Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A reminder of the craziness that is AU vs LSU

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
A reminder of the craziness that is AU vs LSU
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/900392-looking-at-the-auburn-lsu-rivalry-1994-defense-auburn-defense

Looking at the Auburn-LSU Rivalry: 1994 Defense, Auburn, Defense   
By Michael Abbott (Contributor) on October 18, 2011 531 reads 0 
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
The Auburn-LSU game is always huge and the 1994 game was no exception. LSU traveled to Auburn, AL. to face the No. 11 Auburn Tigers. Not only was Auburn highly ranked, but was riding a 14-game winning streak in Terry Bowden's second year at Auburn's coach.

After a scoreless first quarter, Auburn took a 3-0 lead early in the second quarter. However, that wouldn't last long. On the next possession, LSU threw a 76-yard touchdown pass to take the lead and quiet the rowdy Auburn faithful.

The next LSU possession was an omen of what was to come. LSU running back Jermaine Sharp fumbled in the end zone and was recovered by Auburn for a touchdown. The PAT was no good, leaving the score 9-7. But before the half ended, LSU added a field goal to take the lead 10-9.

The third quarter started with an Auburn punt. The next three possessions were turnovers—first a pick by Auburn which led to a fumble which led to an LSU fumble.

With these two teams, no one should be surprised.

But finally, LSU struck first with a field goal. Auburn's offense wasn't playing well at on this day and, by the end of the third quarter, LSU had a 20-9 lead after a touchdown before the quarter ended.

Early in the fourth quarter, LSU added another field goal to extend the lead to 23-9. The way the Auburn offense was struggling, most fans who are honest will tell you they thought the day was done. LSU had come in to Auburn, knocked off the 11th-ranked Tigers and ended coach Bowden's win streak.

What is the best Auburn-LSU game?

Submit Vote vote to see results
Defense Auburn Defense.
Strange things happen in the series, strange things. On LSU's next possession, Ken Alvis picked off LSU quarterback Jamie Howard and returned it 42 yards for a touchdown.

Defense Auburn Defense.

On the next LSU possession, after the interception, LSU put the ball in the air again only to see it picked off by Fred Taylor and returned 32 yards for a touchdown. The score was tied at this point 23-23.

But LSU wasn't going away, driving the ball down the field to give the purple tigers a 26-23 lead with just over five minutes to play. No way Auburn's defense could do it again. Two picks for a touchdown in a game is lucky, three would be amazing.

Defense Auburn Defense.

After yet another punt by Auburn, LSU took the field again. Howard dropped back to pass and the unthinkable happened. Brian Robinson picked the pass off and ran it in for the score. Auburn led 30-26.

The fisty Bayou Bengals wouldn't give up. On their next possession, they drove to the Auburn 25-yard line. But Auburn got another interception by Robinson and returned it 36 yards before he fumbled back to LSU with another chance to reclaim the lead. It seemed the great effort by he the Auburn defense was about to be for nothing.

But this day belonged to the Auburn defense. Chris Shelling picked of yet another Howard pass to finally put a end to the game and give Auburn a 15-game win streak. It was the fifth pick of the day.

The offense had a total of 165 yards and no touchdowns. It goes down as one of the most unlikely victories, scoring 30 points without the help of the offense.

The game was believed to have cost LSU coach Curly Hallman his job and quarterback Jamie Howard received death threats after the game.

They love their football in Baton Rouge, as do the Auburn fans, which makes this rivalry one of the most fun and entertaining games in college football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: A reminder of the craziness that is AU vs LSU
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
That was my favorite game of all time I have been to in JHS. That shit was crazy!

I went to the game with my best friend growing up...who turned out to be Aubie for 2 or 3 years. After we scored the third TD. He took off his shirt and ran around the wall giving all the people on the front row high fives. He fell onto the field. The cops were coming but he managed to get back in the seats and disappear before being caught...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:50:57 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »
That was my favorite game of all time I have been to in JHS. That shit was crazy!

I too was there.  Almost as fun as the fumble on the screen pass by Bama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:52:04 PM »

I was there that game too...that was up there.

I still like the '04 LSU game and '06 or '07 UF game better though...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:17 PM »

One of my buddies still rips me about that game.  4 of us went and were sitting in 2 different sections.  Things obviously were going well at that time for AU with all the consecutive wins and all the experts said we were supposed to handle them that day.  On the way to the stadium, I was like, "Okay, if we're up by 3 or more touchdowns at the start of the 4th....which we should be...let's meet up at..."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
I remember I was dating one of the Auburn Majorettes that season, and was so pissed when we were down 23-9, that the only reason I didn't leave was I promised her I'd meet her after the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
I remember I was dating one of the Auburn Majorettes that season, and was so pissed when we were down 23-9, that the only reason I didn't leave was I promised her I'd meet her after the game.

I did it all for the nookie, come on...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
I did it all for the nookie, come on...

I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
I was also at the "gym burning" game
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »

I was too. We were on the upper deck with our backs facing the gym and had no clue what had happened until we got home...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »

I was at that game.  I gave Quentin Riggins a piggy back ride after Robinson went in for the score.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
2 things about the game itself that I recall, other than the INT's.  First, your very own BBQ Joe Frazier and I believe, DE Gabe Northern for LSWHO, walking off at halftime. It looked like their facemasks were locked up and they were walking down the center of the field just smack talking the hell out of each other until they finally separated and went in the locker rooms.  Last 2 off the field.

Plus, at one point when things weren't going so skippy, Bowden replaced Nix with Dameyune Craig, who comes in with us 1st and 10 from about our own 3. They run one unsuccessful running play and Craig steps away from the huddle to see the hand signals from the sideline.  An LSU DB sees what's going on and realizes he's in Craigs way, so he makes sure he stays between Craig and Bowden.  Craig jumps to the right and so does the LSU player.  He jukes left but can't shake him.  Then the LSU player literally starts waving his arms and jumping like a basketball player trying to stop and in bounds pass.  Craig had to call a TO.  I had to give the guy credit.  Emabrrassing as hell, but heads up on his part.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »

I know whose unburnt grill coles started that fire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
I know whose unburnt grill coles started that fire.

I know I spilled my whiskey drink all over the old codger in front of me.  He was pissed.  I was drunk.

Got left at the Burger King in Eufaula that night too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
I know I spilled my whiskey drink all over the old codger in front of me.  He was pissed.  I was drunk.

Got left at the Burger King in Eufaula that night too.
Pissed the wife off?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
I was too. We were on the upper deck with our backs facing the gym and had no clue what had happened until we got home...

I was in the upper deck facing the fire.  Looked like y'all were gonna burn up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/900392-looking-at-the-auburn-lsu-rivalry-1994-defense-auburn-defense

Blah blah bad writing blah...

The fisty Bayou Bengals wouldn't give up. On their next possession, they drove to the Auburn 25-yard line. But Auburn got another interception by Robinson and returned it 36 yards before he fumbled back to LSU with another chance to reclaim the lead. It seemed the great effort by he the Auburn defense was about to be for nothing.

Blah blah more bad writing blah

Bleacher Report is the SUCK.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
Bleacher Report is the SUCK.

On the next LSU possession, after the interception, LSU put the ball in the air again only to see it picked off by Fred Taylor and returned 32 yards for a touchdown. The score was tied at this point 23-23.

I don't recall a Fred Taylor playing for Auburn?  I think it's Fred Smith.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions