fucking need to play it at all.  Been there, done that, LSU plays UGA for all the marbles, they win, and the BCSCG is cancelled. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »

That's not true, why just the other day Trent Richardson said that Alabama was the goodest team in the conference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.