Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Barbee-Q

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Barbee-Q
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Quick article about Corch Barbee meeting with students and student leaders about supporting the team and finding out ways to make the game experiance better.  First off, I love the positive outlook Barbee has and where he thinks this program is headed.  Second, this is the kind of thing that I don't think Lebo did much of.  I may be wrong but I never heard about it.  Reminds me of Bruce Pearl at UT.  Yeah, he screwed up, but in his time there, he got amongst em'.  He made the students and fans feel like they were part of the program.  Same type thing with guys like Trooper.

AUBURN - Head basketball coach Tony Barbee hosted over 700 students at his Barbee-Q event in the Auburn Arena on Thursday. The students were treated to a barbecue dinner and a patented coach Barbee pep talk on the upcoming season.

"What a difference a year makes," Barbee said. "It seems like yesterday that I had the introductory press conference here at the Auburn Arena. I've been all over the state recruiting and this program is getting better by the day. These guys have been working their tails off and they will never give up on our team or for you, the fans."

Barbee first met for roughly 30 minutes with 20 student leaders that consisted of members of SGA, fraternities, sororities and non-Greek organizations prior to the start of the event. It included an informative session in which Barbee asked the group ways that he could improve the Auburn students' experience at games and in turn, the enthusiastic leaders inquired about what they can do to help both the team and the program as well.

"It is going to take everyone to be invested and committed to the growth of this program," Barbee said. "We all want a top 10 team in the country and we're almost there. I'm excited to be here and I'm excited about the direction this program is heading. We have improved immensely and the talent level has increased, but we all have to do this together."

With the Auburn cheerleaders and Tiger Paws in attendance, the students lined up and entered the arena through their own entrance and helped themselves to a free barbecue dinner.   

Barbee reminded students who attend SEC games that they will have a chance to win a giftcard for textbooks from Anders Bookstore. He also informed the crowd that at every home game, one lucky student will have a chance to capitalize on making a series of shots for a prize of $5,000 presented by Golden Flake.

"You all are a part of my team," Barbee said. "You need to realize the impact you all have on our program. There is no other sport like college basketball where the students create an atmosphere like they do at some of the top programs in the nation."

In a change from prior seasons, Barbee announced to the students that the team will now be entering through the student-side entrance to start a new "Tiger Walk"-type tradition for basketball. He also announced that the students will get a chance to vote on a nickname for the student section in hopes that the Auburn student body will develop its own traditions as well.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

Re: Barbee-Q
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
one word...

win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
one word...

win.
Winning cures everything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
Winning cures everything.

This.  The reality is that I'll be satisfied if Barbee can make this program at least competitive on a consistent basis.  You know, at least occasionally be one of the 412 teams that make the NCAA.  Auburn has the sporatic run for a couple of years but as was posted a while back, statistics bear out that this program is one of the worst in the history of the SEC.  Not at the bottom, but Miss. State football kind of bottom.  Just get us to 20 wins and at least "On the bubble" and I'll be fine with it. 

I'm just tired of losing to Presbyterian, Bethune Cookman and Samford all in the same season. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
I'm just tired of losing to Presbyterian, Bethune Cookman and Samford all in the same season.

Those are up and comers. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
Those are up and comers.

Double tough competitors.  Scrappy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
Double tough competitors.  Scrappy.

and taller than us.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."