Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Unreal Flash Engine

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Unreal Flash Engine
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »
What is one of the world's most popular 3D engines, the same one used to power many of the most popular console games in the world, also ran in your web browser? That would be pretty interesting, right?

Things just got interesting: Epic Games has announced that their incredibly popular Unreal Engine 3 now works in Adobe Flash, demoing a version of Unreal Tournament 3 running inside the new Adobe Flash Player 11.

That means porting existing games to work in a browser-based solution—and there are a ton of games on Unreal Engine 3—would be more or less turnkey.

A quick look at the screenshots provided by Epic indicate that the engine isn't as powerful as a non-browser-based engine—no big surprise there—but that it's still very much a "real" 3D experience. (I haven't yet seen the engine in motion.)

Even better, developers will be able to migrate their games from, say, iOS over to a browser-based environment without much hassle, making it possible to easily sell browser-based games that play the same games as apps on mobile devices.

But the real thing that should make you arch an eyebrow is Facebook. Nearly every game you can play on Facebook runs on Flash. And now Flash can run hardware-accelerated 3D, just like Real Games.

For those going ???...i.e. the game's on your phones are about to get alot better, not to mention games you can just play online without dumping it onto your HD, like Facebook games and such.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Unreal Flash Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »
I tried to look this up on my iPhone.  Couldn't see it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.