Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Can anyone explain

Xanusus

• Admit it, I'm sexy
Can anyone explain
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
delay of game on the defense? That is the first time I have ever seen that called.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: Can anyone explain
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
delay of game on the defense? That is the first time I have ever seen that called.

That's a first for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »
I've seen it before. I want to say it was called against Auburn a few years ago. I didn't understand it then and I still don't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »
No, other than making contact with the ball prior to the snap or inhibiting the official, I can't see any instance when something like this might be called and then it would be probably fall into the category of unsportsmanlike conduct.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
The only way it can be called is if the defense inhibits the offense from getting the play off.  IE, kicking the ball when it's on the ground, running when you've called a fair catch, etc. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
There are a variety of ways that a delay of game could be called on the defense.

The rarest of those is through having illegal equipment.  Each time a ref discovers illegal equipment prior to a play, the offending team is charged with a timeout.  If they have no timeouts, then they get a delay of game penalty.

A more common way (although still pretty rare) is for the defense to not "promptly" get their substitutions on the field and their replaced players off the field.  The offense is prevented from running to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball if the defense is still in the process of substituting, so the defense has to get their substitutions completed in a reasonable period of time.  I would imagine this is a judgment call by the ref that is only made in extreme instances.

Also, if you've got coaches or players who are not in the game that are on the field of play during a play, or are between the sideline and coaching line during a play, then a delay of game penalty will be called.

If you call a timeout but then, at the end of the timeout, your team is not ready to play, then a delay of game will be called.

These are all relatively rare.  The most common delay of game penalty you'll see on the defense (or, at least, the most common ones that I've seen) is when defensive players are deliberately being slow to unpile after a play, or are otherwise holding down/back offensive players and preventing them from getting back to the line of scrimmage for the next play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:46:54 AM »
I think I have seen it called if the defense is yelling out an offensive cadence. But I have rarely seen the delay of game called on a defense. An explanation by the official would have been nice.

Just a little blurb like, "Number 94 was trying to pay QB on the wrong side of the ball resulting in a delay of game on the defense..."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
I think I have seen it called if the defense is yelling out an offensive cadence. But I have rarely seen the delay of game called on a defense. An explanation by the official would have been nice.

Just a little blurb like, "Number 94 was trying to pay QB on the wrong side of the ball resulting in a delay of game on the defense..."

This is what I think also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »

I bet AWK got called for that many times when he couldn't resist the opportunity to jump over there and get "under center".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions