Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

XBox question

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
XBox question
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
Is the 250GB XBox worth $100 more than the 4GB?  What would you save on it that would cause you to need that space?  Seems to me you could get the 4GB version, and add an external hard drive - or would that be slow access?

It's for boys age 10 & 12 (no Sandusky)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: XBox question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
I would go ahead and drop the extra C note.  Gonna be less problems in the long run. 
They are gonna want to save some games on the hard drive so the cd is not constantly spinning. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »
They are buying it themselves with what they have earned & saved from neighborhood grass cutting, etc. (no Sandusky)  So, funds are limited, and a hundred bucks is significant.  They may get some federal fatherly matching funds if the extra space is worth it.  So you're saying you use all that extra space to load the games directly into the player's memory, and avoid the disc-read errors, scratching discs, and wear-and-tear on the disc motor?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:41:45 PM by DnATL »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
They are buying it themselves with what they have earned & saved from neighborhood grass cutting, etc. (no Sandusky)  So, funds are limited, and a hundred bucks is significant.  They may get some federal fatherly matching funds if the extra space is worth it.  So you're saying you load the game directly into the player's memory, and avoid the disc-read errors, scratching discs, and wear-and-tear on the disc motor?
Yep, and the higher grade X-Boxes seem to run into less problems.  I.e. Red Circle of death.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
They are buying it themselves with what they have earned & saved from neighborhood grass cutting, etc. (no Sandusky)  So, funds are limited, and a hundred bucks is significant.  They may get some federal fatherly matching funds if the extra space is worth it.  So you're saying you use all that extra space to load the games directly into the player's memory, and avoid the disc-read errors, scratching discs, and wear-and-tear on the disc motor?

Most games when loaded onto the hard drive will take up about 6 gigs of space.  Trust me even with not loading games on the hd 4 gigs is not much space.  Pops best come off with some matching funds.  or send them to PSU for the weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
Yep, and the higher grade X-Boxes seem to run into less problems.  I.e. Red Circle of death.

I got the RCoD on my first Xbox when the original came out roughly a decade ago. Happened after playing a war game on it after 3 days. Called MS and they told me to send it to them and they would fix for free. They sent it back after about 3 weeks and I havent had an issue with it or my Xbox 360 since.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
I'm just gonna roll the dice with the 4GB for the family and me.  Wally world has a black Friday sale on the 4GB + Kinect for $199 + a $50 Walmart gift card.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

chinook

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »
I'm just gonna roll the dice with the 4GB for the family and me.  Wally world has a black Friday sale on the 4GB + Kinect for $199 + a $50 Walmart gift card.

better get there early.  or buy on line if available for purchase. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »

Is it the Xbox 360 "Slim" that has the 4GB drive?  If so, you may want to consider buying a larger Xbox 360 Original HD for it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Microsoft-120GB-Hard-Drive-Xbox-360-Black-X812646-001-Used-/250938272842?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a6d162c4a) and doing this:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
Is it the Xbox 360 "Slim" that has the 4GB drive?  If so, you may want to consider buying a larger Xbox 360 Original HD for it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Microsoft-120GB-Hard-Drive-Xbox-360-Black-X812646-001-Used-/250938272842?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3a6d162c4a) and doing this:

The pic in all the ads has been the standard size.  WalMart opens at midnight.  I can handle that better than getting there at 3:00 am.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
The pic in all the ads has been the standard size.  WalMart opens at midnight.  I can handle that better than getting there at 3:00 am.

The ad that I see on their website looks like it's the Slim model.  It basically looks like the old regular Xbox 360, except the middle of the console is slightly narrower, and the narrow portion is closer to the bottom.  The "regular" Xbox had a more curved design, with the narrowest portion in the center.

I don't think Xbox sells the "regular" models anymore, e.g. the Arcade, Pro, and Elite models.  So any new model you buy is going to be the Slim model; it's just not expressly referred to as "Slim," due to it being the only design now.

This website indicates that the particular bundle you're looking at is the Slim model:

http://www.trueachievements.com/n6314/walmart-unveils-black-friday-deals-us-only.htm
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:48:01 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »
The ad that I see on their website looks like it's the Slim model.  It basically looks like the old regular Xbox 360, except the middle of the console is slightly narrower, and the narrow portion is closer to the bottom.  The "regular" Xbox had a more curved design, with the narrowest portion in the center.

I don't think Xbox sells the "regular" models anymore, e.g. the Arcade, Pro, and Elite models.  So any new model you buy is going to be the Slim model; it's just not expressly referred to as "Slim," due to it being the only design now.

This website indicates that the particular bundle you're looking at is the Slim model:

http://www.trueachievements.com/n6314/walmart-unveils-black-friday-deals-us-only.htm

Listen to this guy....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »

Thanks!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »
Thanks!

That is a damn good deal though.  I'd keep the hard drive thing in mind, as you should be able to easily upgrade the storage space (if you find later that you need it) for about $30-$40 if you keep a look out on Ebay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »
I just bought my wife the 4G with Kinetic for her birthday, she wants to play the dance revolution games. I'm going to keep playing my Ps3 so I a honey badger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »
I just bought my wife the 4G with Kinetic for her birthday, she wants to play the dance revolution games.
Prowler just gotta dance?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
Prowler just gotta dance?
He shakes it like a salt shaker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

chinook

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »
He shakes it like a salt shaker.

dancin' in the skreets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
better get there early.  or buy on line if available for purchase.

Got in line at Wal Mart.  They literally sold the last one to the person in front of me.  Went to Game Stop who had a similar package for $50 more and got it there.  Black Friday shopping is the suxxors.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
Got in line at Wal Mart.  They literally sold the last one to the person in front of me.  Went to Game Stop who had a similar package for $50 more and got it there.  Black Friday shopping is the suxxors.

Wish I had read this thread sooner...we went to the Wall-Marks an hour or so before the sale was to start and found they had given out the last voucher over an hour before that.  Got to see a couple of cool cat fights though, so the trip wasn't completely wasted.

We ended up ordering the same setup from microsoft directly online yesterday for the same price.  The only thing different was no gift card. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.