Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thanksgiving Menus

Re: Thanksgiving Menus
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »
tl:dr.....lol, you fucked!

Just kidding.  That sucks.  If it's happening at your house, then your house, your rules.  If you don't want the 200 calorie per serving potato casserole, then tell her to leave that shit at home.

Exactly why I insisted on it being at my house.  I figured I'd ease them in slowly.  This year will be normal with turkey done my way and me providing appetizers and a dessert.

Next year a bit more. 

Soon it'll all be mine, and no I don't mind cooking all of the food.  I like cooking and if it's good and unique, I'll have a blast cooking for my family.  Especially if I can convince 15-20 people to come over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
Typical Thanksgiving foods for me as well. One of the things that I don't like is that stupid ass Fruit Salad that some dumb ass always makes and is always thrown away. I think this year we'll be having the Deep Fried Turkey. Thats some good shit. I'm loving the turnips too along with the Deviled eggs. Its my way of getting back at those little snarling or bragging comments from other family members; without even saying a word.

The whiskeys, well it all depends on which family we visit; mine or hers. My side is all about some Ir'sh whiskey in the later hours or Bourbons with dessert. I'm not really a SoC guy but Wild Turkey is the shiznit for the Holidays. It helps you express how you really feel.

Have any of you tried the Wild Turkey Honey?  IMO it's not too bad, and Snaggs won't need to mix it with teh coke products.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »
Exactly why I insisted on it being at my house.  I figured I'd ease them in slowly.  This year will be normal with turkey done my way and me providing appetizers and a dessert.

Next year a bit more. 

Soon it'll all be mine, and no I don't mind cooking all of the food.  I like cooking and if it's good and unique, I'll have a blast cooking for my family.  Especially if I can convince 15-20 people to come over.

I like to cook as well.  I think that is why I volunteer my house so much for all our neighborhood gatherings.  It's a good feeling when you look around and see people laughing and having a good time.  That is a great sign the food is good.  If the food is shitty, it gets really quiet and people stare at one another with that "Damn" look on their face.

Sounds like you have it planned out.  It's what I would do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
I like to cook as well.  I think that is why I volunteer my house so much for all our neighborhood gatherings.  It's a good feeling when you look around and see people laughing and having a good time.  That is a great sign the food is good.  If the food is shitty, it gets really quiet and people stare at one another with that "Damn" look on their face.

Sounds like you have it planned out.  It's what I would do.

Fag....and I only say that because I picture you saying that post like Stuart Smalley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
Fag....and I only say that because I picture you saying that post like Stuart Smalley.

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!

I should kill you for comparing me to Al Franken!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »
Just an aside, this past Sunday my buddy's wife and kids were all out of town.  For no apparent reason, he decided to just spend the day cooking up a bunch of meat and watch football...and NICECAR.  He replaced his Weber in his man-pit with The Egg and decided to do some experimenting. Grilled wings up first, using the main marinade as some Emeril's chicken rub. That was truly bad ass.  He also had a Boston Butt and a huge brisket going/  Had all the coals on one side and the meat on the other. 

I about passed out from the smell. THIS would be my kind of Thanksgiving meal.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »
one of the drawbacks to living in the northwest is ...not being close enough to the grandparents or parents for the way thanksgiving should be "southern style". 

the skirt, growing up and down the west coast, has a much smaller family...and their thanksgiving is just not like home in georgia.   i've tried to bring in some of the southern comfort foods but with much resistance. 

it will be the smallest crowd at thanksgiving for me since i can ever remember.  the skirt's mom past away @ 56 this past spring, her sister will not be there ...so it's 5 of us, the dog and the neighbors dog. 

i am not sure of the menu but i'll be involved with the turkey, drinks and dessert.

the turkey will be smoked using hickory pellets on the traeger.  it will be in a brine for 24 hours, then coated with some sort of rub and stuffed with apples and oranges. 

the dessert...will be a pumpkin/pecan cheesecake recipe stolen from southern living magazine. 

drinks...pre-meal, most likely will be a bloody mary while getting things prepared in the morning.  smoking the turkey drink will be some sort of whiskey and dinner will be served most likely with a local riesling.   afterwards, more whiskey. 

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:14:22 PM by nookie »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »
Can you brine turkey for 24 hours without it being rubbery? 

I thought 6-8 hours was the limit.  This is my first year doing this, so I'm only going by the internet. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 01:54:49 PM »
Have no idea on the brining question.  A turkey is one bird I've never tackled in the kitchen, except on my plate.

I'm like the nookster, this will be a very small gathering.  Most of the family won't be able to make it in town.  The only plus is that for the first time, we're having it at our house so I can follow AUT1's plan above.  Eat, drink, watch football, eat some more, nap, get up, eat, drink and watch some more football.  No drive home. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »

I thought 6-8 hours was the limit.  This is my first year doing this, so I'm only going by the internet.

you know i don't know...i'm not sure why i typed 24 hours.  i've done this 3 times before...each time was overnight...most likely in the 6 to 9 hour range.  my mistake.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
you know i don't know...i'm not sure why i typed 24 hours.  i've done this 3 times before...each time was overnight...most likely in the 6 to 9 hour range.  my mistake.

That's what you get for typing and looking at your own avatar.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
That's what you get for typing and looking at your own avatar.

i would love to baste that ass too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »
i would love to baste that ass too.

For 6-9 hours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
For 6-9 hours.

Shiiiiit, for twenty-fo hours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »

Alton Brown is the god of brining meat products.  Here is one for the smoker

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/honey-brined-smoked-turkey-recipe2/index.html

Here is one for the oven.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

He recommends 8-16 hours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

JR4AU

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
Mom, Brother, Me, and one of my brother's friends, his wife and their kids in from out of town.

Menu:

Appetizer/Pre-meal munchies:

Deviled Eggs:  I make them with Duke's Mayo, a little mustard, dill relish, season with salt, pepper and garnish with Paprika.   

Pimento Cheese stuffed celery. I make this.  This is traditional...it was one of my dads "must haves".   Until recently, had to make my own Pimento Cheese, but a new product out called "Palmetto Cheese" makes that task obsolete.  All previous commercially made Pimento Cheese products sucked hind tit.  Palmetto is teh roxxors, and they even make one with jalapeno's added, and one with bacon bits added. 

Had to take over both these duties from Grandmom.

Main Menu:

Turkey: (Smoked)  I prefer roasted, but my brother wins out here most every year.  He does the work.

Glazed Ham:  Why?  I guess for a change of pace, or maybe for the leftover ham sammiches.  I love ham, but love turkey more, and you can have ham anytime, and even prefer the leftover turkey sammich. 

Dressing: cornbread, no sage, mom hates it.  It's made in the bottom part of that broiler pan that comes with an oven when you buy it. (Tradition)  It's deeper in the middle, and my brother likes his dressing soggy, and I like the crusty edges.  Brother makes this. 

Squash Casserole.  I cook this

Sweet Potato Casserole:  Pecans and brown sugar on top, NO MARSHMALLOWS!  I make this.

Green Beans, seasoned with bacon of course. 

Giblet gravy.  YUM! 

Cranberry sauce. 

"Green Jell-o Surprise":  Traditional side dish from my grandmother.  Green Jello, Cool Whip, chopped pecans, crushed pineapple, and little marshmallows make up this little jello treat that is served on a side dish on a piece of lettuce.   (may leave this off though)

Dessert:

Pecan Pie.  I will make this. 

Grandmom used to make my fave, Coconut Cake, but she's no longer able, and I can't find her recipe. 

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:51:22 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »

Sweet Potato Casserole:  Pecans and brown sugar on top, NO MARSHMALLOWS! I make this.

This man knows.  My folks have 6 pecan trees so we get all the pecans we can handle gratis.  My mom roasts the pecans with butter and salt prior to putting on the brown sugar and using with the casserole.  That little bit of salty mixed with the brown sugar makes me question why we even bother with putting the sweet potatoes underneath.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
This man knows.  My folks have 6 pecan trees so we get all the pecans we can handle gratis.  My mom roasts the pecans with butter and salt prior to putting on the brown sugar and using with the casserole.  That little bit of salty mixed with the brown sugar makes me question why we even bother with putting the sweet potatoes underneath.

Salty nuts eh?

#winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »

TH be very careful with the salt. A Paula Deen recipe fucked up three lbs. of raw peanuts I was planning to boil with her silly-assed measurements. I had to dredge those suckers over and over again. Always read the comments that follow.
I cook too. I make enough dressing to freeze. Exes parents were from northeast and the food always blew. Make T'giving yours brother. Just roll out the spread with five or six courses and there isn't much anyone can say. It's all good, even better when they cease and desist with that shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Operation "Smokey Bird" is underway.  Just threw a small 4lb breast on the smoker.  It should be done about 11'ish.  I will slice it up tonight and then tomorrow before we eat, I will pour a little creole butter injection that I have made extra, pour in a pan and warm it up in that to keep from drying out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions