Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The End of an Era: Paterno is Finished

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: The End of an Era: Paterno is Finished
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
Heard  Heath Evans on Brando today. He said about what I said for most of this. 

Paraphrased :

Everybody talks all bad ass about how they'd confront the guy or go to the authorities. Bullshit. 

Statistics bear it out. 90% of the time when confronted with it in real life people do nothing.  They react out of fear over how they, their organization, their company, their family, their church will be perceived. Self preservation. 

Doesn' make it right, it's just what it is.
Pffffft, bullshit.  Show me these statistics from a source?  You're telling me that Gallop poll did a survey, "I saw child raped and did what?"  Or there was an independant study at www.MJSaysletsbebuddies.com? Pffffft.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:36:55 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

JR4AU

« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »
Pffffft, bullshit.  Show me these statistics from a source?  You're telling me that Gallop poll did a survey, "I saw child raped and did what?"  Or there was an independant study at www.MJSaysletsbebuddies.com? Pffffft.

He's talking about reporting child sex abuse period.  Which most often DOES NOT include catching someone in the act.  I don't know if 90% is accurate, but wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »
Ask Heath.  Don't ask me.  He said 90%.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Token

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2011, 10:20:27 PM »
After listening to Sandusky's attorney?  He should be bludgeoned with a metal meat tenderizer in front of his mother for such a pathetic attempt to justify why his client was taking showers with small boys. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
He's talking about reporting child sex abuse period.  Which most often DOES NOT include catching someone in the act.  I don't know if 90% is accurate, but wouldn't be surprised if it's higher.
Oh, regardless, I just wanted an excuse to use the MJ picture in this thread. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »
Doesn' make it right, it's just what it is.

This is the point that many of us have been trying to make that I guess you overlooked.

It doesn't matter why he turned his head.  It doesn't matter if 90% of people in the same situation have done the same thing (although I seriously doubt that statistic, if accurate in the first place, is applicable to people who have seen a grown man anally raping a child in an open shower room).

The main point is that it was wrong for them to have turned their heads and ignored it.  Sure, point and laugh and call us Peter Parker, Arthur Curry, Clark Kent, or whatever else makes you giggle with glee.  Point to ambiguous, uncited, and probably irrelevant surveys and say that, statistically speaking, we wouldn't do anything either.

But despite what you say, despite what the surveys say, and despite what has become the "norm" amongst companies and institutions like Penn State, I wouldn't stand for it.  Especially not when directly confronted with recurring charges, reports, and suspicious activities.

If you can't see yourself intervening simply because the statistics dictate that you're likely not to, then that's your choice; it's not mine, and I don't see why it's ridiculous for me or anyone else to point out how wrong Joe Pa and a variety of people within Penn State are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2011, 12:33:52 AM »
I think everyone involved should be prosecuted, including Joe Pa (One of my favorite Coaches and someone that I truly respected) & the Second Chance Organization (or whatever it's called). For someone to do something like Sandusky did, to NUMEROUS CHILDREN (close to 20), means that he's knowledge of right and wrong isn't there....but everyone else that knew about it (this started well before the '98 incident) and not put a stop to it, should be held accountable, because they know what's right and what's wrong.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:35:48 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2011, 12:40:41 AM »
This is the point that many of us have been trying to make that I guess you overlooked.

It doesn't matter why he turned his head.  It doesn't matter if 90% of people in the same situation have done the same thing (although I seriously doubt that statistic, if accurate in the first place, is applicable to people who have seen a grown man anally raping a child in an open shower room).

The main point is that it was wrong for them to have turned their heads and ignored it.  Sure, point and laugh and call us Peter Parker, Arthur Curry, Clark Kent, or whatever else makes you giggle with glee.  Point to ambiguous, uncited, and probably irrelevant surveys and say that, statistically speaking, we wouldn't do anything either.

But despite what you say, despite what the surveys say, and despite what has become the "norm" amongst companies and institutions like Penn State, I wouldn't stand for it.  Especially not when directly confronted with recurring charges, reports, and suspicious activities.

If you can't see yourself intervening simply because the statistics dictate that you're likely not to, then that's your choice; it's not mine, and I don't see why it's ridiculous for me or anyone else to point out how wrong Joe Pa and a variety of people within Penn State are.

tl;dr

I didn't get past the first part where you said the point I've been making was actually your point. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2011, 12:41:25 AM »
Reading comprehension (or, rather, the lack thereof) strikes yet again...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:42:07 AM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2011, 12:42:12 AM »
Reading comprehension strikes yet again...

Actually what struck was "dr" 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
Actually what struck was "dr"

Ah, so it's a classic case of "I didn't read your post, but I'm concluding that you agree with me."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2011, 01:04:31 AM »
No dumbass. 

You quoted where I said "Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is." 

And then you said that was the point you were trying to make all along. 

Well no, that was what I said about a kabillion times while the rest of you frothed at the mouth.  The rest of some of you, anyway. 

So when I saw you claim my point as your own?

tl;drtr

Heath says you're a Internet badass who wouldn't back up the words with action anyway. He says you're the 90%.  He's pretty cool so I'm going to go with that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2011, 01:25:17 AM »
No dumbass. 

Uh derp uh derp, I never read your post.

Statistics on sexual child abuse are typically lumped together with general child abuse statistics, including neglect, physical abuse, psychological abuse, etc.  As I stated in my post (which you apparently didn't read), Heath's survey is likely irrelevant to the discussion regarding the Sandusky situation.  Not to mention that one of the individuals involved directly encountered an act, which yet again is probably not the typical situation in your average child abuse survey.

I don't agree with your high and mighty stance that we're all just pussies according to the statistics, and that this is "just the way the world is."

Once more, you repeatedly missed the main point that most of us were making, which is most made evident by this gem:

You're seriously going to tell me that nobody in the history of the world has ever thought about burying something and hoping it goes away until Penn State came along?   Wow. 

As I've stated from the beginning, and have stated in every post since then, the main point was that what was done was wrong.  We weren't concerned with why Joe Pa or anyone else turned their head.  We weren't naive to the fact that people do turn their heads.  We weren't trying to figure out whether Joe Pa was a part of some alleged 90% of pollsters.

We simply stated that he was wrong for doing so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
Statistics on sexual child abuse are typically lumped together with general child abuse statistics, including neglect, physical abuse, psychological abuse, etc.  As I stated in my post (which you apparently didn't read), Heath's survey is likely irrelevant to the discussion regarding the Sandusky situation.  Not to mention that one of the individuals involved directly encountered an act, which yet again is probably not the typical situation in your average child abuse survey.

I don't agree with your high and mighty stance that we're all just pussies according to the statistics, and that this is "just the way the world is."

Once more, you repeatedly missed the main point that most of us were making, which is most made evident by this gem:

As I've stated from the beginning, and have stated in every post since then, the main point was that what was done was wrong.  We weren't concerned with why Joe Pa or anyone else turned their head.  We weren't naive to the fact that people do turn their heads.  We weren't trying to figure out whether Joe Pa was a part of some alleged 90% of pollsters.

We simply stated that he was wrong for doing so.

tl;dr.

Take it up with Heath.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2011, 09:26:33 AM »

:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
"No, I would not go. And no, I would not want my child to go ... The black eye of this alleged cover up certainly would play a major part in my decision or that of my child.''

-- LaVar Arrington, one of the most celebrated Penn State football players in recent history, writing on his blog -- "Hard Hits,'' on washingtonpost.com -- about whether he would choose to attend Penn State if he had to make that choice today, and whether he would want his child to attend the school.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/14/Week10/index.html#ixzz1dmqL07Rk
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »

First words out of Bob's mouth:  "Where there's smoke, there must be fire." 

I no longer believe in smoke. 

Acquittal. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »
First words out of Bob's mouth:  "Where there's smoke, there must be fire." 

I no longer believe in smoke. 

Acquittal.

If the condom doesn't fit, you must acquitt?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »

That interview was strong.  Costas pulled no punches and Sandusky is fucked. 

The biggest load of bullshit: his lawyer announcing that despite the state's best efforts, it was Sandusky that found the 10 year old rape victim from 2002.  He is going to come forward and exonerate ol' Jerry.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »
Pulitzer prize winning author now on Finebaum repeating my basic line of thinking and questioning.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions