Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I Just Gained Respect For One LSU Player

I Just Gained Respect For One LSU Player
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »
BATON ROUGE — If he has any spare time this week, LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery should try to find a copy of the movie, "Forrest Gump."

Gump is a fictional story amid true historical times in the 1960s and '70s and beyond and includes a segment about legendary Alabama coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, who won 13 Southeastern Conference titles and was credited with six national championships while with the Tide from 1958-82. Bryant, who died in 1983, remains one of the winningest coaches in history at 323-85-17.

Montgomery was asked about Bryant during player interviews on Monday night as No. 1 LSU prepares to play at No. 2 Alabama on Saturday at 7 p.m. on CBS.

"I don't know anything about Bear Bryant," Montgomery said. "I really haven't looked at film that much."
Montgomery, a sophomore from Greenwood, S.C., was thinking Bryant was a current Alabama player.

When told he was a former coach, Montgomery said, "Oh, a coach. I have no idea. I wouldn't know anything about that. Too way back for me. I thought Bear Bryant was a player. I didn't know what was going on. That was a curve ball question."

Bryant actually did play at Alabama as well, from 1933-36.

Montgomery meant no disrespect. He admitted in previous interviews he barely follows college football. When South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier visited Greenwood High when Montgomery was being recruited, Montgomery said he did recognize the coach.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20111102/SPORTS/111020307/Who-Bear-Bryant-
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:19:20 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: I Just Gained Respect For One LSU Player
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's funny on so many levels
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »
I have a feeling that the trees in Mr and Mrs Montgomery's yard are about to die.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »
I have a feeling that the trees in Mr and Mrs Montgomery's yard are about to die.

Roll Damn Tide
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Token

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:01:49 PM »
But for real though, why in the hell is someone asking about Bear Bryant?  Seriously?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »
But for real though, why in the hell is someone asking about Bear Bryant?  Seriously?
I believe that's one of the many levels Snaggle was referring to.

The author of this article seems pissed. "Hasn't this guy seen Forrest Gump! I mean, come on! Six national championships! Gah!"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
I believe that's one of the many levels Snaggle was referring to.

The author of this article seems pissed. "Hasn't this guy seen Forrest Gump! I mean, come on! Six national championships! Gah!"

Egg Zachary.  Aside from the obvious opportunities to poke fun at rival fans and the author....anyone notice it's game week...you know (Insert huge scrolling THE that I can't do myself) and your starting defensive end hasn't looked at much film?

Co say dey purty good.  He say Trinrichsun run hard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Egg Zachary.  Aside from the obvious opportunities to poke fun at rival fans and the author....anyone notice it's game week...you know (Insert huge scrolling THE that I can't do myself) and your starting defensive end hasn't looked at much film?

Co say dey purty good.  He say Trinrichsun run hard.
dat burbrant block pretty goo fo him too
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
dat burbrant block pretty goo fo him too

What wrong wit da Coach dey gots now.  He Coach purty good don't he?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
You're a bammer and you don't know why someone would ask an opposing player, that's about to play against uat, if they know who the "greatest coach to ever walk the sidelines" is? Seriously? I mean, come on! Put on your Houndstooth outfit and think about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »

Actually...I'm pretty sure the author was taking an implicit jab at Montgomery.

"Bear Bryant" (or any variation thereof) was never mentioned in the movie Forrest Gump.  Shown?  Yes, but he was never referred to by name.  At least, I don't recall his name being mentioned.  Thus, the only way you'd even know it was Bear Bryant is if you were familiar with his iconic appearance and the fact that he coached at Alabama.

Considering that Montgomery had never even heard the guy's name, I'm relatively sure he wouldn't know what he looks like or that he was at Alabama...and thus the Forrest Gump comment seems to be an attempt to call Montgomery a tardbomb by referencing a movie about a tardbomb football player.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 01:24:30 PM »

"Bear Bryant" (or any variation thereof) was never mentioned in the movie Forrest Gump.  Shown?  Yes, but he was never referred to by name.  At least, I don't recall his name being mentioned.  Thus, the only way you'd even know it was Bear Bryant is if you were familiar with his iconic appearance and the fact that he coached at Alabama.

Considering that Montgomery had never even heard the guy's name, I'm relatively sure he wouldn't know what he looks like or that he was at Alabama...and thus the Forrest Gump comment seems to be an attempt to call Montgomery a tardbomb by referencing a movie about a tardbomb football player.

The only productive thing this post did was show me that you have obviously seen Forest Gump more than I.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 02:36:44 PM »

Bear's name was mentioned in Forrest Gump.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »

tl;dngaf
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.