Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Roll Tide/War Eagle

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Roll Tide/War Eagle
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
There was an advanced screening at the Alabama theater. It got good reviews from homers of both sides of the rivalry. I'm pretty pumped to see it. Got the DVR set. Next Tuesday.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/espns_roll_tide_war_eagle_film.html

ESPN's 'Roll Tide War Eagle' film: Cam Newton heard the music at Alabama, then wrote own finish

Published: Tuesday, November 01, 2011, 9:12 PM
Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

AUBURN, Alabama -- Cam Newton heard the music and didn't like it. So as Alabama took a shot at him and played "Take the Money and Run" before the Iron Bowl last year, the Auburn quarterback considered the possibilities.

"I felt as if I had the whole crowd in my hands and my performance can either crush it, or my performance can give them what they want," Newton says.
Newton takes us through that day on the way to a victory  and on to the national championship in ESPN's "Roll Tide-War Eagle" film about the heated rivalry that will air Nov. 8 at 7 p.m. Central Time. It was no ordinary trip in this extraordinary rivalry, as this well-done age-old story of the two teams unfolds with lots of history and interviews from both sides of great coaches, great players, colorful fans and interesting characters. There's plenty to like for both camps, like the personable Newton and Greg McElroy of Alabama. Alas, ESPN uses over-the-top fan Harvey Updyke most of the way to demonstrate what the rivalry has become to some. Newton is just one of the chapters in the film.

ESPN gave a sneak preview of the show at the Alabama Theatre in Birmingham on Tuesday night.

Newton showed up in Tuscaloosa trying to do what Alabama had done the Iron Bowl before -- win the game, go on to the national championship and produce a Heisman Trophy winner. Newton matched it. The NCAA would later say he and Auburn were on the up and up.

Cue the music in Bryant-Denny. Was Newton listening?

"It was different for me because of all the scrutiny that I went under through the NCAA investigation," Newton said. "I felt as if the whole crowd was out to get me. And what was most disrespectful, I felt, was when over at the whole arena, they played 'Take the Money and Run.'"

That's when Newton said he could either "crush it" or "give them what they want."

Auburn won 28-27.

Bo Jackson, Charles Barkley, Gene Chizik and Pat Dye are entertaining among Auburn's former players and current and past coaches interviewed. Alabama players and coaches balance the film.

Jackson, at one point, says of the big and athletic Newton: "It was like he dropped in to Auburn from outer space" and "when I met him for the first time, it was like, 'Wow, this kid needs to lay off the caffeine.'"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

Re: Roll Tide/War Eagle
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »
I was actually surprised to see people from both sides who enjoyed it.  Maybe this flick will calm some of the stupidity that is seriously getting out of control.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:15:44 AM »
I was actually surprised to see people from both sides who enjoyed it.  Maybe this flick will calm some of the stupidity that is seriously getting out of control.

Shut the hell up, Bammer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:18:28 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
I think that is one thing that is pretty cool about Newton, and probably why he has been received so well in Carolina. He can just turn "it" on and give a big "fuck you". He put AU on his shoulders that day and willed them to a win. Guys like that are few and far between.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

noxin

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
I think that is one thing that is pretty cool about Newton, and probably why he has been received so well in Carolina. He can just turn "it" on and give a big "fudge you". He put AU on his shoulders that day and willed them to a win. Guys like that are few and far between.

Helps that bammers are quitters
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:28:32 AM »
Best 18 posts in the business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »

I didn't just snicker...I laughed audibly...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »

That’s easy to say now. How would feel if some overzealous admitted Auburn kook burned down yawls favorite trailer park.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
That’s easy to say now. How would feel if some overzealous admitted Auburn kook burned down yawls favorite trailer park.

Bad comparison. A trailer park is not something unique to them. They have 1000's of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
Ain't watching that program any more than I'm watching THE GREATEST GAME EVER TO BE PLAYED this weekend.

Nothing for Auburn folks to see there. Just more sucking of the Bammer root.

No thanks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »
Bad comparison. A trailer park is not something unique to them. They have 1000's of them.

And dune gnoew adn got a buok about em:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:54:57 PM by dallaswareagle »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
And dune gnoew adn got a buok about em:

Speaking of....well, sort of speaking of....the National Peanut Festival Fair is setting up here in Dothan as I type.  For those that haven't been, it's a who's who of Southeast Alabama, Southwest Georgia and Northwest Florida trailer trash.  There is more Bama gear worn each night than there will be a BDS Saturday.  However, if you like a good ole trashy fair, some killer corn dogs, kettle corn, polish dogs and big ass turkey legs..and Lord knows I do.....Saturday is the night to go and jump on any ride, play any game and get anything you want to eat with no wait.  There will only be 6 people in attendance.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
http://www.warblogle.com/2011/11/03/football/an-auburn-homers-review-of-r-t-war-eagle/

An Auburn Homer's Review of "R--- T---/War Eagle"

Let's clear this up right now: I am not a film reviewer. I do watch lots of scary movies and one day hope to make my own, but I have never been given the task of watching something for the purposes of reviewing. That being said, I do feel like I can watch a movie/show/documentary and give you my thoughts on how it was made, how the points were presented, and how I felt just after it was over.

I should start this by reminding you that I have only seen "R--- T---/War Eagle" once, in a theater, without taking notes, and without the ability to pause or rewind. I was also tweeting some of the major points in hopes to give you some idea of what it as all about, so I'm sure I missed a few things. I must also tell you that the first five minutes are a blur because I couldn't hear half off it. Why? Well, apparently the Alabama fans in attendance have have Crimson Tourette's and have to scream uncontrollably any time they see someone connected to Alabama.

The screams rivaled anything you would hear on any gameday, only this was at a movie, in an old-timey theater in downtown Birmingham. Considering there were people from ESPN there, people like Bruce Feldman, I was sincerely embarrassed as a Alabama citizen. But that's another blog for another time. On to the show...

As most Auburn fans expected and feared, the opening shot of "R--- T---/War Eagle" is of Paul Finebaum's studio, shortly followed by a few of the famous calls to the show from the past few months. I immediately suspected my assumption was truth, but fortunately I was proven wrong by the end of the documentary.

As a whole, Finebaum is quite objective, paints a pretty fair picture, and mostly talks about the rivalry in general without taking any real jabs at any one side. He's mostly only the focal point in the beginning as they set the scene for the Harvey Updyke situation, but over the course of the documentary he only pops up a few other times. I can't remember one thing that he said that I did not agree with. When does that ever happen? It goes to show the lengths the filmmakers went to make sure this was not a one-sided affair.

Some may ask why a radio talk show host is even in a documentary about the Auburn/Alabama, but like it or not, his show has become the medium for most of the craziness that has occurred over the last two years. You may think he doesn't know his stuff in terms of X's and O's, but this was a show about rivalry, and his platform is this most entertaining and the best known platform out there.

As far as the calls from his show that were played, I thought surely that they would be misused to portray the entire state as a bunch of lunatics that have nothing to do but to call a radio show. Maybe it's because I know that the callers don't represent the entire state, but I never got that vibe. I took these segments to be comic relief, and so did the crowd. Auburn and Alabama fans alike were laughing together at the stupidity that is spewed on Finebaum's show each day. But therein lies a small problem. Will the rest of the country realize that these callers are the lunatic fringe? Probably not. But believe me, Auburn fans really need not worry, except when Tammy's talking. (I love you, Tammy.) The dumb was heavy in Crimson. As is the truth in all things.

Another fear that Auburn fans had expressed all over message boards, Twitter, etc. was that ESPN would portray Alabama as the big brother, while Auburn would be portrayed as the little farm school fighting for scraps. That was not the case.

There were multiple interviews with coaches and players on both sides that helped tell a pretty accurate story of the rivalry. Pat Dye, Bo Jackson, and Charles Barkley stood their ground and didn't pull any punches. They told it like it was, and did it in a very funny and entertaining way. The documentary lives on one-liners and these three were the main contributors.

On the other side, Mark Ingram told us in multiple ways that he hates Auburn, which he should, and Greg McElroy told a story about how Alabama fans were texting him the night before the 2010 Iron Bowl letting him know that the game would define his legacy, one year removed from his own National Championship. This did not help the "just one crazy" argument we've heard since Updyke came on the scene.

Speaking of Updyke, as expected, Harvey is one of the main focal points. He is interviewed, explains his hat collection, and is shot in many artsy, sitting-on-a-railroad-track-while-chunking-rocks sorts of ways. You won't really learn anything new about him. He is exactly what you know from hearing him on Finebaum. He still hates Auburn and is not remorseful for what he's done, although he claims he didn't do it.

The Cam Newton saga gets some play. Cam is interviewed and talks about "Take the Money and Run" being played at Bryant-Denny. You'll like that part. There's no more of this mouth-covering stuff going on. Like the other Auburn guys in the piece, he tells it like it is, or actually was.

However, there was one small thing that irked me when watching his segment. At the time of the interview (July 2011), the NCAA investigation involving his recruitment was still open. As he did most of last season, he says that he is unable to comment on the situation because "as they say, it's an open investigation," followed by a really big grin that will infuriate the world outside of Auburn. The producers quickly cut to another scene, leaving that smile as the last thing you see from Cam.

To some it may look like he was smiling in a "I got away with it" way, but in all actuality it was likely a smile of "sorry, I know I say this a lot." It really was just Cam being Cam, and the people who hated it before will still hate it now.

For the most part, I felt the documentary was fair and did a decent job of showing the world how we got here. You can't put 100 years of history in an hour and rightfully give enough time to the last two years, but I feel like they did the best job possible.

You all know that if there was anyone that would find something wrong with anything that's talking about Auburn/Alabama, it would be me, and I just don't remember anything that made me too mad when I left the theater. I'd say that after you see it, if you are upset, then you are just looking for things to be upset about.

You should be left with a sense of pride once it's over given that it's just the story of the rivalry in its current state and that Auburn has the most to brag about right now. It's the truth and they portray it how it is. There is no "yeah Auburn won last year, but they are still in the shadow of Alabama." They just tell the story, and right now, in terms of Auburn-Alabama, until November 26, 2011, the story is good for Auburn fans.

When it comes down to it, this documentary was not made for Auburn and Alabama fans. It was made for the world to get a deeper glimpse at Auburn and Alabama fans. I think it does that in a very entertaining way. Fans of both schools should be able to look at it and think "man, we have some idiots." Let's just hope the rest of the world doesn't see it and think "man, they are all idiots." I don't think they will. In my opinion, it is a must watch.

You can watch "Roll Tide/War Eagle" next Tuesday, November 8th, at 7pm CT on ESPN. If you can't see it at that time, and haven't upgraded to a DVR, here are a few other air times:

FRIDAY, NOV. 11 -- ESPN2: 1 a.m.

SATURDAY, NOV. 12 -- ESPN2: 8 a.m.

SUNDAY, NOV. 20 -- ESPN2: 11:30 p.m.

SATURDAY, NOV. 26 -- ESPN2: 8:30 a.m.

SUNDAY, NOV. 27 -- ESPN2: 1 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »
I have no interest in this at all.  I doubt I will watch it.

We aren't defined by them and I don't care to be compared, contrasted or evaluated based on their ignorance and general stupidity. 

They are, however, defined by us.  The end all and be all of their existence comes down to about three hours in November.  There is nothing else for them.  So fuck them all, fuck their mothers, fuck their sisters, fuck their brothers, cousins, uncles, aunts, nephews, neices and bastard children.  If every Alabama fan on the face of the earth disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't bother me a bit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »
I have no interest in this at all.  I doubt I will watch it.

We aren't defined by them and I don't care to be compared, contrasted or evaluated based on their ignorance and general stupidity. 

They are, however, defined by us.  The end all and be all of their existence comes down to about three hours in November.  There is nothing else for them.  So fuck them all, fuck their mothers, fuck their sisters, fuck their brothers, cousins, uncles, aunts, nephews, neices and bastard children.  If every Alabama fan on the face of the earth disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't bother me a bit.

I know when I see you have responded, I'm going to get at least a little chuckle.  I do, however, think your post is what the movie is all about. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
I know when I see you have responded, I'm going to get at least a little chuckle.  I do, however, think your post is what the movie is all about.

He's in the movie.....in a threesome with the Houndstooth Twins
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
Speaking of....well, sort of speaking of....the National Peanut Festival Fair is setting up here in Dothan as I type.  For those that haven't been, it's a who's who of Southeast Alabama, Southwest Georgia and Northwest Florida trailer trash.  There is more Bama gear worn each night than there will be a BDS Saturday.  However, if you like a good ole trashy fair, some killer corn dogs, kettle corn, polish dogs and big ass turkey legs..and Lord knows I do.....Saturday is the night to go and jump on any ride, play any game and get anything you want to eat with no wait.  There will only be 6 people in attendance.   

You going Sunday right? Maybe we can take some pics for the X of Bammers in the fried spam contest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »

Oh yeah....THIS ^^^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »

Didn't say I wanted to kill them all. Just that I wouldn't notice if they all disappeared.  Well, unless I went to Wal Mart and there were no cashiers. 

And the houndstooth twins?  The only way I'm in a three way with those skank nasty whores is it was a snuff film and I was doing the snuffing.  If the only three people left in the world were me and those two pig-eyed crab carriers? The human race would die out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.